Is there any value in upgrading to DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice in Calgary?

canadianb

Premium Subscriber
Newbie here.... sort off... had scanners all my life and enjoyed the hobby of listening in since I purchased my first Pro-34 back in the good old days...but times have changed....

Here is my question....

Is there any value in upgrading to DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice in Calgary? I purchased a SDS100 Scanner and am trying to weigh the value of upgrading or not. If I upgrade, should I upgrade all 3 or just DMR and NXDN? What extra features or frequencies can I expect to listen to?

If I do upgrade, is the Uniden site the cheapest to get the keys?

I do travel to the USA a few times every year, primarily to Southern and SW Florida to do wildlife photography. Will upgrading make sense just for those trips?

Looking forward to any advice you experienced people can provide.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Have a look at the various trunked systems and see if they are of interest to you.

If you click on Type in the menu, it will re-sort them (DMR, NXDN etc...) making it easier to see.

For Calgary:

For Alberta:

If they are, I would only purchase DMR and NXDN. ProVoice is "end of life" and being phased out. I'm not sure about where you travel, but it is unlikely used there as well.

Definitely purchase from Uniden directly. Other retailers mark up the upgrade keys.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Newbie here.... sort off... had scanners all my life and enjoyed the hobby of listening in since I purchased my first Pro-34 back in the good old days...but times have changed....

Here is my question....

Is there any value in upgrading to DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice in Calgary? I purchased a SDS100 Scanner and am trying to weigh the value of upgrading or not. If I upgrade, should I upgrade all 3 or just DMR and NXDN? What extra features or frequencies can I expect to listen to?

If I do upgrade, is the Uniden site the cheapest to get the keys?

I do travel to the USA a few times every year, primarily to Southern and SW Florida to do wildlife photography. Will upgrading make sense just for those trips?

Looking forward to any advice you experienced people can provide.
DMR and NXDN, YES.

Provoice, NO.

There are no operational EDACS providers systems in Alberta. Both the Lethbridge and Edmonton Public Safety EDACS systems are gone, with those agencies having moved to AFRRCS.

No idea about EDACS and Provoice usage in Florida, the Statewide system employs Provice, but no idea on encryption or longevity of that system.

canadianb

Premium Subscriber
Have a look at the various trunked systems and see if they are of interest to you.

If you click on Type in the menu, it will re-sort them (DMR, NXDN etc...) making it easier to see.

For Calgary:

For Alberta:

If they are, I would only purchase DMR and NXDN. ProVoice is "end of life" and being phased out. I'm not sure about where you travel, but it is unlikely used there as well.

Definitely purchase from Uniden directly. Other retailers mark up the upgrade keys.
That really simplified it for me...much appreciated!!!!

DMR and NXDN, YES.

Provoice, NO.

There are no operational EDACS providers systems in Alberta. Both the Lethbridge and Edmonton Public Safety EDACS systems are gone, with those agencies having moved to AFRRCS.

No idea about EDACS and Provoice usage in Florida, the Statewide system employs Provice, but no idea on encryption or longevity of that system.
This does makes sense... much appreciated!