Icom IC-PCR1000 - best software and power supply voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8tzl2004

I have recently acquired an old PCR1000. It was just the black box and serial lead, no other accessories.

I have a "collection" of older laptops so installed the official Icom software (which I downloaded from Icoms website) on an XP machine with a real serial port.

It worked first time...and the PCR1000 also has the UT-106 DSP option unit installed :) I'm surprized how well the PCR1000 works using a 10m dipole on HF and a 2/70cms colinear on VHF/UHF. RX sensitivity is good especially using the narrow 6KHz filter on VHF/UHF and the radio appears to be spot on frequency...not bad for a 20 year old radio.

I have 2 questions:

What is the best software to use with the PCR1000? I have read about TalkPCR but the links to the software are dead and its not been supported for years. Do the various 3rd party software versions do anything that the official Icom version does not do?

The PCR1000 runs hot!!! I am using a quality linear regulated 12v 700mA power supply...which is just OK according to the service manual as the PCR1000 draws 700mA at max volume. I presume that the PCR1000 uses a voltage regulator that operates across a range of voltages. Maybe using, say, a 10v power supply will not generate as much heat? Does anybody know the actual voltage range for the PCR1000? The service manual says 13.8v +/- 15% (ie 11.7v to 16v) but maybe the radio will actually operate at a lower voltage which will stop it getting so hot?

Thanks

a417

The PCR1000 runs hot!!! I am using a quality linear regulated 12v 700mA power supply...which is just OK according to the service manual as the PCR1000 draws 700mA at max volume. I presume that the PCR1000 uses a voltage regulator that operates across a range of voltages. Maybe using, say, a 10v power supply will not generate as much heat? Does anybody know the actual voltage range for the PCR1000? The service manual says 13.8v +/- 15% (ie 11.7v to 16v) but maybe the radio will actually operate at a lower voltage which will stop it getting so hot?
If the service manual says 13.8 v +/- 15% .... that's the actual voltage range for the PCR1000. Can't get much more authoritative than that. That 15% covers depleted vehicle battery voltages up to high charge rate voltages. I would never intentionally undervolt a radio to limit heat. I would add a fan or heatsinks...or heatsinks and a fan.

g8tzl2004

The later PCR1500 SM specifies 12v +/- 15% (10.2v - 13.8v) rather than 13.8v +/-15% for the PCR1000..so maybe there was a typo with the PCR1000 SM?

I remember an Icom tech telling me that the PCR1500 should be run at 10v to stop overheating...so maybe its the same for the PCR1000??

a417

The later PCR1500 SM specifies 12v +/- 15% (10.2v - 13.8v) rather than 13.8v +/-15% for the PCR1000..so maybe there was a typo with the PCR1000 SM?

I remember an Icom tech telling me that the PCR1500 should be run at 10v to stop overheating...so maybe its the same for the PCR1000??
Oh, if you heard it from a tech, there might be a company stance on that issue. You could try contacting them for definitive information?

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
My old R2500 came with an Icom linear wall wart that's marked as having a 10.5 VDC output.
It's been a long time since checking it with a meter but I'm pretty sure it was also unregulated so it would have relied upon the current draw to determine the actual voltage at the R2500.
It has a current rating of 1800 ma.
I can't get at the wall wart for my old PCR-1000.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
What is the best software to use with the PCR1000? I have read about TalkPCR but the links to the software are dead and its not been supported for years. Do the various 3rd party software versions do anything that the official Icom version does not do?

IMHO, the best VHF/UHF software for the IC-PCR1000 is Probe1k Software . It is a DOS program, you can run it on Windows 10 using the DOSbox emulator. Another great software package is Spectrum Commander IX . Spectrum Commander is not cheap but worth every penny. I also still use Scancat Gold SE which I can run on Win 10 using Oracle Virtualbox with WinXP. MAKE SURE before dabbling with any software, you back up your EEPROM because if it gets corrupted, and you have no backup, you are screwed . I use pcr1000bur1v2p.exe software, you can find it with a Google search. Have Fun

g8tzl2004

Is it possible to back up the EEPROM using the Icom PCR1000 alignment software (EX-2099)?

Ubbe

Maybe using, say, a 10v power supply will not generate as much heat? Does anybody know the actual voltage range for the PCR1000?
All devices in it uses regulated voltages, even the audio amplifier runs on 8 volt.

The most sensitive regulator seems to be that 8 volt one that requires a minimum of 10 volt to work properly. The other voltage regulators, even the +33 volt one for the VCO work at lower input voltages.

/Ubbe

morfis

In the UK the PCR1K was supplied with Icom branded power supply marked 12V 1A output. Never noticed any of mine getting hot (all contain the DSP board) but they are certainly warm.
TalkPCR was nicer than the Icom software but I used Probe1K for it's FAR superior scanning/searching functionality (and because I use it with my Optocom and PRO2042).
There is some software called PCR1000 BUR (or similar...it's on a drive not connected to my network...was it also writen by Pete Mahy?) which was used for backing up the EEPROM. Pete certainly wrote a webpage about the RS232 commands needed.

