• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom Multi-band

12dbsinad

Icom America announced at IWCE of their new P25 Multi-band concept portable radios. Sounds like they have finally decided to get on the band wagon! Don't have a lot of details other then they will be offered in standard black as well as high visibility green. So stay tuned for future updates!

12dbsinad

Wow. Icom doing something way out on the edge, finally.
Maybe they are realizing they need to either up the game or get out of the game totally (at least in P25 offerings). We'll see if the support/technical services improve.

Either way the competition in the market place is a wonderful thing for taxpayers!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Still waiting on single band demos from APCO last year, Icom ghosted us and doesn't really seem interested in selling us radios. No problem as MSI, JVC Kenwood and L3Harris all provided demos of their latest products and all three of them have subscribers on our system as a result.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Still waiting on single band demos from APCO last year, Icom ghosted us and doesn't really seem interested in selling us radios. No problem as MSI, JVC Kenwood and L3Harris all provided demos of their latest products and all three of them have subscribers on our system as a result.
Same. I had huge interest in their product and we were in the market for portables at the time. Ghosted us as well. Everyone else seemed to cough up the time and energy for us.

crazyboy

Wonder if they fixed these issues.

For what it's worth, these radios were once provisionally approved for use on MPSCS, which is one of the oldest and largest statewide radio systems in the world with over 140,000+ subscribers; after waiting nearly 3-4 years for firmware enhancements to resolve outstanding issues, coupled with the complete lack of Failsoft operational support, numerous encryption and TDMA anomalies and the lack of import/export abilities in the CPS, they're provisional approval was rescinded and their radios were removed from operation on the system. I would suggest, if these radios were being properly vetted by system administrators and not vendors trying to sell a product to make a quick buck, they would be dropped from many other approved systems as well as they just do not meet current P25 specifications for most modern P25 Phase 2 trunking environments or updated TIA standards in 2024. For the money, EFJ, Tait, and even BK are listening to the industry, whereas Icom is not. At this point, Icom should focus on the business they do best, amateur, marine, aviation, and low-cost business and industry two-way radios and leave the public safety market to the professionals...

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Wonder if they fixed these issues.

I won’t touch them until they’ve addressed these issues.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
These issues have not been fixed to-date, no new firmware has been released and there has been no contact from Icom either to advise otherwise; we consider this a dead product. Even the BKR-9000 is light years ahead of Icom in the P25 sector, and I do not believe a multiband is coming based on direct experience with Icom engineering over many years, even if it does, their P25 code stack is so outdate, it’ll be plagued with firmware deficiencies and lack current TIA-102 requirements.

12dbsinad

These issues have not been fixed to-date, no new firmware has been released and there has been no contact from Icom either to advise otherwise; we consider this a dead product. Even the BKR-9000 is light years ahead of Icom in the P25 sector, and I do not believe a multiband is coming based on direct experience with Icom engineering over many years, even if it does, their P25 code stack is so outdate, it’ll be plagued with firmware deficiencies and lack current TIA-102 requirements.
It's coming, along with new P25 repeaters. FYI, there has been several firmware updates.

As far as comparing it to BK, well, I worked 5 years after hearing about it and retired, then got hired part time because I was bored, then stopped for a few months, then started back again and BK STILL hadn't released the damn product. So, not sure I would count them as top players either.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
It's coming, along with new P25 repeaters.

As far as comparing it to BK, well, I worked 5 years after hearing about it and retired, then got hired part time because I was bored, then stopped for a few months, then started back again and BK STILL hadn't released the damn product. So, not sure I would count them as top players either.
We’ll all I can say about the BKR-9000 is that it passed ATP first time and meets current TIA-102 and DHS CAP protocols, works properly on a Motorola Phase 2 system, etc. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not without it’s issues, but at least BK, Tait, JVCKenwood, L3Harris are receptive to feedback and have, and are actively developing and fixing issues noted and are all approved for use on our very large statewide system. If Icom does return or introduces a multiband radio, it will be checked very closely under a microscope during ATP and won’t get approved unless they are 100% compliant. Like I and others have said, Icom is so far behind it’s nearly impossible for them to gain any traction in the industry, though I wish them luck trying.

