Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

apex31

1630- ADS-B showing Reach 636 (C-17 # 93-0602) on ground at ACY maybe getting ready to depart. Rare to see Reach flts out of ACY
I’d have to assume it’s bound for Aviano AB to support the four 119th FS F-16s which arrived there yesterday.

Thanks to Raleigh for the update. Guess the travel pods are enough for the Devils! :)

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Probably not the VP as someone else will be in Lancaster Co and attending Steelers game
Yeah that figures.. If you want to see Don signs lining the roads take a back road ride thru Lancaster County.. Wow!
But being a Sunday prob not much of an Amish voter turnout though in afternoons say 2PM on Sundays after Church/Lunch you
get tons of Amish horse buggies mostly youngsters out enjoying the roads with the Fams.. Very friendly and always waving at you.
Got to keep your eye out for them on those winding blind spot backroads. :)

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that figures.. If you want to see Don signs lining the roads take a back road ride thru Lancaster County.. Wow!
But being a Sunday prob not much of an Amish voter turnout though in afternoons say 2PM on Sundays after Church/Lunch you
get tons of Amish horse buggies mostly youngsters out enjoying the roads with the Fams.. Very friendly and always waving at you.
Got to keep your eyes out for them on those windy blind spot backroads. :)

Off topic but in response to @Mark ...

Date and Time:
Sunday, October 20, 2024, 5:00PM EDT

Venue:
Lancaster Convention Center, 25 S. Queen St., Lancaster, PA 17603

Dutchmil

BTW seems Warzone has updated their page to indicate B-2's came from Australia as some here had already guessed :)
Hi Mark and all,

You were right, the B-2s were supported by more then 10 tankers from Australia.
I have some tails, but none of them showed up anywhere on tracking sites.
If the DOD don't want us to follow them on real world missions, they can make that happen which is good I think ... (y)

The B-2s were SARGE 11 and SARGE 21 flight and they all returned safely to Whiteman AFB.

wickedjane

Hi Mark and all,

You were right, the B-2s were supported by more then 10 tankers from Australia.
I have some tails, but none of them showed up anywhere on tracking sites.
If the DOD don't want us to follow them on real world missions, they can make that happen which is good I think ... (y)

The B-2s were SARGE 11 and SARGE 21 flight and they all returned safely to Whiteman AFB.
Thank You!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Here comes the E-4B #73-1677 feet dry in Maine due West headed for Offutt no doubt..
Sometimes they send a spare tanker even though two will do the job just in case.
Have heard E-4B tanker coms in past and thirsty tails as usually get 80k fuel from each of two tankers.

SKIER-75 #83-0492 109th AW still making its way home over Michigan to Schenectady NY from California McClellan.
Must have had some mech problems.. They have 10 so called Skier mod LC-130's so maybe will pick up
a spare and try again.. First time ever seen this on on those guys on the frozen tundra mission :)

Last edited:
LiveATC. Callsign sounded like TIGER 33, stated they had an Emergency (note the 7700 squawk code). Traffic on other frequencies blocked out any more info. They went and added the Norfolk Approach frequencies to the Langley Tower feed so now a lot of Langley traffic is getting blocked out by the very busy approach frequencies.
I heard him on one or both of my scanners that I have active, didn't catch his call, I think he identified as an F-35, (F35LTNG Hex: AF351F Reg: DEFAULT United States DB flags:military Type:F35 LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 Lightning 2 Type Desc.:L1J Squawk:7700), declared an emergency 25 miles out, engine overheat, asked for a straight in. Didn't get what frequency/frequencies as I was busy pulling up adsbexchange to see if they were showing up.Watched them on there as they came into Langley. As it came in I went outside to see if I could catch sight if it, but from them doing a straight in, I think they were too low for how far away they were.
Seems like things come in bunches, that mq-4c Triton the other night that declared an emergency and disappeared, and I saw a HAWK (Goshawk)on the adsbexchange, VYT15 ADS-B Exchange - track aircraft live (VYT15 Hex: 43C55B Reg.:ZK024 United Kingdom DB flags:military Type:HAWK BRITISH AEROSPACE T-45 Goshawk Type Desc.:L1J Squawk:7700), this morning, apparently took off from RAF Valley Anglesey Airport, flew for over half an hour, declared an emergency, turned around and landed at Newcastle International Airport.

morfis

and I saw a HAWK (Goshawk)on the adsbexchange, VYT15 ADS-B Exchange - track aircraft live (VYT15 Hex: 43C55B Reg.:ZK024 United Kingdom DB flags:military Type:HAWK BRITISH AEROSPACE T-45 Goshawk Type Desc.:L1J Squawk:7700), this morning, apparently took off from RAF Valley Anglesey Airport, flew for over half an hour, declared an emergency, turned around and landed at Newcastle International Airport.

