Its past time for a firmware update for the BC796D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfw1417

I am asking Uniden to Step up to the Plate and provide consistancy between the current scanner models. I feel my $520 investment in the 796D is justification to be kept current with the bandplan changes which have taken place since the marketing of the 796D.

The default Bandplan in the latest BC396T model reflects the latest FCC Bandplan changes, however for some reason Uniden is failing to address the issue in the 796D when they update the firmware revisions for the BC796D. The latest firmware update in August 2005 for the BC796D was 3.28.

The August 2005 firmware update 3.28 for the BC796D does nothing to update the default Bandplan for this unit. The differences in the Bandplans between the 796 and 396 are listed below.

Frequency 796 396

28 - 29.68 FM 10Khz NFM 20Khz
29.7 - 49.99 FM 10Khz NFM 10Khz
50 - 53.99 FM 10Khz NFM 20Khz
137-143.9875 FM 5Khz NFM 12.5Khz
144-147.995 FM 5Khz NFM 5Khz
148-150.7875 FM 5Khz NFM 12.5Khz
150.8 - 161.995 FM 5Khz NFM 5Khz
216 - 224.98 FM 5Khz FM 20Khz

It is wonderful that the later models can be flash updated to provide revisions, however it really does'nt matter about this feature if Uniden won't provide updates to keep previous units supported with current Bandplan changes that they are providing for their latest models.

This example above and the fact that now on 9/30 another (I think the 4th or 5th new model in last 7 months or so) model will be hitting the market makes me really happy I waited and did not purchase a 396T regardless of how good it is! Maybe you can afford $1500 a year for 3 radios, however I must be more selective and only purchase those units which fit my needs from a company I can be assured of that will continue to update my units on a regular basis in addition to marketing newer technology and products.

I really don't think it is too much to ask to provide BandPlan consistancy between all currently and past marketed products with the technology required, especially when some of the older and newer models have been purposely manufactured to provide that ability. If I could rewrite and flash my own units default bandplan then this would not even be an issue however I am sure Uniden would not release the information to support that for customers.

Note: To those who say you can change the bandplan to your suiting on the 796, I totally agree, yes I can, but I should not have to, when it is easy for Uniden to provide an updated firmware and it sure would have been so EASY for them to have included it in the August firmware update 3.28 but apparently this was an OVERSIGHT on their part.

Heres looking forward to the new model release information in 2 days. Looking for a new bread box for my shelf with more abilities and features than the 396T !! :)

duckbird

End users will be able to reflash the indicated models using a PC cable and a software download from Uniden’s web site. All future Uniden trunktracking models are expected to either incorporate the Rebanding requirements or be flash upgradeable to do so.

BCD396T
BC246T
BC296D
BC796D
BC898T
BCT8

The first public safety systems could be rebanded as early as April 2006. Uniden’s goal is to have a firmware update available for each compatible model by this time, but final testing and release of the update will depend on the actual implementation of these changes. Uniden plans to announce firmware updates for each model as they become available.

This statement is based on the current rebanding plan, as accepted by FCC and industry. Future changes to this plan could affect Uniden’s response or its ability to respond. Nothing in this statement should be construed as any type of promise or warranty. Uniden reserves the right to make changes to its rebanding response policy at any time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.