Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber

I know Gander Oceanic from many years of HF listening. But this was an aircraft on UHF working ZDC and sounding like "Gander." Could have been a similar word but they were loud and clear.

N4TX

Premium Subscriber
REACH-598, an ANG C-17 #94-0069 RTB Martinsburg at 1605L today...after being gone since Friday. Route was KMRB to Germany to Bangor to New Orleans in support of the ANG fighter participating in the Defender Europe 23 NATO exercise. I may have missed some stops along the way.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber

This is the only article I’ve found about the flight, but it is detailed, including a rather indirect route to avoid the EU.
I'm not too familiar with common new protocols and thinking about politics / diplomacy, is this the equivalent of 'recalling their ambassadors' ?

In times past 'recalling ambassadors' had a specific meaning.

Thanks
Joel

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
GANDER-11 working ZDC on 353.9. Who's GANDER?

No LiveATC coverage of 353.900 but checking the adjacent ZDC frequencies around that time (1430 EDT) there was WILD 11 eastbound RTB to KADW on 282.200 and NISMO 11 on 121.675 (a new callsign for me). Didn't hear anything that sounded like GANDER 11 ? Any more info like time you heard them, what they said, handoff frequency ?

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
No LiveATC coverage of 353.900 but checking the adjacent ZDC frequencies around that time (1430 EDT) there was WILD 11 eastbound RTB to KADW on 282.200 and NISMO 11 on 121.675 (a new callsign for me). Didn't hear anything that sounded like GANDER 11 ? Any more info like time you heard them, what they said, handoff frequency ?
My correction seems I was thinking of 353.950 ZDC Ultra High.. Don't know 353.900 around here.
Nismo . LOL some of these training mission callsigns are getting funky.

Last edited:

N4TX

Premium Subscriber
My correction seems I was thinking of 353.950 ZDC Ultra High.. Don't know 353.900 around here.
Nismo . LOL some of these training mission callsigns are getting funky.
I actually heard the GANDER on a BC125AT with a ducky, so he must have been pretty close. But I was mobile and didn't note the time. He was calling "Center" on what I had as a ZDC frequency and picked up the usual ATC instructions. I stuffed the BC125AT with ZDC's UHF frequencies as listed in RadioReference. I'm not sure those have been updated recently and it's possible he was working some center other than ZDC.

thedutydoctor

Good evening, (W8BF0) here so I wanted to ask you fine Gents if you could recommend 10 or 20 good VHF or UHF frequencies I might use from my location in Hedgesville WV. I have the SDS200 with a desktop discone located in the loft. I'm kida unsure of the sector that I may be in so not sure other than searching what I might do and since I am working I am limited to time, that being said I have seen multiple C17s and K35r's over head via adsbexchange which is running while I am working in the radio room/computer room.

Thanks in advance.
Will

Mark

Premium Subscriber
2140 local ADSBX Here comes RUNNER-01 the USMC new C-40A/B737 (AE7457) #170041 inbound from NAS Whidbey Island
seems headed for North Carolina.. Bet they like their new ride.. supposed to be another one delivered in Fall this year.

AR-80NE Res late tomorrow morning seems odd altitudes FL-190-FL-210 11:30am-12:30pm local time.

FLOYD-73 McGuire C-17 flying locals tonight... 1973 was year Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon.. maybe coincidence,
I may have scratchy vinyl copy or two of that album in storage box somewhere :)

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
POTUS NYC trip tomorrow

12:45 PM THE PRESIDENT departs the White House en route to Joint Base
1:05 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Joint Base Andrews en route to Queens, New
2:00 PM THE PRESIDENT arrives in Queens, New York, John F. Kennedy International Airport
2:10 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Queens, New York, en route to New York, New York Wall Street Landing Zone
2:25 PM THE PRESIDENT arrives in New York, New York, Wall Street Landing Zone, New York, New York
9:05 PM THE PRESIDENT departs New York, New York en route to Queens, New York, from Wall Street Landing Zone, New York, New York
9:30 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Queens, New York en route to Joint Base Andrews
10:40 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Joint Base Andrews en route to the White House

Mark

Premium Subscriber
2120z
FLAMs, GASMAN, MOLSON, SLAMs, SPICYs, and VIMMYs all inbound now.

Freqs:
260.900 Huntress
241.100 SLAM and GASMAN (photos directions mention GoPro)
341.750 SPICYs
290.500 SPICY 11 wkg ZBW
235.850 FLAMs

2130z Photoshoot from GASMAN 58-0060 to bombers and fighters happening now. Coordination on 241.1 heading direct Portsmouth, NH at this time.
2137z GASMAN wkg HUNTRESS on 260.9 ID as a flight of five. Looking to go direct ACY, direct DYS.
Roger that Monday SPICY flight confirmed intercept and photo shoot by NORAD and RCAF..
https://twitter.com/NORADCommand

BM82557

Good evening, (W8BF0) here so I wanted to ask you fine Gents if you could recommend 10 or 20 good VHF or UHF frequencies I might use from my location in Hedgesville WV. I have the SDS200 with a desktop discone located in the loft. I'm kida unsure of the sector that I may be in so not sure other than searching what I might do and since I am working I am limited to time, that being said I have seen multiple C17s and K35r's over head via adsbexchange which is running while I am working in the radio room/computer room.

Thanks in advance.
Will

Depends on where your interests lie, when the Guard Dog CAP is active for DC/Camp David this is a start --

Ron has an Milair freq list that he updates and posts here --

Attachments

• Mid-Atlantic Milair freqs-31 Mar 2023.txt
    37.3 KB · Views: 32

thedutydoctor

2140 local ADSBX Here comes RUNNER-01 the USMC new C-40A/B737 (AE7457) #170041 inbound from NAS Whidbey Island
seems headed for North Carolina.. Bet they like their new ride.. supposed to be another one delivered in Fall this year.

AR-80NE Res late tomorrow morning seems odd altitudes FL-190-FL-210 11:30am-12:30pm local time.

FLOYD-73 McGuire C-17 flying locals tonight... 1973 was year Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon.. maybe coincidence,
I may have scratchy vinyl copy or two of that album in storage box somewhere :)
Hey Mark...that was a great album, I have the quadraphonic LP version - sadly I left the old player behind when we emigrated since it was 240v 50hz :cry:

thedutydoctor

Depends on where your interests lie, when the Guard Dog CAP is active for DC/Camp David this is a start --

Ron has an Milair freq list that he updates and posts here --
Awesome thanks Ron, this will get me up and running so to speak. I have a bunch already programmed in but so far what I pulled personally from RR is kinda hit n miss if you know what I mean. At least this gets me rolling.. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.