Manitoba EMS traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlavoie

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I picked up a BC246T a while back, so have been having some fun figuring it all out. I do have the trunked listing from RadioReference set up, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing rural EMS (and perhaps fire) traffic.

I do get the interagency traffic used when they're calling each other, but my scanner's pretty much mute compared to what's going on when I'm working as a casual in our local unit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim

BC_Scan

I would first scan the one (only) zone you are in say "the pas" for example , and look for that traffic , say SE Manitoba region tg 20160 if that is your dispatch
you could also while you are in your bus try to close call the output of your radios transmission, to make sure you group is still in 800 mhz region , tx will be in the low 800 's 45 mhz lower than receive @ 854- 869 mhz,
hopefully you have not locked out any talkgroup's
make sure the radio is in search mode , not scan mode,
if you do not know all of your radio's channels , they are possbily not listed in the database, go thru each one channel by channel, motorolas are typically in three banks A, B, C, 16 channels each (depending on needs) A1-16 might be region one dispatch B1-16 might be region 2 , C1-16 might be PFA or firstresponders mutual aid etc, anything is possible, once you understand all that this may help determine your dispatches talkgroup (channel)

tlavoie

Premium Subscriber
Excellent ideas, thanks! I have been leaving a scan group in search mode to pick up what I can, though have to keep locking out the occasional bit from Winnipeg's much busier services to keep the noise down. I mostly need to sit down and actively play with this thing, instead of just having it nearby when doing something else.

I like the close-call idea, just have to remember the scanner when flying out the door. While cool, it's not quite in the list of "must-haves" at that point. :)

Cheers,
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.