Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) - Master Thread

shawn1899

The budget just introduced for next fiscal year beginning July 2018 has the funds allocated for the third batch of radios for LASD. No change indicated here.
I can tell you I've seen both sheriff and county fire radios that contain zones of larics talk groups and the talk groups are live on the system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

code3cop

Just because you see pics of it does not mean this system is moving forward. This system was disapproved a long time from a board of supervisors and admin staff from multiple departments and agencies. If you haven't already noticed how many cities have already backed out of this nasty system... LA RICS is just eating up their left over grant money. Its all propaganda. LA County is NOT switching over to this system.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Just because you see pics of it does not mean this system is moving forward. This system was disapproved a long time from a board of supervisors and admin staff from multiple departments and agencies.

Any chance you could back up your completely unfounded claims with some links or other documentation to show us all you are "in the know", and the entire system was "disapproved by the Board of Supervisors and Admin staff" ?

PS I am hearing regular traffic 24/7 for LASD Disp 3 and 6 on the new system, that has been disapproved...

shawn1899

Any chance you could back up your completely unfounded claims with some links or other documentation to show us all you are "in the know", and the entire system was "disapproved by the Board of Supervisors and Admin staff" ?

PS I am hearing regular traffic 24/7 for LASD Disp 3 and 6 on the new system, that has been disapproved...

I’ll second the request. Put your facts where your mouth is blowing steam. Reading the agenda of the last board meeting several cities are getting ready to switch over to the system full time in the near future. Inglewood and Bell be some of them. Also as others have mentioned there are numerous Lasd specialized units operating on the system every day.

I think someone peed in your wheaties and you’re just blowing smoke to whoever will listen code3cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brian808

I’ll second the request. Put your facts where your mouth is blowing steam. Reading the agenda of the last board meeting several cities are getting ready to switch over to the system full time in the near future. Inglewood and Bell be some of them. Also as others have mentioned there are numerous Lasd specialized units operating on the system every day.

I think someone peed in your wheaties and you’re just blowing smoke to whoever will listen code3cop.

As one of those specialized unit users I enjoy using my encrypted talk groups on a daily basis and think the new system is great.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
In China, they build "ghost cities" with apartments to house millions, which years later only house a few hundred. "If you build it, they will come" mentality.

Paul

allend

Premium Subscriber
Just because you see pics of it does not mean this system is moving forward. This system was disapproved a long time from a board of supervisors and admin staff from multiple departments and agencies. If you haven't already noticed how many cities have already backed out of this nasty system... LA RICS is just eating up their left over grant money. Its all propaganda. LA County is NOT switching over to this system.

Yes some cities have backed out for now. A lot of small agencies will remain on their conventional frequencies for the time being. Why fix something when its not broke. Slowly those small cities over time when the bugs are worked out and full operational they will slowly move over. Its might not be for another 5 years or so but it will happen over time.

And BTW pictures and LA-RICS website and Twitter showing the system being built out is no joke. They are not clearing land on hilltops putting up massive towers for a big dog and pony show. This is the real deal dude.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber

Do tell us more, code3cop (and why a fire BC rig for an avatar?). Having attended meetings within the last six months on the east coast with the top managers of the JPA to discuss spectrum issues, I also question your source of "information."

PaulNDaOC

Yes some cities have backed out for now. A lot of small agencies will remain on their conventional frequencies for the time being. Why fix something when its not broke. Slowly those small cities over time when the bugs are worked out and full operational they will slowly move over. Its might not be for another 5 years or so but it will happen over time.

And BTW pictures and LA-RICS website and Twitter showing the system being built out is no joke. They are not clearing land on hilltops putting up massive towers for a big dog and pony show. This is the real deal dude.

I agree I think more small cities will begin to show interest as their current systems approach 'end of life', and will no longer be able to get parts or maintenance on their current system.

One has to consider joining a system the feds mostly have funded.

I think Los Angeles pulled out with the hope they would get what they figured was their share of the RICS funds to spend for their own future system.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I would add I did not find any items in the last JPA Agenda mentioning a "bull crap system". Is that part of FirstNet?

jrholm

so all the equipment they've installed at my work is a fantasy, got it.......plus the 6 cars at the station who's MDC's go through the lte system instead of contracted cell service.....

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like security at Exposition Park has set up on TG 51. They are having coverage issues - mobiles are ok, HT's. particularly from inside a vehicle, don't work very well...

Engine104

Member since 2005
Is there any estimate on when LASD and LACoFD will move over?

I assume, based on some other discussions on here, that LASD will be encrypted?

krazybob

I have an associate with LASD that informs me that he does not believe they will switch over to encryption or to the new system for that matter anytime soon. They simply don't have the money.
Is there any estimate on when LASD and LACoFD will move over?

I assume, based on some other discussions on here, that LASD will be encrypted?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

shawn1899

I have an associate with LASD that informs me that he does not believe they will switch over to encryption or to the new system for that matter anytime soon. They simply don't have the money.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would contradict that by saying the project is fully funded and Lasd is currently deploying apx8000 portables to all deputy personnel as fast as they can. To date pretty much all the talk groups are encrypted. I’ve see over 100 talk groups on the system with some sort of activity and very few were in the clear.

Maybe your associate has better info but most of my info is public record thus far.

PaulNDaOC

I agree with Shawn, the infrastructure is being paid for with federal funds and grants and the county budget has been funding large lots of radios for LASD each year.

Switch over is not for years, but it is on schedule, and more towers are going into place all the time.

I hope Bob is correct about encryption.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Switch over "not for years" is good news.

My understanding too is that this is mostly being funded through a federal grant (Homeland Security?).

I'll second what Paul said about encryption.

krazybob

My information comes from a Captain not in communications and I expected that it might not be fully accurate. But with so much already encrypted I don't know if I want to buy any more scanners. I have commercial radios for Phase II but of course not encryption. My fellow scanner enthusiasts... I think we are reaching the end of a wonderful hobby unless you are more interested in fire. I actually AM. Living in the San Berdu's we have intense fire op's. We had a car go over 900 feet this morning. Patient has survived so far. Yesterday a drunk went over at 8am. Broke his leg.