Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Checking KACY LiveATC Approach archives between 1330-1430 EST and they weren't working anyone on VR-1709 nor did I hear anything fast. Does VR-1709 traffic usually call ACY Approach ? I see in the AP/1B that it says it's "recommended".

Generally the aircraft will call "any radio" on 255.400 with their intentions before entering 1709 and then upon entering the route. Since most aircraft doing the route are headed towards McGuire/Atlantic City or Warren Grove....they will contact ACY radar upon completion of the route and then climbing back to previous assigned altitude.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Checking KACY LiveATC Approach archives between 1330-1430 EST and they weren't working anyone on VR-1709 nor did I hear anything fast. Does VR-1709 traffic usually call ACY Approach ? I see in the AP/1B that it says it's "recommended".

So then does anyone remember if the Atlantic Test Track was active during that time? I will search the Pax River archives on LiveATC to see what I can find.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

Times I posted are from the official schedule. The TFR you posted has it ending an hour after scheduled departure, because we all know Joe runs late more than not.

Effective Date(s):
From January 15, 2023 at 1945 UTC (January 15, 2023 at 1445 EST)
To January 16, 2023 at 1630 UTC (January 16, 2023 at 1130 EST)

Screenshot 2023-01-15 18.19.01.png

NYAirOne

0957- Nighthawk 8 & 2 other acft working in 143.825. Lead pilot says "it's not ideal" Also working ADW tower (118.4) & discrete (273.95) Nighthawk flt consists of NH 1, NH2 & NH8.

0955- Noble 41 flt leaving CAP at FL280. Working ZNY Millville (323.3)>ZOB Indian Head (363.075)

1015- Devill 11 flt (F-16s NJ ANG) working ZDC Sea Isle (285.4)>ZDC Millville (363.0)>ZNY Millville (323.3)>ZNY Phillipsburg (306.2). Cleared to Slate Run so maybe heading to Duke MOA or Ft Drum?

Devil was in Duke MOA doing some ACM. 298.600 A/A

NYAirOne

I don't have that 234.175 either. Was searching when NOBLE's were arriving and for a few seconds had voice coms on it.
Haven't heard anything since.Most of the time the Ohio guys compare notes on Huntress 260.900 so not much other A/A.

OH guys were using their a/a on 367.500 before they switched to Huntress freqs on station.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I checked the KACY LiveATC archives from 0900-1500. The only F-16 departures I heard on the 13th were DEVIL 11 (x5) at 0958 and SATAN 21 (x4) at 1015. On Delivery both flights were cleared to KPAM/Tyndall AFB via ATR-SBY then as filed. On initial departure both were cleared to 7000 feet. As the incident was reported to have happened around 1400 it seems unlikely NJ F-16s were the culprits.
Rgr looking at that vid the A/C F-16's had little ordinance but lots of ER fuel tanks.. No doubt Southbound for a warmer climate.
They did Key West and PR last Winter.

Good article on the SP F-16's that came Westbound earlier this week enroute to Alaska.
Spangdahlem's Warhawks on the move (scramble.nl)

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
OT but close call at JFK am sure you heard on the news.. Watching this seems AAL106 screwed up but we shall see.
NEAR COLLISION between Departing and Taxiing aircraft at JFK - YouTube

I watched and listened to the audio. AAL 106 was supposed to hold short of 31L at K while going for a 4L departure. Instead of making a Right turn off B to cross 31L at KE - they stayed on B and made a Right turn on J - which put them in a position to cross 4L not 31L as cleared to cross by Ground Control. Technically the crew did not follow ground instructions for taxi - althought possibly the ground controller should have seen them not make the turn since they were going against traffic flowing the opposite direction. In reality the flight crew was at fault for missing the turn. There were other aircraft using 31L for departure and an American flight 185 was assigned 31L after them - so perhaps they got confused - heard 31L and forgot they were assigned 4L for departure.

Hbright

SAM875 into Tel Aviv (presumably SOCOM CO) departed from TPA rather than MCF. Something wrong with MacDill's runways?

Also flagging that SAM869's (delayed) customer today was Gen Milley:

Milley and SECDEF Austin are scheduled to be in Germany on Jan 20th:

Lots of US VIPs in Europe around that time, re WEF meeting in Switzerland. Expect probably 3 aircraft, 1 for Wray, 1 for the rest of the executive branch delegation, and 1 for CODEL.

Mark

Premium Subscriber

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Doubt it on take off - but they did come up VR-1709 using the Bay Side of Cape May County. As I explained to others locally, when they do the run up the bay - it is at low altitude and high speed (350-400 mph). That day there was a low cloud ceiling over the bay which can reflect the engine sound really good. Four jets about 5 seconds apart passing any point with those conditions will cause a raukus. I saw them and heard the noise while making a salad in my kitchen (no radio nearby). My daughter asked me what it was and I told her the same explanation.

I was away on the 13th but here is what the radio recorded for me. Sounds like the F-22's (MADDOG's) were up around that time, but judging by the signal strength, they were further down south maybe in W-386. When they are in W-107 they are much stronger. Later the CAP started.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
So then does anyone remember if the Atlantic Test Track was active during that time? I will search the Pax River archives on LiveATC to see what I can find.

I also listened to the LiveATC KNTU/Oceana Giant Killer archives on the 13th from 1200-1600 EST.

In the past on this feed I have heard GK clear traffic from the south into the Atlantic Test Track. However the reception of the GK controllers are weak and intermittent and the feed is scanning multiple frequencies so it's easy for something to get blocked and missed, plus there is splashover interference from a civilian frequency (ZDC 127.750).

W386 and W72 were both busy up until around 1330 EST, and by 1400 most traffic had exited the 2 areas. I never heard anyone enter the Atlantic Test Track, but then it could have easily been blocked by other traffic.

I'm not aware of any LiveATC feed that covers PAX River. Is there one that isn't listed on the net ?

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
I also listened to the LiveATC KNTU/Oceana Giant Killer archives on the 13th from 1200-1600 EST.

In the past on this feed I have heard GK clear traffic from the south into the Atlantic Test Track. However the reception of the GK controllers are weak and intermittent and the feed is scanning multiple frequencies so it's easy for something to get blocked and missed, plus there is splashover interference from a civilian frequency (ZDC 127.750).

W386 and W72 were both busy up until around 1330 EST, and by 1400 most traffic had exited the 2 areas. I never heard anyone enter the Atlantic Test Track, but then it could have easily been blocked by other traffic.

I'm not aware of any LiveATC feed that covers PAX River. Is there one that isn't listed on the net ?

Agreed - feed not the clearest but at least it is there. On the PAX feed - I thought there used to be one but maybe I was mistaken. Not the first time LOL. Perhaps another feed had 127.95 but I could not even find that.

Status
Not open for further replies.