Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) - Master Thread

Engine104

Member since 2005
According to documents completion is set for mid 2019 with switch over shortly after that.

There are a handful of users on the system already to my understanding including sheriff and fire. Also various agencies/police department using it.

Sheriff stations are currently getting outfitted with apx8000 radios with the new system in the radio.

Most of the activity is encrypted but there's a few talk groups in the clear that I've heard

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, Shawn.

Will they turn off the existing UHF freqs at that time as well or keep them going for a while? I'd suspect the latter.

Both LASD and FD will be encrypted? Maybe just TACs for SD?

shawn1899

Thanks, Shawn.

Will they turn off the existing UHF freqs at that time as well or keep them going for a while? I'd suspect the latter.

Both LASD and FD will be encrypted? Maybe just TACs for SD?
I believe they will be used as a back up system/analog access system etc.
I believe the entire side of sheriff will be encrypted but as you suggested the dispatch channels may be left in the clear. Time will tell

Engine104

Member since 2005
I believe they will be used as a backup system/analog access system etc.
I believe the entire side of sheriff will be encrypted but as you suggested the dispatch channels may be left in the clear. Time will tell

I'll keep my fingers crossed it isn't all encrypted and hope they keep the old system going for a while and not just pull the plug.

Thanks again. Good info.

allend

Premium Subscriber

I would not hold your breath at this point. Look at what Las Vegas Metro PD did.

End to End. Everything. After the mass shooting incident they swiftly locked everything down.

SparkyTheWonderPom

Banned
LA-RICS

I'll keep my fingers crossed it isn't all encrypted and hope they keep the old system going for a while and not just pull the plug.

That’s exactly what happened when was living in Huntington Beach (1994-2004). I would be listening to Huntington Beach PD all the time. One day, everything was good. Hearing everything. Listen to them looking for a naked burglar in the neighborhood… and the next day, they flipped the switch and… nothing. Tumbleweeds rolling across the dusty streets… as you know, all of Orange County law enforcement went encrypted. Only thing we can listen to nowadays is CHP and whatever goes out on the “Red” channel.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
LA-RICS (E)

I would not hold your breath at this point. Look at what Las Vegas Metro PD did.

End to End. Everything. After the mass shooting incident they swiftly locked everything down.

I got the email notification for the forum update this morning and the quote from Harry Potter came to me immediately:
"Now fear makes people do terrible things, Harry. The last time Voldemort gained power he almost destroyed everything we hold most dear." - Remus Lupin
It's a sad fact, but those in the modern world who wish harm on countries like the USA are getting what they set out to do. Are WMD's going off in the streets? No, but are they instilling fear, including in peace-keepers? Yes. Even if the enemies are from the homeland, they are still effecting the population as a whole in more ways than loss of life. It's an unfortunate world.

I have a contact within the public service who knows my affinity for radios & shares info with me from time to time. He said he had some new info for me that he got at a meeting. I haven't been able to meet because of my schedule, but I have a bad feeling it may be "E" news about LA-RICS.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Look at it this way.

Orange County has been gone for years now.
Riverside County has been gone. End to End Lockdown
SBDCO Sheriffs and EMS gone. End to End Lockdown.

These agencies are not even considering a balance approach. There is no way on GOD's earth at this point that LA-RICS is even going to give it a thought. All of SOCAL agencies are on board with this security lock down.

I can pretty much bet the farm that Sheriffs will be gone within a year or two at max. Then the cancer will spread to other agencies moving forward.

