Intruder Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Some courthouses in New York State are using wireless microphone systems that transmit continuously on 145.800 MHz in the 2 meter ham band. This is a space downlink frequency.

I have positively identified Clifton Park in Saratoga County. There is also a transmitter in downtown Albany, but I'm not sure which of the various courts in the vicinity is using it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On the other hand, I'm sure the news media would love to have live audio feeds directly out of the court rooms.

Seems like someone screwed this one up. I'm sure a gentle reminder to the courts that they are afoul of the FCC rules would resolve this easily.

WB4CS

While I know this is the WRONG thing to do, I can't help but be a little facetious.

I imagine if you and another ham friend park in front of the courthouse and have a nice long QSO on 145.800 running about 50 Watts would get their attention :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
INTRUDER ALERT

While I know this is the WRONG thing to do, I can't help but be a little facetious.

I imagine if you and another ham friend park in front of the courthouse and have a nice long QSO on 145.800 running about 50 Watts would get their attention :)

It sure would get their attention! Probably come out and tell you it is 'their' frequency and that you need to change! Ahhh the fun to be had at their expense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jdobbs2001

Some courthouses in New York State are using wireless microphone systems that transmit continuously on 145.800 MHz in the 2 meter ham band. This is a space downlink frequency.

I have positively identified Clifton Park in Saratoga County. There is also a transmitter in downtown Albany, but I'm not sure which of the various courts in the vicinity is using it.

how do you know its not a bug :) Maybe they need to send someone with a Scanlock to find it. :)

Sounds a bit odd for the FCC to approve a wireless mike that transmits on that frequency.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Sounds a bit odd for the FCC to approve a wireless mike that transmits on that frequency.

There are scads of wireless devices that are not only unauthorized, they are specifically prohibited by the FCC, yet people buy them and use them.

D

DaveNF2G

These devices are probably being operated under the (wrong) assumption that they are legal under Part 15. Most hams would not interfere with them - thus making the courthouse people aware of the frequency conflict - because the frequency in question is a space downlink and we ground-based operators are not supposed to transmit there.

Nobody can get a license or approval from the FCC to use amateur frequencies anonymously - especially in the most popular ham band - without a ham license. Not even government entities.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
INTRUDER ALERT

Whomever set the equipment up most probably wasn't thinking about the legality of the issue at all, imho. They were just asked to find an inexpensive wireless mic to set up by a superior of some sort, they went online and bought one. I think very few folks, outside of radio industry professionals and (hopefully) most hams, are aware that there are even any rules about rf devices at all!!

But that sure would be some fun monitoring!!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
It's actually very common. I drive past churches that are broadcasting on 145.8 all the time.. Usually lasts a second or two as I drive by, and then disappears.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My guess is that it is a harmonic. Lots of wireless mics sold are on 72.9 MHz, or 145.8 / 2.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't imagine any manufacturer mass producing wireless mic equipment to transmit on a amateur frequency, only to have the stuff come back to bite them. I have no doubt it's a 2nd harmonic.

n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

That is an interesting suggestion and I will check the possible fundamental next time I have a chance.

However, if their RF field strength on the harmonic is excessive, then they are still "intruding" into a band where they have no operating authority.

WB4CS

That is an interesting suggestion and I will check the possible fundamental next time I have a chance.

However, if their RF field strength on the harmonic is excessive, then they are still "intruding" into a band where they have no operating authority.

I wonder when Baofang started making wireless microphones? :p:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.