Looking to upgrade to a new sw radio, would like some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinglou0

The Yaesu FT-891 is a steal at $600 if you can find one.

Good luck with that. Before the component shortages, they were flying off the shelf. Pretty decent receiver, 100W, and in a package that makes it fairly easy to lug out into the field.

When they finally come back to wide spread availability, Yaesu isn’t going to be leaving cash on the table at $600.

majoco

Stirrer
whatever equipment they are paying for now will still be working, and/or supportable 15-20 years from now

Most of my equipment is older than that - if it goes wrong I fix it - but I try to buy quality.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have a setup with a really CHEAP laptop (An old Win 7 Dell that was $80 in almost new condition), one of those little 13" ones and a couple of the cheaper SDR's (SDRPlay and a Cross Country SDR4+) and it works pretty well. With the stock laptop battery, it runs about 4 hours before it starts warning me it's about done. If I use the car power jack (Totally fine if the car is off), no time limit applies. The laptop's speakers are well, not great, so I use a BT adaptor to listen through my car's speakers. You have to watch the volume closely though, it can get loud sometimes when you don't expect it.

The only real problem I was having was with the SDRplay and RFI. A metal Ebay case got rid of about 90% of it and most of the rest was taken care of with ferrite chokes on the USB cable. Any noises left, I can ignore. I've had shockingly decent results parked at a railfan park and a piece of coax going from the SDR to a fence and just wrapping the insulated center wire around the fence poles a couple of times. Any direct connection just totally overloads, and the nearby FM station suddenly reproduces itself along with several Aircraft and Wx transmitters. I usually just run an FM trap anyway, but it's not enough to keep things under control with an actual connection to the fence.

Right now, the SDR4+ is having a problem with a bad solder joint. I need to open it up and see what's going on. Smacking it is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.