LMRN General Discussion

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it is related or not , but I'm hearing testing transmissions on the Windsor City P25 system tg id 112 7:45pm

gary123

It might be significant. It might be an interop or patch channel. Can you match its use to any activity on LMRN?

Muxlow

Super Secret
I think 112 for the Windsor system is an airport talkgroup, no?
Or you mean LMRN? 112 on FleetNet is a BMR talkgroup so that would be one of the testing groups, as I've seen groups 80 and 96 active last week for testing.

ATCTech

Just poking around the TAFL and for what it's worth the Trafalgar North TIS (Trunk Inspection Station) licenses were still NG (Not Granted) status as of December 1st. Probably a while before there's any on-air activity in these parts.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Yup , I did wind up getting getting the SDS 100 in Windsor here, knowing EMS & OPP would go encrypted, because I figured Detroit PD & Windsor Essex DMR would still provide something interesting. Although, I find DMR here pretty quiet , so ya its going to kind of suck for Windsor Essex.

Thatsclear

So when do we think the analogue FleetNet will be deactivated? I haven't heard any voice traffic on the Windsor PSRN site yet. I'm wondering if the old FleetNet and the new FleetNet will be patched together while they get everything moved over but as of now OPP and EMS are active on the old FleetNet.

gary123

Expect patches. everything else is up in the air. After the holidays everything should kick into high gear. Logging everything is going to be the best way to see whats happening. You can also expect that these forums will be monitored to see what is discovered and how fast. The information will probably be used to determine things like OTAR usage etc, nothing nefarious.

casehuff613

I've started the wiki page by categorizing it in Ontario Trunking systems. I added the two known talkgroups.

All users are allowed and encouraged to add to or edit the wiki page. If you go to that page you can click on edit and see the underlying formatting and follow the same way.

System has been renamed to it's official title: Public Safety Radio Network (PSRN) Zone 1 Trunking System, Multiple Locations, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies
Does anyone know why this new system is keeping the original VHF band plan? I would of thought that they would of went to a new 700/800 MHz system. If someone could please explain this to me, it would be appreciated.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Does anyone know why this new system is keeping the original VHF band plan? I would of thought that they would of went to a new 700/800 MHZ system. If someone could please explain this to me, it would be appreciated.

Why would you think they would move to a 700/800MHz system? They'd need a lot more towers and the current VHF system seems to work quite well.

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
Why would you think they would move to a 700/800MHz system? They'd need a lot more towers and the current VHF system seems to work quite well.

Plus, I might be wrong and I'm not an expert, but don’t higher frequencies have less range? Like VHF has better range than UHF. If I have it wrong feel free to correct me.

Thatsclear

Plus, I might be wrong and I'm not an expert, but don’t higher frequencies have less range? Like VHF has better range than UHF. If I have it wrong feel free to correct me.
Thats generally been my experience, too. Does anyone know the time frame for agencies to start moving to the new system? I monitor it everyday and never hear anything on it I'm monitoring the Windsor site. EMS and OPP are still using analogue FleetNet. I guess I will be selling my SDS100. :( Nothing to listen to, anymore.

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
One thought I had was possibly the Vehicle Repeaters might still be monitorable. I mean, that would only really be any good if you are actually near the vehicle, but it is a possibility. And of course for compatibility they will probably keep their interoperability channels and a few analog channels. They might not get used much.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
One thought I had was possibly the Vehicle Repeaters might still be monitorable. I mean that would only really be any good if you are actually near the vehicle, but it is a possibility.

The Vehicular Repeaters will be encrypted as well. No sense encrypting the system if the vehicular repeaters aren't encrypted.

Muxlow

Super Secret
As of now apparently nobody has any new radios in their vehicles yet so thats a plus. Vehicle repeaters will be encrypted and the UHF Tait portables are getting swapped out for 700 MHz APX portables

gary123

I am not involved in the LMRN system, so like you I am carefully watching the migration progress.

To answer the VHF question: Its a lot cheaper to just reprogram and update the repeaters. The duplexer, TX combiners RX amps etc. all can be re-used and where needed re-tuned. The same applies to the antennas cables and other infrastructure at the sites. I do hope that as they are updating the sites they do a proper site Preventive Maintenance and not assume that everything is OK. Many of the current coverage issues are not mobile related. EMS is a good way of actually hearing some coverage issues. But I digress.

As a general rule, VHF does travel further than UHF, which travels further than 7/800. The other side of the coverage coin is the fact that when in the coverage area the 7/800 has less 'dead' spots and areas of weak signal. UHF is a bit worse and VHF is a bit worse than UHF. As a rule of thumb this generally is about 10% per band. I'm not going to go into the propagation theory of signal density, radiation patterns, penetration, reflection, wave length, etc.

Each system/freq has so many factors that apply. I am sure the engineers doing the setup and configuration did their foot work. Either way, VHF is what's being used and I suspect we here at RR will find and identify any issues long before they do :).

Mike is 100% on those using encryption. Those users will be 100% encrypted that includes DVRS.

As Muxlow has informed us, once the mobile hardware is changed out the transition will occur faster. We will have to log everything we can. For now I highly suggest everyone check their local towers for any new signals on known frequencies and look for new signals. There is nothing stopping the techs from moving on to the 'next site' and configuring the new CC etc. I am doing a 141-144 sweep every day looking for anything that pops up.