Just Ordered A SDS200 : What Are My Odds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Is there not somebody around you that could assist you in doing the front display board mod to fix that?
Not that I am aware of. I'd rather not send it anywhere and given the fact that I am in the midst of trying to get my state's PD to come in better from home (and that I had no power for a week and still no internet) I haven't been really focusing on that lately anyway.

@kudzu_kid definitely just have them ship it and program it yourself.

N4DJC

It's hit or miss with the hum, but not difficult to fix if a person has some experience handling PC boards. The screws are JIS and a bit set for that standard helps.

Either way I like my SDS200 and don't regret buying it one bit. Program it yourself, a great learning experience that is worth the effort.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
SDS200 from ScannerMaster in April, no issues. I had my Sentinel Favorites list done from my already sold SDS100. You can download Sentinel and create your favorites list, so it was all ready to be loaded once it arrives.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Howdy All,

Just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone I didn't already personally reply to. @JimD56 , @N4DJC , @darkness975 and possibly others I've overlooked. I appreciate the answers.

The consensus is I should go ahead and get the scanner and not wait the additional time for them to program. Reportedly, programming the scanner can be fairly straight forward and quick. Customizing it may be more tedious.

So earlier this afternoon, I called ScannerMaster and requested that they not program it and just go ahead and ship it. I asked they apply the pre-paid programming $ to expedited shipping. They graciously complied with my requests. No threats, no cajoling necessary, just friendly service. I should have the unit sometime Friday. I've already got the tracking #.

So far, my dealings with ScannerMaster has been very painless and pleasant. They'll be my "go to" place going forward unless they don't have what I need.

I'm excited.

Stay tuned!

N4DJC

Howdy All,

Just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone I didn't already personally reply to. @JimD56 , @N4DJC , @darkness975 and possibly others I've overlooked. I appreciate the answers.

The consensus is I should go ahead and get the scanner and not wait the additional time for them to program. Reportedly, programming the scanner can be fairly straight forward and quick. Customizing it may be more tedious.

So earlier this afternoon, I called ScannerMaster and requested that they not program it and just go ahead and ship it. I asked they apply the pre-paid programming $ to expedited shipping. They graciously complied with my requests. No threats, no cajoling necessary, just friendly service. I should have the unit sometime Friday. I've already got the tracking #.

So far, my dealings with ScannerMaster has been very painless and pleasant. They'll be my "go to" place going forward unless they don't have what I need.

I'm excited.

Stay tuned!

You’ll enjoy it, the Scannermaster guys are great to deal with. Rich is a active member of the forum.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Howdy All,

I'm excited.

Stay tuned!
Me as well. Always had great experience with them. Highly recommend.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Just recently received my SDS200 (from HRO). While I was waiting for it to be delivered, I downloaded Sentinel and created my favorites list, so it was all ready to be loaded once it arrived. Very easy program to learn (and a lot easier to use than, say, WIN500). Youtube videos also assist in learning Sentinel.

My second SDS200 will arrive today sometime, I hope it's as good as the one I bought in May of last year. As far as Sentinel is compared to Win500, I would be willing to pay a fair chunk of change for a version of WIN500 (WINSDS?) to work on the SDS200, it's much much easier than Sentinel is, and it has a couple of basic programming things that Sentinel does differently, and not logically, IMHO. The GRE/Whistler software for the later scanners, "EZ-Scan", is anything but easy, IMHO. I really hated it more than Sentinel.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
My 200 showed up yesterday from Scanner Master...
Already had an sd card set up (Done in a card reader) and ready to go...
Swapped the sd card out, powered up and set the time and date...
Bing botta boom... Up and running with no hum...
Works perfect...

And yes the firmware needed updating...

Last edited:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Mine came Thursday from BCWarehouse and it had the current firmware, etc, and had my zip code put in already. I fired it up and off it went, scanning way too many things, but working fine and it's totally silent until it starts talking. I ended up setting the digital delay from the default 400ms to 200ms, and so far, I have had no digital grind, and analog comms seem to be delay free, or close to it. Only thing I've noticed that's different from the first one, other than it makes no noise at all while scanning is the number keypad is brighter than on my older one, and the display seems slightly dimmer, but that could just because I can't see the old one here at work.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Not sure where the best place to post this is. If a mod / admin reads this, if this should be moved, please do - but I didn't want to duplicate it, and wasn't sure if this was new thread worthy.

