• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxMcCloud

I'm new to MDC and Motorola. I have a few HT1250's and a GMRS license. There's a video on youtube describing the MDC Stun feature
. What program is this? Where can I get it? What will I need for it? Are there any easy and cheap alternatives? Sorry for asking all these questions but Google did not yield any results for me. Since I'm using my radios on GMRS I don't want some jerk to stun my radio while I'm working.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Stun (and Kill) are MDC features in dispatch consoles. They are rarely seen anywhere else.

If you don’t enable MDC on the receive side,

Stun and Kill are effectively disabled. There’s not much need for MDC in GMRS anyway.

I had MDC running for a while on my GMRS radios and since it’s me and the wife only, it got annoying fast.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
A downside with it is anyone can see your id, a maliciously send a kill command from a radio that is capable of sending commands.

While it don't happen much it can.

FoxMcCloud

Stun (and Kill) are MDC features in dispatch consoles. They are rarely seen anywhere else.

If you don’t enable MDC on the receive side,

Stun and Kill are effectively disabled. There’s not much need for MDC in GMRS anyway.

I had MDC running for a while on my GMRS radios and since it’s me and the wife only, it got annoying fast.
Thanks, I have all motos on freq so it mutes the full ack. I agree the full ack will get annoying really fast. I deployed motos for our work and have MDC enabled for identification. I had two motos die last week, now that I know stun and kill only will work if MDC is enabled for receive. That was just due to a failure of the radio.

FoxMcCloud

A downside with it is anyone can see your id, a maliciously send a kill command from a radio that is capable of sending commands.

While it don't happen much it can.
As the other user was mentioning, will this only happen if MDC is enabled on received? Won't they also need the DPL tone my radios are set to?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
If your radio isn't set to accept checks or stun then you are fine.

If it is only allowing mdc on pl/dpl proper decoding then you are fine.

If it Wil accept mdc data on anything csq to pl/dpl and is enabled for stun or check then it'll respond to that.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
He's showing my MDCTool application; which I had released on Microsoft's CodePlex a long time ago. CodePlex has since shutdown, and obviously I think that repository/project there is gone. But you can find the code here: gatekeep/MDCTool

Its just a fancy UI stuck on-top of a port of Matthew Kaufman's MDC1200 C libraries (which you can find here: atmatthewat/mdc-encode-decode).

Be aware this software (other then the README I added today...) hasn't been touched in several years and I give no warranties or support for it.

Last edited:

FoxMcCloud

He's showing my MDCTool application; which I had released on Microsoft's CodePlex a long time ago. CodePlex has since shutdown, and obviously I think that repository/project there is gone. But you can find the code here: gatekeep/MDCTool

Its just a fancy UI stuck on-top of a port of Matthew Kaufman's MDC1200 C libraries (which you can find here: atmatthewat/mdc-encode-decode).

Be aware this software (other then the README I added today...) hasn't been touched in several years and I give no warranties or support for it.
Thanks for posting that, I'll try it out in a VM

FoxMcCloud

If your radio isn't set to accept checks or stun then you are fine.

If it is only allowing mdc on pl/dpl proper decoding then you are fine.

If it Wil accept mdc data on anything csq to pl/dpl and is enabled for stun or check then it'll respond to that.
How do I configure my radio to do that in CPS?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Under mdc, there should be boxes to tick to enable radio check, radio stun in the mdc personality menu for each personality.

FoxMcCloud

Under mdc, there should be boxes to tick to enable radio check, radio stun in the mdc personality menu for each personality.
I uncked radio checking here, but there does not seem to be an option in the conventional personalitiesMDCcontext.PNG

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
The Waris line of radios always has the Radio Check, Stun and Revive commands enabled. I do not believe there is an option in the CPS to change those settings.

FoxMcCloud

There was a check box for radio check. I disabled that. I turned on only accept data on proper dpl tones. I used it today and had no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.