GlobalTuners (called JavoRadio 22 or so years ago when it started) network was built to use the PCR1K
More recently there was a network enabled piece of software for controlling Icoms called PCRAnywhere. Seemed to be heading in good directions and then development stopped.

There were also other pieces of control software and software for using the PCR1K in a trunk-tracking environment aimed more at US users.
Command-line and linux programs available and those included ones to allow control via IRC and MPT1327 trunked net decoding.
Very well supported back in the day

Most of these things can still be found online and it's probably worth looking at the internet archive/waybackmachine

g8tzl2004

OK on the minimum voltage to support all the voltage regulators being 10v...so maybe using, say, 10.5v might help the PCR1000 run a bit cooler.

I'm using a true linear regulated 12v 700mA power supply so there is no voltage drop under load and the PCR1000 runs warmer/hotter than I would like...although its only really hot where the regulators are located...not all over the metal case. I was aware that the PCR1500 runs hot at 12v...but if I had not been then I might have been more concerned !!! I expect receivers to generally run cool!! I saw a picture on the internal showing discoloration marks on the PCR1000 PCB due to the heat generated by the voltage regulators. It was remarked that the voltage regulators should have better heat sinks fitted!!

OK on the Icom branded 12v 1A power supply. I guess it will be an unregulated power supply...like my Icom 12v 1A fast charger power supplies...but this suggests that the voltage under load will be slightly higher than 12v as the PCR1000 current consumption under load is 600-700mA rather than 1A.

OK on the TalkPCR, Probe1K and PCRAnywhere software.

I've decided to also dig out my old Palm III PDA and try the IP1KC and PCRPilot software and see if that reduces some of the QRM generated by my XP laptop which is controlling the PCR1000 :)

What happens if the EEPROM gets corrupted and no backup has been saved? Is it possible to use an EEPROM back up from another PCR1000? Will using EEPROM data from another PCR1000 result in the alignment data being wrong? Is the EEPROM storing the "operating system" so the PCR1000 does not function if the EEPROM gets corrupted...or is it just the alignment data saved in the EEPROM that is lost?

How many of you have experienced a corrupted EEPROM?

Thanks

Ubbe

...or is it just the alignment data saved in the EEPROM that is lost?
I think it was something else, like an electronic serial number that doesn't matter for proper operation. The adjust values seems to be the same for the same batch or year of manufacturing. But there are differencies between large jumps in serial numbers, maybe they use other components from another brand, so better find a dump file with as close serial number as possible.

If you have an adjustable RF attenuator, $15-$25, you can listen to a constant signal and adjust attenuation to be noisy and then tune to strongest signal. Using a program to show bandscope you can calibrate the frequency to any of the digital transmitters that almost always use a GPS controlled frequency standard.

/Ubbe

PACNWDude

Ok, I am going to dig out and dust off my old PCR-1000. Thank you morfis for posting newer/better software for the Icom PCR-1000, as I only have the bonito software it came with, which is very lacking. I did at one point also have Palm Pilot software that let me control it via Palm Pilot. As for power, I am not sure.....will have to find it first to confirm, it should have the wall wart power supply it came with. I stashed mine when I realized the software was the real limiting factor.

g8tzl2004

I did some more digging and it seems that there are a few ways to save the EEPROM data:

- PCR1000BUR 1v2 Plus
- SavePCR1000 by Bonito
- TalkPCR control software also has an EEPROM save function

The SavePCR1000 software also appears to be able to restore "typical" or "median" values if the EEPROM data has been lost.

Has anybody used the SavePCR1000 software?

Apparently the EEPROM gets corrupted due to using "unofficial" control software...so maybe it is always better to start with the official Icom software and confirm that the PCR1000 is working OK before experimenting with 3rd party software?? The latest version of the Icom software is reported as being much better than earlier versions.

I have dug out my Palm III (works OK after 10 - 15 year storage!!!) and Palm IIIxe (does NOT work...only hear inverter whine). I have also dug out a Belkin Palm III to DB9 serial cable and confirmed the pin outs are OK.

I have checked the PCR1000 service manual and I think the PCR1000 is wired internally to use a straight through DB9 serial cable...so DB9 pin 2 RXD goes to TXD on the PCR1000 board. I need to check the serial cable that came with my PCR1000 (which works OK) but I think both the male and female DB9 plugs on the cable should be pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 3 etc etc (ie it NOT a null modem cable with pin 2 RXD to pin 3 TXD etc). I will confirm this later.

The Palm III serial cable uses a female DB9 and the PCR1000 DB9 is also female...so I will need to find a straight through (NOT a null) DB9 gender changer or homebrew a straight through DB9 male to DB9 female adapter (I think!!!)

I need to confirm all the above...not all serial cables are wired the same :)!!!

g8tzl2004

I have checked out the serial cable which came with my PCR1000 (which is NOT the official Icom cable) and it is a straight through cable with pin 2 to pin 2 etc and NOT a so called null modem cross over cable.