Oh I also forgot to add Long Beach to the list too. They are slated to be gone too. Whittier is joining ICIS and will be gone too. Once all of SOCAL is locked down then the dust will settle. This most likely will all be completed in 5 years give or take.

dgower

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you allend, but I remember an earlier post somewhere that said that LARICS will not require encryption, that decision will be up to the individual agencies. I'm sure many of them will opt to encrypt but I don't think it will be an LARICS requirement.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I'm guessing LASD will opt to go encrypted once this system is in place. It is the way of the future, unfortunately. We can hope that fire will stay in the clear, but that may not be the case as well, I guess :(

krazybob

I don't I don't want to get too far out in front of my skis on this and upset a moderator but there's absolutely no need for encryption of either law enforcement or fire. I don't know how many of you noticed in the San Bernardino County release they stated it was to keep criminals from listening. The Tweakers at frequent our area are lucky if they have cell phones and if they do they're not using them to listen to see if the sheriff's department is on its way. It's in and out. This is just a tall tale of the boogeyman story Rewritten.

For the record San Bernardino County Fire EMS is encrypted for HIPAA reasons but not the fire department. You will also find them on County 1-4 VHF in the clear. I don't see Los Angeles County Fire doing anything but the same. Also in San Bernardino County ATAC and CTAC encryption is optional. If it's a simple SAR mission it's generally going to be in the clear. We had one yesterday and it was entirely in the clear.

jrholm

Interesting thing, equipment was set up at my station's desk for the new system. It included a SCC type keyboard. When I asked, I was told each station would get their own dispatch and ltac channnels and the Sheriff was considering getting rid of SCC

code3cop

Not happening , waste of money

LA County Sheriffs and LA County Fire are NOT switching or going to any new system despite all this bull crap your hearing about LA RICS installing sities. This is just another time the govermnent has wasted time and money. The radio techs for LA County have all opted out for the new system. Encryption will not be happening other than for the rose parade. LA County is in the clear. Small local departments do not have the radios nor the encryption for this bull crap system. This would just lock everyone out and cause major mutual aid issues. We've all learned are lesson from the ICI system and should of never happened. This system will be much more unreliable with all the technology involved than the current analog system that works perfectly fine.

dgower

Premium Subscriber
That was hilarious! "the radio techs for LA County have all opted out for the new system"... what the hell does THAT mean? Are they the ones making the decision now??

"Encryption will not be happening other than for the rose parade"... so now for THREE years in a row, the rose parade has been on LARICS and each time in the clear....

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinon!
Thanks for the chuckle anyway!

And "code3cop" has a picture of a fire suburban?

allend

Premium Subscriber
LA County Sheriffs and LA County Fire are NOT switching or going to any new system despite all this bull crap your hearing about LA RICS installing sities. This is just another time the govermnent has wasted time and money. The radio techs for LA County have all opted out for the new system. Encryption will not be happening other than for the rose parade. LA County is in the clear. Small local departments do not have the radios nor the encryption for this bull crap system. This would just lock everyone out and cause major mutual aid issues. We've all learned are lesson from the ICI system and should of never happened. This system will be much more unreliable with all the technology involved than the current analog system that works perfectly fine.

Interesting rant. This new system is moving forward. If you have read and been following the system on Twitter you can see the installation of radio sites and big towers going up on mountain tops. So for someone to that has no knowledge and just write whatever please do your homework first. This state of the art LMR system is moving forward and be up and running in 2020. They are going to mesh this LMR system in with ATT&T new FirstNet system

https://twitter.com/theLARICS

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Board of supervisors, Sr Staff at the SO, and FD have already signed off on this long ago, not to mention the hundreds of APX8000s that LASD has in the field with RICs programmed, and many Dispatch channels patched to RIC, but yes its not moving forward.

PaulNDaOC

Is this a hunch of yours, or is this based on direct institutional knowledge?

Not that I know all, but I doubt Rose Parade Ops would be a major consideration for the need for encryption, though things do change, and have changed since I left SCC, and the paranoid could influence decisions.

Last edited:

PaulNDaOC

Board of supervisors, Sr Staff at the SO, and FD have already signed off on this long ago, not to mention the hundreds of APX8000s that LASD has in the field with RICs programmed, and many Dispatch channels patched to RIC, but yes its not moving forward.

The budget just introduced for next fiscal year beginning July 2018 has the funds allocated for the third batch of radios for LASD. No change indicated here.