So last eveningI received the SDS200! Yaaayyyy! Seemed intact, everything worked as expected, more or less. Display is a little dim for my likes even at highest setting, but I can live with it. My very first impression was "Man! this box is heavier than I expected!", lol

To my point(s) today:
I tried to register the scanner at my.uniden.com. FAIL. My goal was to download the upgrades (DMR, NXDN, ProVoice). No matter what I type for a user name and/or email address (using different email addresses, or different user names) I get a

"This email address is already in the database. IF you have forgotten your password, please go to: Forgot Password?
OR, if you need to create a new user account, please go back and enter a different email address."
As far as I know, I've never registered on that site. Also, if I try to go the "Forgot password" route, I get a 500 Server error. Not a browser issue or PC. I tried it on 3 different devices (PC, Tablet & Phone), 5 different browsers (Chrome, Edge, IE, Firefox - and Chrome {Android}). Even tried incognito (which would bypass any "cookie", cache, etc; issue). I've not received anything from the site saying it successfully registered or anything, so the session is ending with the error message. That site seems hosed to me. Perhaps I am going to an old / abandoned site and there's a newer one I'm not aware of. Can someone please edify me? How am I supposed to register & get the upgrades these days?

Thanks for any & all help!

Best Regards,
--Pete

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
kudzu_kid
The display brightness is set to a default value for the selectable "Low Med High" settings...
Don't remember what the factory % values were...
I changed mine... Easy enough to change in sentenal under "Edit Profile", "Display Options" tab...

ki7be

Thanks & glad to be here! I agree.

My initial thinking on having them do the programming was that way I'd have a baseline file I could archive before I "screw everything up", but I'm now thinking it's not worth the wait and $ for something I probably can do myself (albeit after a trial by fire, perhaps!). Have them apply that $ to overnight shipping or something.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome!

Half the fun in the hobby is learning the radio and programming it.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
kudzu_kid
The display brightness is set to a default value for the selectable "Low Med High" settings...
Don't remember what the factory % values were...
I changed mine... Easy enough to change in sentenal under "Edit Profile", "Display Options" tab...

Also... Pressing the volume control knob momentarily will cycle thru the brightness modes...
The three that you set in display options... Either the factory defaults, or what you set them to...

himages

it took time for me to order my sds100.....about to plunge into zs, then bs...but had bank issues with their site, and ended up with sm since they been doing sales a very long time and finally had it in stock. I also had the opportunity to buy "preprogrammed stuff" or simply LEARN and DIY.....I choose to DIY and still learning but its ok.

chrisdenker

As far as I know, I've never registered on that site. Also, if I try to go the "Forgot password" route, I get a 500 Server error. Not a browser issue or PC. I tried it on 3 different devices (PC, Tablet & Phone), 5 different browsers (Chrome, Edge, IE, Firefox - and Chrome {Android}). Even tried

I got a 500 error on the site last week when I bought one of the upgrades, but after refreshing the main screen, the order did go through successfully and I was able to get the code.
If you have a gmail account, I would try using a variation of your email address, if you put a period in the name you will still get the email.
my.address@gmail.com

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Great news!

I tried my.uniden.com today and it worked! Didn't need to do anything special on my end at all. As previously mentioned, Uniden was on the issue and has apparently resolved it - at least for me. I was able to successfully buy and get the 2 keys I wanted. Yayyyyy!

I will say, I surely believe there's got to be a better way to enter those long hex codes. Good grief that was tedious! Very 1960's-70's-esque. Not what I would expect via a high $ scanner. Maybe allow entry via Sentinel or something?

Anyhow, I'm done! Yayyyyyyyyy. If you've been having problems on the site, try again. It was working for me this morning.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, tea & sympathy. And thanks Uniden for fixing your stuff! :ROFLMAO:

--Pete

Kaleier1

Great news!

I tried my.uniden.com today and it worked! Didn't need to do anything special on my end at all. As previously mentioned, Uniden was on the issue and has apparently resolved it - at least for me. I was able to successfully buy and get the 2 keys I wanted. Yayyyyy!

I will say, I surely believe there's got to be a better way to enter those long hex codes. Good grief that was tedious! Very 1960's-70's-esque. Not what I would expect via a high $ scanner. Maybe allow entry via Sentinel or something?

Anyhow, I'm done! Yayyyyyyyyy. If you've been having problems on the site, try again. It was working for me this morning.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, tea & sympathy. And thanks Uniden for fixing your stuff! :ROFLMAO:

--Pete
Hey at least you saved $15 to $30 per key doing it yourself instead of having a retailer of the scanner do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.