LMRN General Discussion

TD

Premium Subscriber
What type of scanner do you use do you listen to OPP? How do you program your scanner?
Thanks

Muxlow

Super Secret
Word is next month they will start using the system. Not sure if the systems will be patched together somehow or what the deal is.
Windsor Essex and Chatham-Kent FleetNet towers go offline and LMRN on fully for testing. Those groups on LMRN patched back to FleetNet.

But word is next month system goes "live"

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What type of scanner do you use do you listen to OPP? How do you program your scanner?
Thanks

Many scanners can currently listen to OPP. Programming them is beyond the scope of this particular thread. Once the new system comes online the days of listening to the OPP will be over I'm afraid.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Word is next month they will start using the system. Not sure if the systems will be patched together somehow or what the deal is.
Windsor Essex and Chatham-Kent FleetNet towers go offline and PSRN on fully for testing. Those groups on PSRN patched back to FleetNet.

But word is next month system goes "live"

Hopefully We will still have something to listen to!

Rcarde40

Afternoon guys
With a DMR can I scan OPP digital providing the unit is a VHF model?
Also, any one know what would be good for a 800 MHz digital?

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
So is there any traffic unique to this new system? I'm just wondering if its worth putting it in my SDS100 because if it just a simulcast of what I already hear on the Windsor site here and will switch to enc anyway, then why bother?

It has been so long since I added anything to may favorites I forgot how to do it and had to wipe scanner to fix the card and go back to older list last time I messed with it. What is the bandplan? I'll just try it in the 396 that would be easier for me.

Reactions: TD

gary123

I would 100% be monitoring the system. You never know what you may catch. There may be a reference made to a site or progress on a specific phase of the change over. A new TG may pop up. Anything

For those with CC logging capabilities grabbing items like the bandplan and neighbors will be important. A new neighbor will let everyone know that a site has been added to the network and that the CC and associated frequencies will need to be logged.

I would also expect as the current FleetNet site in Essex becomes less active, that some of the frequencies will be reassigned for use in other nearby sites.
We also need to remember that its not only OPP and EMS on the system. Other low usage users will have to be reprogrammed too such as the MTO, Jails, Ministry of Rev etc.

All this will take time, but as the change over occurs it will help identify some of those weirder TG groups we have seen. So log, log, log. If you can log the actual comm's especially on the last thing I mentioned it may shed some light on what's what.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I pick up Skylon and Fonthill sites, Should I go into my favorites list and just delete the Primary control frequency for these two sites and leave all the other frequencies in these sites as they are, and see what I pick up?
Steve

ATCTech

I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet. If you see a particular frequency for the site(s) you have in range drop out of the regular traffic rotation then check it manually for P25 CC activity. The frequencies in the TAFL data for "Trafalgar" are all part of FleetNet site 9 (Britannia) so my educated guess says as the new P25 site comes online those frequencies will start to migrate maybe one or two at a time during testing to minimize any lack of capacity on FleetNet in the coverage area prior to the transition.

gary123

I concur. Many systems have done migrations in the past and the process is not anything really new. You just have to pay attention to your local sites. All indications are that the changeover will be from the southern tip towards the rest of the province. Its not an overnight thing as radios need to be changed and code plugs loaded and checked.

For us what we are more concerned about it the migration process. We already know a couple of major things. Specifically the site number/location and the general TG names and uses. Even with 100% encryption know what TG is active and how active can be informative in itself.

gary123

That may go the way of the dodo. With social media all over its just as easy to post a tweet or update a Facebook page. Time will tell. I would like to see something like Toronto is doing with a time delayed posting or even better a delayed stream 15-30 min.

ATCTech

I agree gary123, with a tweet or a text broadcast the reader can scroll back and retrieve it, a voice broadcast you either hear it or you don't unless you record audio endlessly.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Has there been any indication, so far, if the simplex/extender/tactical/beat/media channels will be changed as well?