12dbsinad

We’ll all I can say about the BKR-9000 is that it passed ATP first time and meets current TIA-102 and DHS CAP protocols, works properly on a Motorola Phase 2 system, etc. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not without it’s issues, but at least BK, Tait, JVCKenwood, L3Harris are receptive to feedback and have, and are actively developing and fixing issues noted and are all approved for use on our very large statewide system. If Icom does return or introduces a multiband radio, it will be checked very closely under a microscope during ATP and won’t get approved unless they are 100% compliant. Like I and others have said, Icom is so far behind it’s nearly impossible for them to gain any traction in the industry, though I wish them luck trying.
I agree, Icom is lacking in the P25 world. But to compare them to BK in my opinion puts both in the same boat regardless if it worked or not. The company couldn't even get the FCC certifications right to market the product and took literally forever and many didn't even think it would happen. Like step 101. Not bashing BK here, but each have their problems. Now, just because it's not approved on your system doesn't mean that is true for everyone because they have many in use, and approved.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I agree, Icom is lacking in the P25 world. But to compare them to BK in my opinion puts both in the same boat regardless if it worked or not. The company couldn't even get the FCC certifications right to market the product and took literally forever and many didn't even think it would happen. Like step 101. Not bashing BK here, but each have their problems. Now, just because it's not approved on your system doesn't mean that is true for everyone because they have many in use, and approved.
Without getting into great detail, I do have intimate knowledge of the Icom hardware and both Icom and BK had issues with FCC on 700 MHz for much the same reason, both eventually resolved their issue, but when it come to the RF testing under CAP, Icom barely passed on 700 MHz and on UHF, they performed even worse, where’s BK did not. All I am saying is that while others companies are actively developing and evolving, Icom engineering managers poor decisions are what has stifled their P25 products and Japan cannot get out of its own way in order to move forward. Now here in 2024, with many bringing not only multi-band but also multi protocol subscriber radios, Icom is way behind the industry, Tait‘s TP9900 is essentially going to wipe Icom off the map at its feature to value ratio.

12dbsinad

Without getting into great detail, I do have intimate knowledge of the Icom hardware and both Icom and BK had issues with FCC on 700 MHz for much the same reason, both eventually resolved their issue, but when it come to the RF testing under CAP, Icom barely passed on 700 MHz and on UHF, they performed even worse, where’s BK did not. All I am saying is that while others companies are actively developing and evolving, Icom engineering managers poor decisions are what has stifled their P25 products and Japan cannot get out of its own way in order to move forward. Now here in 2024, with many bringing not only multi-band but also multi protocol subscriber radios, Icom is way behind the industry, Tait‘s TP9900 is essentially going to wipe Icom off the map at its feature to value ratio.
Oh trust me, I have more knowledge then I care to admit or share on here with Icom for various reasons. All I can say is Icom is going to get a wake up call if they want to continue in the P25 market.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I'm actually curious to see if they do come out with a decent radio mainly for the SAR world. I fight CCR stuff all day long with members who want dual band instead of carring 2 radios. We actually use alot of ICOM as well as MSI stuff. The MSI gear is used where it has to be used but many teams and members pay for stuff out of pocket. The state contract prices on ICOM for some of them odels makes it acheavable for members to grab radios via the team. Being we are promarily VHF with pocket of UHF it would be nice to have a analog only economy radio for those purposes. Not all our members need to be on P25 or TLMR system. But I agree its a long time coming. I was with a shop 20 years ago when they took on ICOM and was told then they were planning a dualband U/V then. Its still not here.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Icom's latest P25 subscribers are struggling to work acceptably on trunking systems. Their firmware leaves a lot to be desired and having Japan try to understand standards here is a work in progress shall we say.

I can't imagine a dual or triband radio...

12dbsinad

Icom's latest P25 subscribers are struggling to work acceptably on trunking systems. Their firmware leaves a lot to be desired and having Japan try to understand standards here is a work in progress shall we say.

I can't imagine a dual or triband radio...
While I agree with you here, not ALL Public Safety here in America are running TRS's, rural USA is alive and well on conventional analog/digital systems with a need for multi-band subscribers at small town prices. Not that this means they don't need to get their act together, but if the price is very reasonable for a scalable radio they may have a slight market at these area's that are stuck between a Baofeng and a APX-8000. Although, Tait and Kenwood/EFJ have come to market radios as well and you can't forget about Harris. I think Icom is overdue with a multi-band subscriber and they are certainly able to make a good product that customers want if they get their head out of the sand.