Is BCD325P2 a good purchase?

kickflip

Hi,
First time here and new to DMR and trunked systems.
I'm trying to listen to a trunked cap+ single site system with about 6 TGs. Will the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner trunk trace? My initial route was to purchase a Mototrbo radio (prob xpr3500e) to monitor this and other similar systems and then someone on reddit suggested to get a scanner. I'm very new to all of this so I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track with this scanner. Thanks!

(also if it does work how would i go about programing it)

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Yes a 325 will trunk track a DMR tier III system. You need to purchase the DMR upgrade key to receive DMR on the 325.

Would probably be good to list the specific system you are talking about so someone can give you more detailed info about it. Could be encrypted or have some other issue.

Always best to use software (I suggest ProScan) to program a scanner and a Radio Reference premium help to allow you to just import data from RR instead of typing it in by hand.

Last edited:

kickflip

Yes a 325 will trunk track a DMR tier III system. You need to purchase the DMR upgrade key to receive DMR on the 325.

Would probably be good to list the specific system you are talking about so someone can give you more detailed info about it. Could be encrypted or have some other issue.

Always best to use software (I suggest ProScan) to program a scanner and a Radio Reference premium help to allow you to just import data from RR instead of typing it in by hand.
This is the system I’m trying to monitor. Thanks for the info.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't have any issues monitoring the system above with your BCD325P2 but as aforementioned you'll need the DMR paid upgrade. $60.00 if you buy direct from Uniden. You'll need to buy the scanner first before buying the upgrade as the scanner's 14 digit Electronic Serial Number (ESN) will be needed for the purchase. I advise against buying the paid upgrade via third party retailers as they mark up the price on paid upgrades considerably.

kickflip

You shouldn't have any issues monitoring the system above with your BCD325P2 but as aforementioned you'll need the DMR paid upgrade. $60.00 if you buy direct from Uniden. You'll need to buy the scanner first before buying the upgrade as the scanner's 14 digit Electronic Serial Number (ESN) will be needed for the purchase. I advise against buying the paid upgrade via third party retailers as they mark up the price on paid upgrades considerably.
Are there any other scanners can trunk trace a system like this or is it just uniden? One thing I’m on the fence about is the double a batteries. Thanks

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Are there any other scanners can trunk trace a system like this or is it just uniden? One thing I’m on the fence about is the double a batteries. Thanks
Well ... you could get a Uniden SDS100 which uses a proprietary battery pack. You can also run the 325 on an external battery pack or usb power source. Just depends on how mobile you want to be. If you want to be stationary connected to a computer there are other options.

The non-Uniden scanners don't trunk track DMR, but they can receive the voice channels without regards to trunk tracking or filtering by talkgroup. Depends on how busy the system is on how much of a PITA this will be.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
The other alternatives to a scanner with batteries (be it AA, a proprietary battery pack, whatever) is a base unit which uses wall power or a software defined radio which is reliant on a computer and software to drive the SDR. Believe you me I'll take the AA batteries any day over a proprietary battery for many reasons, particularly the AAs are much easier to acquire

Last edited:

kickflip

Will the 325 be able to monitor all dmr trucked systems from Motorola (ex. cap+ multi site, cap max etc)

Appreciate all the help and clarification

HandiScratchy

I have a bcd436hp that uses 3 AA batteries. I bought three packs of energizer rechargeable batteries and charger that can charge 3 batteries (some only charge even numbers). I store the batteries in plastic holders as sets of three and rotate through them. I've been doing this for a few months now and it's working well. Since you only need 2 batteries at a time you could probably get by with one 4 pack and the standard charger.
The BCD325P2 size is right but you might want to look at the BCD436hp. I bought mine lightly used for about the same price as a new 325.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
On thing mentioned is the SDS100 has a battery pack might be aa good choice.
And buy a spare Battery Pack

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Whistler makes scanners that can do this - I have not used any - so I cannot help with which ones - on thing mentioned is the SDS100 has a battery pack might be aa good choice.
And buy a spare Battery Pack
None of the Whistler scanners can trunk track a DMR system. They focus on receiving transmissions that have the DMR emissions code, They can be programmed using the talkgroup IDs, but they do not follow a conversation.

If the system of interest is not very busy, that may suit your purpose even though it’s not actively following a given TGID.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
None of the Whistler scanners can trunk track a DMR system. They focus on receiving transmissions that have the DMR emissions code, They can be programmed using the talkgroup IDs, but they do not follow a conversation.

If the system of interest is not very busy, that may suit your purpose even though it’s not actively following a given TGID.
Thanks for the correction - I edited my post - glad you caught it soon enough for me to edit it!

bearcatrp

Reason why I bought the 325P2 is for DMR and backup P25. Yes, you need to get a external battery and cord which I have. There is a post here I posted for the cable and good battery. Get about 24 hours of scanning. Still looking for a case that will hold both.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Reason why I bought the 325P2 is for DMR and backup P25. Yes, you need to get a external battery and cord which I have. There is a post here I posted for the cable and good battery. Get about 24 hours of scanning. Still looking for a case that will hold both.
Depending on how you like to carry the case, soft sided ammo/gadget pouches are available in a variety of materials, colors and configurations.

Peruse this vendor to get an idea of what's available: Evike.com Superstore
Here's the specific link for electronics and gadget pouches: Tactical Gear/Apparel, Pouches, Electronics & Gadget Pouches - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

bearcatrp

Plan on checking out an army surplus to see if the have the old mag pouches. I looked on your link hoping to see similar but those pouches are not what I want. Thanks for the link though.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
If you're looking for programming/power cable for the 325p2 or 436hp I got a few Monoprice ones off Amazon that someone on here recommended (sorry, I forgot your name) they work perfect and feel just as good if not better than stock. Cheap, too..

Monoprice 3-Feet USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable with Ferrite Core (Gold Plated), White (108633) https://a.co/d/iibly9D

bearcatrp

Received my army ammo pouches today. Finally found something that works to hold both radio and usb battery. Have to do a little modifications but will post a picture when I am done. If you plan to get one, get the 70's era ammo pouches that hold 3 mags. Perfect fit. Got mine from army surplus world.