Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Thursday is usually travel day for up and coming airshows and schedule has them this week.
September 13-15 - London, Ontario, Canada :)
Several heavies inbound London Airport Ontario.

Grit-58 C-17 #04-4135 up from Altus.
PAWN-54 KC-135 #60-0351 also up from Altus OK.
Rch-2020 C-5M #87-0037 from Mass.
Looks like Barksdale Buff landing London Ontario after a pass.
Also supposed to have UK based Red Arrows demo team Sat and Sunday as well.
Seems 100 year RCAF anniversary bringing on top performers.
1726169878633.png

Next Month the 109th AW switches to Antartica mssions.. :)
NY Air Guard's 109th Airlift Wing finishes Greenland science support season

Last edited:

dmi

Premium Subscriber
BISON 71 working Viper earlier. When they entered advised ZBW 123.875 that they were MARSA with all players, they also accidentally keyed up on 123.875 and were heard calling MISFIT 10 advising them we are now up on AM on 149.100. Also heard HYDRA 20 enroute to the Fort Drum Range, sounded like an MQ-9, a new NY ANG callsign for me if that's who it was. Reviewing the achives now to try and find who else was in there, nothing heard so far on the usual VT and MA ANG A-A frequencies.
Can you please clarify what entity 149.100 (AM) is being used by?

jsoergel

Question for the VA guys.

Do you know if the Navy acft use a discrete set of A2A freqs when they are working in W386? I usually hear the Langley acft when they are in W386 but I've not been able to hear the Navy F-18s who I know are working in the same areas at the same altitudes as the Langley acft. I have a bunch of A2A freqs for some of the F-18s (Victory, Ram Roman, Party) from Jared's list, but have not heard anything on them so far. Any help would be appreciated.
Could be working with GCI controllers or a TACTS range.

bruinsaviator

Not sure if this helps, but Omega Air Refueling has a DC-10 at PSM right now. Departed around 3:40PM and flew up to the Adirondack MOAs. It has no boom, but a drogue system. Maybe Marine Corps/USN aircraft are working up there? Maybe Canadian Hornets? There’s definitely an exercise since there are multiple tanks working those areas around the clock.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this helps, but Omega Air Refueling has a DC-10 at PSM right now. Departed around 3:40PM and flew up to the Adirondack MOAs. It has no boom, but a drogue system. Maybe Marine Corps/USN aircraft are working up there? Maybe Canadian Hornets? There’s definitely an exercise since there are multiple tanks working those areas around the clock.
That does help, I didn't know about the Omega tanker. Maybe that's what I was hearing on 340.425 ? So far the only fighters I've heard are the VT ANG F-35s that have been rotating in and out of the airspace for most of the day, all have been using the MAPLE callsign which is usually their travel callsign. The only thing I've heard on 149.100 are the MAPLE and BISON flights calling MISFIT 10 to report entering and exiting the airspace, no other TAC like comms heard on that freq.

Last edited:

pro2004

That does help, I didn't know about the Omega tanker. Maybe that's what I was hearing on 340.425 ? So far the only fighters I've heard are the VT ANG F-35s that have been rotating in and out of the airspace for most of the day, all have been using the MAPLE callsign which is usually their travel callsign. The only thing I've heard on 149.100 are the MAPLE and BISON flights calling MISFIT 10 to report entering and exiting the airspace, no other TAC like comms heard on that freq.
149.1, 148.8, 149.525 & 149.875 all AM w/ mention of Striker & Barkeater

Tank67

Premium Subscriber

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Thanks as OME10 still working up there now. N974VV (AD9470). Like I said earlier today those upstate NY ranges are booked
solid thru 0400z Friday night or Sat am in Z times :)
This must be year end of US Mil fiscal year craziness (Oct-01) as especially choppers and all types real busy through out the US.
1726190881306.png

Last edited:

hrspotter

Jet noise lover
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 20.59.27.pngSLAYER 11 (HSC-11 Dragonslayers callsign) armed up with a M197 and Hydra pod out of Chambers Field today.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 21.04.05.png

And HURRICANE 04 carrying a AN/SPU-1W MOP (magnetic orange pipe).
Having trouble copying the acft from my scanner without any attenuation.
Also heard a KRAKEN 11 but not sure if HSC-11 or HSC-28.

nomar

v

Do you know if the Navy acft use a discrete set of A2A freqs when they are working in W386? I usually hear the Langley acft when they are in W386 but I've not been able to hear the Navy F-18s who I know are working in the same areas at the same altitudes as the Langley acft. I have a bunch of A2A freqs for some of the F-18s (Victory, Ram Roman, Party) from Jared's list, but have not heard anything on them so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you know if the Navy acft use a discrete set of A2A freqs when they are working in W386? I usually hear the Langley acft when they are in W386 but I've not been able to hear the Navy F-18s who I know are working in the same areas at the same altitudes as the Langley acft. I have a bunch of A2A freqs for some of the F-18s (Victory, Ram Roman, Party) from Jared's list, but have not heard anything on them so far. Any help would be appreciated.T

This is coming from a guy who lives in Georgia. Many years ago there was a online radio I could tune that was close to Nas Oceana. After take off they would switch to 233.700 button 7 and then goto 357.800 button 8 (and I think now is 357.400) but just a guess from what i've heard since.
Other times after talking to the controller on 233.700, F-18s from Oceana would check in on 253.200 or 355.100 both discrete freqs and (its been many years) one of those was button 10 and the other button 11. 253.200 and 355.100 were very active back then.
I have now Idea if they were in W-386 or W-72.