Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The Defense Department will begin training Ukrainians to fly and maintain F-16 fighter jets in the coming months, Pentagon Press Secretary Air Force Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said today.

The training is expected to begin in October at the Morris Air National Guard Base in Tucson, Arizona, and will be facilitated by the Air National Guard's 162nd Wing.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Am down in the area for a brief getaway, and spent some time today trying to get a feel for how they do things at Oceana. Here's what I found in terms of Approach, Departure and Arrival, thus far. Used a couple TRX-1's with clocks synced.
Not a peep on 288.3, which is supposed to be Button-4 Departure. 266.8 (Button 5) functioning both as departure and approach. Most departure handoffs were to Giantkiller on 361.3 (Button 6) for W-72. A few to Cherry Point Approach on 268.7 (Button 12). 266.8 was also simulcasting instructions to civilian a/c around Currituck, NC. Frequently directing planes to Norfolk Approach on 126.05.

On arrival, 323.05 (Button 7) was used at altitudes from around 4000 down to 1600, and sometimes the landing would be completed on this freq. It looks like most or all planes on this freq were handed off from 266.8. Today was very overcast with a low ceiling, and I heard remarks that the 'overhead was closed.' Planes handed offf to 323.05 did the RNAV approach to Runway 5R. One flight of two split to a 'PAR' (I'm not familiar with the term, but it sounded like they wanted to break formation and land on parallel runways) At the point of 'PAR' the two aircraft were addressed separately for the rest of the approach. Until the weather cleared that evening, all planes were on a straight-in approach, and full-stop. After the weather cleared, they were allowed to make their break and go around.

Lots of GCA today, but no button numbers used. Frequencies always read out. In a few cases, the ground simulcast 323.05 and a GCA frequency--the only one I specifically remember was 346.4. In at least some cases, the plane switched to tower freq once they had the runway in sight. All six GCA freqs in the quote above were used at some time or another today. The main difference I'm seeing between 'Arrival' and 'GCA/SFA' is that 'Arrival' doesn't confine itself to a single aircraft.

Didn't really get much done in terms of confirming air/air freqs, but now I feel much better about how to approach the whole package. 266.8 proved to be the real key frequency for both departures and arrivals. I had to keep radios parked on both 266.8 and 323.05 in order to find that out. Today was almost entirely ROMAN's and RIPPER's with one or two INFERNO's thrown in. Maybe I'll learn a new thing or two tomorrow.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Allen, great report.

I have 288.3 used for Single Frequency Approach/Ground Controlled Approach (source: one of the FAA pubs) and I have heard it used that way earlier this year. It's not used that often.

266.8 is Oceana's main approach/departure freq.

I have 323.05 as a SFA/GCA also. I use SFA and GCA interchangeably. Not sure if that's correct. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Looking forward to your next report.

Larry

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
USArmy parachute team just did a single-person jump pulling smoke over KMRB, with the rest of the team in a second jump. Tip from my wife’s pilots group sent us up to see today’s practice for tomorrow’s air show. However, all entrances to the field are blocked off for show prep. We’re watching the acrobatics from the Sheets at the end of Rwy 26. Did get a glimpse of a C-17 parked over by the restaurant side. Restaurant is closed.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
More info on the F/A-18 that crashed in Miramar. VULTURE 51 (x2) was cleared for the RNAV 24L via POCAB. VULTURE 52 on the missed approach calls himself BENGAL a couple of times (also a VMFA-224 callsign). Controller reads back MGRS position 11SMS9499838843 this corresponds with a lat/long (N)32.8877295°, (W)-117.0534779°, this is 3.8 nm from the threshold of runway 24L. Elevation at that location is around 850 to 1000 feet, minimum altitude on the approach is 2600 feet on that segment.

More complete comms. Some Tower comms are broken/missing as mutiple frequencies are being scanned and reception is poor.

LiveATC Audio

VULTURE 51.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Allen, great report.

I have 288.3 used for Single Frequency Approach/Ground Controlled Approach (source: one of the FAA pubs) and I have heard it used that way earlier this year. It's not used that often.

266.8 is Oceana's main approach/departure freq.

I have 323.05 as a SFA/GCA also. I use SFA and GCA interchangeably. Not sure if that's correct. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Looking forward to your next report.

Larry
288.3 - A guy that I was talking to at the spot showed me a list he said he'd copied from the tower some years back. His list has 288.3 as approach North, vs. 266.8 being approach South. I'm thinking that Oceana doesn't have much approaching from too far north, so that could be one explanation for the silence. 266.8 was also carrying traffic for civilian planes out of Currituck, maybe parallel on 123.9 so I dunno. Despite having those frequencies, he had a very old scanner for a young guy, and was unaware of just how informative 266.8 was.

73/Allen

fryy

Premium Subscriber
Tresspasser in Lake Tahoe.. Sounds familiar :)
Thanks for bringing this up! I run the Travis feed (KSUU) glad I punched in a couple Norad freq's, you can hear a majority of the intercept in the archive, today 1430Z. If theres any tips on what other Norad freqs/fighters to monitor let me know. I usually pick up the Bigfoot controller 5x5, but this one today is only the fighter unfortunately.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
288.3 - A guy that I was talking to at the spot showed me a list he said he'd copied from the tower some years back. His list has 288.3 as approach North, vs. 266.8 being approach South. I'm thinking that Oceana doesn't have much approaching from too far north, so that could be one explanation for the silence. 266.8 was also carrying traffic for civilian planes out of Currituck, maybe parallel on 123.9 so I dunno. Despite having those frequencies, he had a very old scanner for a young guy, and was unaware of just how informative 266.8 was.

73/Allen
Interesting stuff. If you look up Currituck Regional Airport in SkyVector, that airport doesn't have a control tower, but for communications it lists Oceana Approach/Departure Control on 123.9 and 266.8.

If you'd like, I can send you a copy of a very detailed spreadsheet with FAA ATC frequencies that I got from someone on RR. If I interpret the info correctly, Oceana Approach/Departure Control has a remote site at Currituck Regional. It also shows 288.3 as SFA for Oceana (Apollo Field).

Status
Not open for further replies.