• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F1721 doesn't scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Hello,

I recently got IC-1721 off of ebay for ham use (analog), Rx/Tx very well but does not scan, given that I have properly programmed scan lists into the radio. I just upgraded to the latest firmware 3.1 and that did not fix the problem. Any idea why? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I recently got IC-1721 off of ebay for ham use (analog), Rx/Tx very well but does not scan, given that I have properly programmed scan lists into the radio. I just upgraded to the latest firmware 3.1 and that did not fix the problem. Any idea why? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Is the mic hook grounded?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The mic has to be grounded for scan to operate. The metal on the back of the mic needs to be in contact with ground, or the radio goes into monitor, thinking you're about to make a transmission.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Or modify your HM-152 to ground itself out. The gray lead that is connected to the mike hook knob can be connected to pin 2 (counting from the left to right) on the PCB where the leads are soldered from the mike cable. Voila. Your mike is grounded and your radio will scan.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Or modify your HM-152 to ground itself out. The gray lead that is connected to the mike hook knob can be connected to pin 2 (counting from the left to right) on the PCB where the leads are soldered from the mike cable. Voila. Your mike is grounded and your radio will scan.

DO NOT solder the leads together on the radio itself! It will work to force on-hook, but you will not be able to read or write the radio (communication uses the #8 'CLI' hook lead).

Pinout:
1: +8VDC for condenser mic bias and DTMF buttons
2: [CLO] Clone data out
3: AFO out (not speaker line level by default, but can be changed in some radios)
4: PTT (low to TX)
5: [MICE] Mic audio ground (Mic audio is balanced for noise reduction)
6: [MIC] Mic audio in
7: [GND] Chassis ground
8: [CLO] Clone data input when programming, AND low to put radio in mic-on-hook state.
NOTE: Icom's numbering, which may be backwards depending on how you look at the connection. Easy test to identify pin 1 is by checking for +8VDC when the radio is on.

Unlike Icom's newer radios ignoring the hook state is not a software option. There is a solder "bean" marked "CP1" on the F1721/F1821 front face board for the exact purpose of telling the radio to ignore the on/off hook state. A tiny drop of solder will make the radio think the mic is grounded no matter what, plus it will not interfere with programming.

Or you can ground the mic internally. Same effect, but from experience mics can be a pain to take apart while the front board solder bean is right out there and easy to get to without disconnecting the ribbon cable..

Or you can get a HM148G which has a split hanger button on the back. As long as the front half and the back half are connected by the hanger the radio is 'on-hook". A must for plastic dashes where grounding the hanger is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.