• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is Mobile Use of CB Radios Becoming Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorZ

But, carrying a copy of your own license is not hard to do, and may be all that's required to resolve a situation. No, no one is going to force you to carry it, but it's easy enough to print out your own off the FCC license manager page to just toss it in the glove box.

I'm required to carry a copy of my Ham License because I have a police scanner in my vehicle and my Ham License is my "permit" to have the scanner in my vehicle.
I'd love to hear a solution to requiring some level of personal responsibility in society. Social media shaming hasn't seemed to have much impact.
The only solution that makes sense is to eliminate the text messaging technology from society. It's a horrible inefficient form of communication anyway, encourages poor spelling and grammar, and breaks all the traditional rules of typing. If you wish to communicate with someone either call them up or use your 2-way. No more texting tech period!

DoctorZ

The most extreme example I can recall is how driving is viewed in Germany vs. the US.

Americans treat driving as a necessary chore and a license is a virtual right [it is not]. An operator license costs around two hours of minimum wages in the US and it can be obtained in hours.

In Germany, one must take classes in driving and first aid. One must pass a difficult written exam and a driving test. One must go to a physician for an eye examination. Paperwork for all this has to be submitted to the government as the process proceeds. Am applicant must test on a manual transmission auto and is then licensed for both manual and auto. If the test is done in an auto transmission vehicle, then the driver is restricted to auto transmission only. A license in Germany can cost thousands of dollars.

The end result is that most Germans treat driving much more seriously than the vast majority of Americans do.

The price they pay for not having speed limits on their freeway. I'm all for that (eliminating speed limits that is....).:devilish:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On the flip-side of your point, we have people like me who either drive for a living or drive long distances for whatever reason and become fatigued and sleepy. Many times you cannot just pull over or get a fix from taking a hit of caffeine. It's those times that picking up the mic and finding a conversation over the radio that keeps you awake and alert while driving.

If you're going to try and make a point against talking on the 2-way being distracting, then you might as well outlaw passengers in your vehicle because talking to them, which also encourages you to take your eyes off the road to look their way, is even more distracting.
I'm retired and I travel quite a bit just because I can. Using various references, I program my FT-8900 with repeater information along my intended route. I try to program 2m and .70cm within about 20 miles of the route. One side of the radio stays on 146.52 mHz and the other side has the programmed frequencies.

It's more of an exercise in futility anymore because, 1) there are few accurate sources of repeater information, and 2) there are very few responses to a "check-in." Be that as it may, I still do it in hopes of talking with someone, anyone.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The only solution that makes sense is to eliminate the text messaging technology from society. It's a horrible inefficient form of communication anyway, encourages poor spelling and grammar, and breaks all the traditional rules of typing. If you wish to communicate with someone either call them up or use your 2-way. No more texting tech period!
Do you honestly think that's ever gonna happen? I doubt it. In 20 years, thumbs will have evolved with little bumps on them to more accurately depress the small buttons on the phones.

bill4long

I'm retired and I travel quite a bit just because I can. Using various references, I program my FT-8900 with repeater information along my intended route. I try to program 2m and .70cm within about 20 miles of the route. One side of the radio stays on 146.52 mHz and the other side has the programmed frequencies.

It's more of an exercise in futility anymore because, 1) there are few accurate sources of repeater information, and 2) there are very few responses to a "check-in." Be that as it may, I still do it in hopes of talking with someone, anyone.

Get a ham radio DMR hotspot in your vehicle, and never be alone again (except when you have no cell service.)

DoctorZ

When I'm on the road Storm Chasing or a family Road Trip, I have my Scanner monitoring NOAA Weather Radio, My 2-Meter on 146.52, my list of area SkyWarn Repeaters for all the Counties I'll be going through at my side, my CB on Channel 19, Serious/XM Radio on Yacht Rock, and my GPS programmed for my final destination. My Cell Phone is TURNED OFF, because I don't want to be tracked.

Perhaps I will make contact with you somewhere out there someday....

DoctorZ

Do you honestly think that's ever gonna happen? I doubt it. In 20 years, thumbs will have evolved with little bumps on them to more accurately depress the small buttons on the phones.

Elect me President, and I'll issue an Executive Order to dismantle Text Messaging tech! I will also institute draconian typing rules patterned after my 9th Grade Typing Instructor:

1. You MUST use proper fingering that means you start with your left fingers are on keys: a s d f, your right fingers are on keys: j k l ; , your right thumb on the spacebar.
2. You MUST spell every word CORRECTLY.
3. You MUST use perfect Grammar and sentence structure.

Anything less than the above rules and we're teaching our children to be illiterate!

There ya go--problem solved.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Elect me President, and I'll issue an Executive Order to dismantle Text Messaging tech! I will also institute draconian typing rules patterned after my 9th Grade Typing Instructor:

1. You MUST use proper fingering that means you start with your left fingers are on keys: a s d f, your right fingers are on keys: j k l ; , your right thumb on the spacebar.
2. You MUST spell every word CORRECTLY.
3. You MUST use perfect Grammar and sentence structure.

Anything less than the above rules and we're teaching our children to be illiterate!

There ya go--problem solved.
Good luck with that!

slowmover

And that sleepy time on the road can hit at two in the afternoon. On a day when taking a nap just won’t work.

Feeling revived isn’t just physical.

WB9YBM

I've heard that since CB radios aren't licensed, local PD can confiscate them. Although:
  1. I don't know if this is being enforced, or how uniformly it's enforced;
  2. I'm not sure if a ham (or other) license will provide an exemption.
Maybe there's someone like truck driver who uses them more than us "four-wheelers" do, who might have additional insights. Point being, CBs are still being used so there must be some way to do it without getting into trouble.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've heard that since CB radios aren't licensed, local PD can confiscate them. Although:
  1. I don't know if this is being enforced, or how uniformly it's enforced;
  2. I'm not sure if a ham (or other) license will provide an exemption.
Maybe there's someone like truck driver who uses them more than us "four-wheelers" do, who might have additional insights. Point being, CBs are still being used so there must be some way to do it without getting into trouble.
CBs are licensed...by rule, but they are licensed. Just because you don't get a piece of paper doesn't mean they're not licensed.

WB9YBM

CBs are licensed...by rule, but they are licensed. Just because you don't get a piece of paper doesn't mean they're not licensed.

In the U.S.? If so, I'm surprised--maybe I missed something in the rules & regs. ...

WB9YBM

The use of a amplifier is still not legal by a ham on CB Frequencies but there are Frequencies close to the CB Band that a Ham can use a Amplifier on.
On CB Frequencies if you agree to the FCC rules of CB you have a Licence if I remember when they done away with the 5 year Licence.

yeah, on amplifiers that's basically the point I was trying to make. On the license, when I got mine--near the end, right before they stopped issuing them--was a ten year term. Oh, well--five years, ten years--either way, good memories.

WB9YBM

"Licensed by rule." Which means if you meet the qualifications in Part 95 you are authorized to transmit without any licensing process.

Well, that's the first time I've ever heard the term "licensed by rule"; sounds good to me! (Taking things a step further: I wonder how many people actually pay attention & utilize the method of self-assigning callsigns that the rules specify?)

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well, that's the first time I've ever heard the term "licensed by rule"; sounds good to me! (Taking things a step further: I wonder how many people actually pay attention & utilize the method of self-assigning callsigns that the rules specify?)
I missed that. What part 95 rule specifies that?

Status
Not open for further replies.