• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is Mobile Use of CB Radios Becoming Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill4long

Well, that's the first time I've ever heard the term "licensed by rule"; sounds good to me! (Taking things a step further: I wonder how many people actually pay attention & utilize the method of self-assigning callsigns that the rules specify?)

License-by-rule does not involve a callsign, application for a license, or the issuance of a license document. Everyone in the USA who qualifies under the rules is "licensed." That is, they are authorized to transmit without having to apply for an individual license. This is true for CB, MURS, FRS, and several other radio services.

As far as callsigns go for these services, you can make up your own "callsign" if you want, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the FCC.

Last edited:

WB9YBM

License-by-rule does not involve a callsign, application for a license, or the issuance of a license document. Everyone in the USA who qualifies under the rules is "licensed." That is, they are authorized to transmit without having to apply for an individual license. This is true for CB, MURS, FRS, and several other radio services.

As far as callsigns go for these services, you can make up your own "callsign" if you want, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the FCC.

actually the FCC rules state that American callsigns start with the letter "K" followed by the operators' initials followed by the operators' zip code.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
95.417 (b) (2)
You may be looking at an old copy of the rules. The Citizens Band rules start at 95.901. I don't see a 95.417. In fact, the current rules state that 95.417 has been replaced with 95.351 which appears below:

§95.351 Station identification.
Operators of Personal Radio Services stations are not required to transmit any form of station identification, unless otherwise required for a Personal Radio Service by rules in the subpart governing that specific service.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You may be looking at an old copy of the rules. The Citizens Band rules start at 95.901. I don't see a 95.417. In fact, the current rules state that 95.417 has been replaced with 95.351 which appears below:

Operators of Personal Radio Services stations are not required to transmit any form of station identification, unless otherwise required for a Personal Radio Service by rules in the subpart governing that specific service.

The old rule is illogical....

§ 95.417 (CB Rule 17) Do I identify my
CB communications?
(a) You need not identify your CB
communications.

(b) [You are encouraged to identify
your CB communications by any of the
following means:
(1) Previously assigned CB call sign;
(2) K prefix followed by operator initials
and residence zip code;
(3) Name; or
(4) Organizational description including
name and any applicable operator
unit number.]
(c) [You are encouraged to use your
‘‘handle’’ only in conjuction with the
methods of identification listed in
paragraph (b) of this section.]

So which is it, no identification at all, or use of a Handle with FCC encouraging you to add supplemental identification?

Hey this is Billy Bob, KBBT90210 over.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As far as I know, the FCC has no historic record of CB callsigns so you could use your old one with impunity.

It would be cool if someone would set up an internet archive where folks could submit old callsign's and even scan old licenses for posterity. It would be cool to decipher the method by which they were assigned in the 60-70's. The site could re-issue facsimile copies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The old rule is illogical....

So which is it, no identification at all, or use of a Handle with FCC encouraging you to add supplemental identification?

I would paraphrase that to, "Identification is not MANDATORY, but is encouraged to be this ..."

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would paraphrase that to, "Identification is not MANDATORY, but is encouraged to be this ..."

It is a waste of paper to write such unenforceable laws. Probably some hold outs on staff who did not like the concept of anonymity on airwaves.

The new GMRS has a couple vestiges of old deleted rules that remain and confound the intent of the new rules. The FCC no longer has anyone in staff (old enough) that can recall why those very old rules exist, and so will not make a decision to remove them.

WB9YBM

No, I just pulled it up from the FCC web site. Check "CB", not "Personal Radio Service"

WB9YBM

You'r confusing "personal Radio Service" with "CB". Additionally I just looked it up on the FCC web site a few seconds before replying earlier.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like people are insisting on ignoring them either way, so yeah, definitely a moot point...

If you are referring to 95.417, that's in the old version. You need to read the new version:

If you can tell us what the rule number (95.####) is, we'd love to see it.

K9DWB

QRT
I used to drive tractor trailer for 11 years with a few regional companies. As best as I recall, I had a CB in the truck from day 1. Some warehouses required it for check-in, dock door assignments, direction to pick or drop trailers at spot X, etc. All purchases for running the CB and all other expenses out of pocket pertaining to driving the truck were income tax deductions with the tax preparer I used. Sirius/XM, cell phone and service bills were included.

OK so on the topic of CB being distracting, was it banned while driving in Mass, what CB calls were or weren't supposed to be, and whatever else was thrown into the grinder:

CB or any transceiver use can be distracting, but I'd camp with it's likely not an enforceable offense. I also agree cell phone use, texting and calling both, seem to be more distracting than me grabbing the hanging mic and say "hey flatbed, come on over". But there is still a level of distraction in any action that is not directly related to driving control. Steering and pedal input, moving the shifter, monitoring all the mirrors, scanning ahead for traffic and trouble, gauge monitoring, and being fully aware of 360 degrees of my surroundings took almost all the attention I had. But as I became accustomed to monitoring all that, I was able to add in more CB use while doing all those other things and listening to XM. I was taught that as a professional truck driver, all things not pertaining to control and safe operation of the truck, trailer, and protection of the freight, myself, and all others around me, were secondary actions and were put on hold if the primary actions were being hindered.

10-4 Signed, Blacksheep :coffee:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You'r confusing "personal Radio Service" with "CB". Additionally I just looked it up on the FCC web site a few seconds before replying earlier.
No, I'm not. CB is covered under Personal Radio Services in the FCC rules. You are looking at old rules. Please provide a link to what you are looking at.

If you are referring to 95.417, that's in the old version. You need to read the new version:

If you can tell us what the rule number (95.####) is, we'd love to see it.
He has said that it's §95.417. He does not believe us when we say that §95.417 has been superseded.

Federal communications rules are contained in Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The newest hard copy edition of Title 47 is dated October 1, 2019. You can get to the Citizens Band Radio Service by following this hierarchy:

Title 47 Telecommunications
-Chapter 1 Federal Communications Commission
--Subchapter D Safety and Special Radio Services
---Part 95 Personal Radio Services
----Subpart D CB Radio Service

As you can plainly see in Subpart D, there is no §95.417.

Status
Not open for further replies.