It seems that the AIR-ONE helos primarily communicate with their dispatcher (Winthrop Harbor PD) and with each other using the StarCom 21 "ILEAS" talkgroup (30329), though I have seen past reports of at least the Kenosha-based helo also having the ability to use Winthrop Harbor PD's 155.610(123.0) alternate repeater. I have not personally heard these helos working ground units on a call-out, but I believe they have access to common freqs like ISPERN (155.475), IREACH (155.055) and other common interoperability channels Statewide / Common / Shared Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
to accomplish this. They may also have access to other freqs per agreements with local law enforcement agencies.
AFAIK there are four helos currently in the AIR-ONE system:
- N79PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 79"), based in Kenosha
- N92PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 92"), based in Rockford
- N62PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 62"), based in Freeport(?)
- N67PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 67"), based in Rockford(?)
More information about this organization and the helos can be found at:
- Law Enforcement Aviation Coalition
You might also want to keep an ear open for traffic on StarCom21 talkgroup 13015 ("Air Ops") - it is used by Illinois State Police Air Operations personnel.