• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

issues with programming ht 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonk1

I tried to program my ht 1000 with a serial port cable with an FTDI USB adapter attached to it on my Mac running Windows 10 via a virtual machine with Dosbox (I have programmed my 750's and 1250's on this VM with CPS, and it works perfectly). When I try to read the radio, I keep getting the error message, "rib port communication unsuccessful." I tried on five ht 1000's and also attempted this on my old Windows XP computer. I plugged the programming cable into the serial port, and I get the same error message. I also tried with the FTDI adapter, and I get the same message. Does anybody have any idea why this is not working?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've never had any luck with any modern computer or ever using a dos box. You'll need an old computer running real dos (dos booted from usb is fine) and likely a serial cable. Doubt you'll find a usb to serial adapter that will play with dos. Even my old cf19 mk3 doesn't play well in true dos with a serial cable. My cf18 works great. Those old things can be a headache. If you don't mind paying shipping I gladly program them for you.

Jasonk1

I've never had any luck with any modern computer or ever using a dos box. You'll need an old computer running real dos (dos booted from usb is fine) and likely a serial cable. Doubt you'll find a usb to serial adapter that will play with dos. Even my old cf19 mk3 doesn't play well in true dos with a serial cable. My cf18 works great. Those old things can be a headache. If you don't mind paying shipping I gladly program them for you.
Thank you! Booting Dos from USB works!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Find an old Windows machine running no more than Windoze XP.
Download "Rufus", it's a dos emulator.
I have that on a USB thumb drive and set up the old laptop to try booting off USB as first choice. If I need to use the older HT1000 software, I just plug in the Rufus stick and boot up into that. You'll need a serial connection off the PC, never had any luck with DOS and USB.

Jasonk1

Find an old Windows machine running no more than Windoze XP.
Download "Rufus", it's a dos emulator.
I have that on a USB thumb drive and set up the old laptop to try booting off USB as first choice. If I need to use the older HT1000 software, I just plug in the Rufus stick and boot up into that. You'll need a serial connection off the PC, never had any luck with DOS and USB.
Thank you, this works.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it going. If you have any other issues, just ask. I've programmed a pile of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.