I think many DB9 serial patch leads which might be in a junk box are null modem cables which are NOT wired pin 2 to pin 2 but pin 2 to pin 3 etc...so beware :)

I saw a You Tube where the person was using BOTH a gender changer and a null modem adapter with the serial cable...so I guess that user had a null modem serial cable and then used a null modem adapter to convert the null modem serial cable to a straight through cable ie cross over followed by another cross over to get back to a straight through serial cable!!!

So I now need to homebrew a gender changer adapter (straight through male DB9 to female DB9 adapter) in order to use the Palm III with the PCR1000.

g8tzl2004

More thoughts....Palm III pin 5 TXD goes to DB9 female pin 2 (RXD) on Palm cable...which goes to the "Icom" DB9 straight through patch male pin 2 (RXD) and female pin 2 (RXD) which goes to a gender changer and then PCR1000 pin 2 (TXD on internal PCR board)...which is WRONG, I think.

So a null modem adapter is required as Palm III pin 5 TXD must go to PRC1000 pin 3 RXD...and without a null modem adapter its Palm pin 5 TXD to PRC1000 pin 2 TXD?????

So I think I need to build a gender changer/ null modem cross over adapter OR use a null modem serial patch cable rather than the official Icom straight thru serial cable with a gender changer adapter???

No wonder EEPROM corruption was an issue :)!!!!!

I will NOT connect up the Palm III until I have worked out the wiring 100% :)

Any views?

g8tzl2004

I downloaded the Palm Desktop 4.1.4 for Windows (15.39MB) for the Palm III from a link on the Brighthand Form by SyncRaven called "New Palm Desktop Download Page Online" dated 26 Oct 2021.

The link is Palm Desktop – Syncpedia File Library

This installed OK on my XP machine. I had a few problems linking my Palm III to my XP machine...this was due to the Palm Desktop defaulting to only USB sync rather than serial sync. I only found this out when I clicked on the small Hotsync toolbar icon and the options appeared :)...there was no obvious "Set up" procedure to specify serial comms!!

I was able to install the IP1KC Palm app to control the PCR1000...but I think this might be version 1 and I understand there is a version 2.

I have not yet attempted to use the Palm III with the PCR1000 until I have 100% figured out the wiring connections...I don't want to corrupt the EEPROM :)

Ubbe

There's nothing you can do to the serial port wiring that could corrupt any part of the memory.

It's very likely a problem with the firmware in the receiver. It probably can't handle the speed of the data properly and a buffer overflows creating an issue in the receivers software that are not anticipated in the code by the software writers. Or the actual memory IC are of a bad quality.

/Ubbe

g8tzl2004

Can somebody confirm that it is OK to replace the "official" Icom straight through male to female DB9 cable and replace it with a male to male null modem with full handshake DB9 serial cable??

The Palm serial female DB9 will then connect to the male null modem DB9 cable with the other male end connecting to the PCR1000 female DB9 socket.

Ubbe

One tip to remember are that if a serial cable have females at both ends it is almost certain to 99% a null modem cable. If it has one female and one male it is a standard extension cable. If it has two male connectors all bets are off. All computers always have male connectors and use a female-male serial cable to connect to other "dumb" devices. When connecting from a computer to another computer you have to use a female-female cable connected as null modem.

If I look at the docking station for Palm III it has the standard female 9-pin d-sub to make a direct connection to a computer. You will have to use a null modem cable or adapter between Palm and pcr1000. Using any number of standard extension cables, male-female, will not change anything, it's just an extension.

If I remember correctly, one pin to the pcr1000, maybe it was DTR, had to be held high or the pcr1000 would power down after a while. Don't know if a Palm device will hold that pin high. Maybe the documentation for the Palm app says something about it.

/Ubbe

g8tzl2004

I went through my DB9 junk box and found a DB9 male to DB9 female null modem cable which is a "full handshake" version with pin 6 and 1 linked to pin 4 , as well as the usual pin 2 to pin 3 , pin 3 to pin 2 etc. But most of the DB9 male to DB9 female cables in my junk box were straight through cables. I could not find a DB9 male to male null modem cable which is what I need, I think.

I am learning about serial cables 20 years too late!!!!! ...full handshake, partial handshake, loopback handshake etc etc :)

Some of the adapters to buy new seem pricey for 20 year old technology...I will probably homebrew a DB9 male to DB9 male (full or partial?) null modem adapter as I have plenty of DB9 male connectors in my junk box.

I think the PCR1000 service manual shows 2 "open links" at pin 1 DCD to pin 8 RTS and pin 6 DTR to pin 4 DSR. I'm not sure what they do.

My Palm IIIxe has come back to life after 24 hours in a warm house!!! Previously at power up all I got was a low level inverter whine with no display and reset had no effect. My Palm III was in the same box in the same "cold" out building but that worked 1st time after 15 years. The IIIxe had some old rechargeable AAA batteries still installed ( you should ALWAYS remove batteries even if you think you will use the device after a few months...15 years later :)) which had partially corroded so maybe that had caused some tarnishing of some internal connectors and the warm house heat helped to "expand" the pins a bit to reconnect everything??.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.