Lancaster Sheriffs Changed Freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrosart

I listen to the north los angeles county sheriffs dept, lancaster, palmdale, santa clarita and i havent heard anything lately from lancaster or palmadale. i called the sheriffs dept in palmdale to ask if they changed freq. and they hung up on me.! so i called lancaster and got told they couldnt give out that info, but i told them its covered in the freedom of information act and they transfered me to a "supervisor", who suprisingly didnt answer and rang atleast 50 times. i called back and got the same response. our dueche bag mayor just bought a 6 million dollar cesna to fly over the area for 10 hours everyday and i dont know if they switched up the freq. on me. it pisses me off that i cant hear the sheriffs when they talk only the dispatch, and now i cant hear anything. anyone know whats going on?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
To be fair, most officers have little knowledge about the radios they use. They know how to push buttons to make them do what they want, but that's about the limit. Expecting them to know what frequencies they are using is asking a little much. Most likely couldn't tell you if they were on VHF, UHF or tin cans and string. The programming of the radios is usually performed by a specific shop, often run by the sheriff, county or other local agency. If they are doing it right, the officers usually don't know there radio has been touched.

The old "transfer to a supervisor" usually results in getting sent to a number they know won't be answered, or to their buddy next to them that will just feed you a line to get you off the phone.

You will likely get more accurate results asking here.

SCPD

QRT
The Freedom of Information Act only applies to federal agencies, not state and local agencies. I don't think that the LASO is obligated to tell you what frequencies they use. It is a matter of public record as they have to hold a FCC license, which can be looked up online.

Your approach to finding out the frequencies was clumsy, incorrect and gives scanner hobbyists a bad name. An agency should never be contacted to frequency information. As this is your first post, you obviously didn't know any of this. When you don't know something, it is best not to use such aggressive tactics.

The members of RR are very knowledgeable and can answer your questions very well. They know how to research FCC records and keep up with changes. I hope you will utilize this site to help you.

capturecom

Premium Subscriber
Take heed of the sage advice, and as the bruises and swelling subside, go back and give a listen to the usual LACo SO channels. D-15 on 483.0375 and L-TAC 11 on 483.1875 are alive and well, as heard here in Wrightwood on an internal antenna.

The Freedom of Information Act only applies to federal agencies, not state and local agencies. I don't think that the LASO is obligated to tell you what frequencies they use. It is a matter of public record as they have to hold a FCC license, which can be looked up online.
Fair enough. Here in Calfironia, it's called the CPRA.... aka California Public Records Act.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 1990s, via a FOIA request, I got all of the freqs used by Grand Canyon National Park - and a list of all of their fire trucks and ambulances.

AFAIK, there are no exemptions from public information laws (state and federal) for radio frequencies. Agencies might claim "Homeland Security concerns", but if you let them know that 99% of the radio info is publicly available on the FCC website, they will probably cough up the info.

Some people also think that fire station locations should be secret. Some people laugh at that.

There seems to be widespread paranoia amongst all public safety agencies regarding the release of radio information. Maybe it is because they are afraid of being jammed. Maybe it is because they know nothing about radios, and really dont anyone to listen anyhow. How many police agencies in the USA have official scanner feeds? Less than a dozen? (out of maybe 30,000 agencies).

"Ex-Smokey" - I am really surprised at your comments.

SCPD

QRT
Post 2001, radio frequencies are exempt from the Freedom of Information Act. Federal agencies are not regulated by the FCC so the information is not available to the public. I've seen the policy manuals of a couple of federal agencies where they explain how to respond to FOIA requests for frequency information. They can and do deny requests for the information. The legal basis for doing so is briefly outlined in these manuals.

This is nothing new. Reagan classified all federal radio assignments during his administration. I used to have a book published prior to this that showed frequency assignments and FCC type callsign. It showed specific locations by agency, such as the numerous ones assigned to base stations within National Parks. I just recycled the book this year as there have been enough changes, especially since 2005, to make the information useless.

State agencies differ in that their frequencies are available by examining their FCC licenses. The feds and the state are completely different animals. If you make an FOIA request now and successfully receive information I will stand corrected. I'm not the only person to understand the situation this way so my comments should not surprise you.

As for the OP's method of approaching the L.A.S.O., I still stand by my post in response to it. Taking a know-it-all type of confrontational approach will not produce results. It is not the smart thing to do. It gives the rest of us in the hobby a less than desired standing with public safety agencies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.