I doubt if any UK spotters paid any attention the Hawk T2 (no Goshawks in the RAF) from RAF Valley ...fairly routine.

Far more of them will have noticed the F18E from the USS Harry S Truman which had an IFE and diverted into Prestwick on Tuesday (it flew back to the carrier yesterday).
The anoraks at Mildenhall yesterday probably used up several boxes of tissues with five Qatari F-15QAs on delivery as well as six F-18s from the carrier calling in.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Couple of US Navy P-8's southbound over Scotland assume out of Iceland.
Have a feeling on busy week coming up that the US annual Global Thunder Stratcom exercise and current NATO exercise in UK area
are gonna blend in with each other over there :)
Notice last two days very few Navy E-6B's flying around the US.. Have a feeling getting ready soon to work.

Camp CAP up with NOBLE-11 F-15's from Barnes. Getting some weak A/A on 259.000 and Huntress 228.900
Tanker A/R 231.625.

Last edited:

mdmonitor

Posted on another list. Related to STRATCOMM exercise.

1911z 18 Oct 24

11175.0 USB was (very) active 17 Oct 24 with HANDBALL (HFGCS broadcasting 10 EAMs over a two hour window (1333z-1525z); and 8 EAMs over a 3 hour window (1833z-2138z). They were busy. The first session began with a C6 string followed 4 minutes later by a 30-character P5 string, with the rest of the traffic in the window being C6 strings. The second session began with an "interesting" FJ (40-characters) string followed by C6 strings until 2138z. The 2100-2200z window is often the point of concluding these sessions (with occasional exceptions.)

11175.0 was active UTC 17 Oct 24 at 1931z with HANDBALL (HFGCS; weak/fair) calling and raising DARK KNIGHT (weak/fair; readable; male operator) for a brief signal check and gone. Static call word, heard in the recent past; presumed ground CP.

11175.0 was active 18 Oct 24 at 1440z with ABSTAINER (ok to good levels on various SDRs) calling MAINSAIL; raises for a signal check; and, gone. Yet another callword station not relatable to any visible ASDB airborne asset (assuming they are airborne at all.) The HFGCS operator kept calling him "ABSTRAINER."

The HFGCS had been active at H+00/H+30 since 1500z with DEER SIGN standing by for traffic through 1730z (their apparent concluding point as nothing heard at 1800z). Unlike yesterday UTC, today's HFGCS is very quiet.

The eagle flies for the U.S. government/military on 01 Oct. Sometimes "things obviously change" at that point; often not. October is half over, and an apparent pattern so far holds. As a factoid only, and somewhat unusual (over a long time), this year every prefix for every class of HF EAM traffic changed on 01 Oct 24. (Rhetorically, what is the logistics for that sort of thing? Does it take 1.5 to 2 years to plan?)

And, the series currently represented by the FJ strings, with characteristics similar to the P5 strings and the long, highly structured variable count strings, has suddenly been very active since 02 Oct 24. That series of message traffic was much less noticeable in the past. The FJ strings have characteristics shared with the P5 strings (the home of the "FOR" EAMs) in that the FJ strings are often 30-characters, and have slightly longer variable character counts sessions as well; but, the FJ strings also have character counts less than 30 characters. The FJ strings also share a certain noticeable characteristic with the long variable count strings (currently BV) - they are often obviously highly structured (repeated groups within the string). You don't see those (obvious) structures in C6 and P5 strings. This even though the FJ strings are very much shorter than the BV variable series.

The C6, P5, and BV strings have been logged from E6Bs during their orbiting restoral sessions, with the observation that only TACAMO PAC missions over the Pacific have been reported with the highly structured BV strings; and, those sessions were apparently part of quarterly 7 to 8 hour orbiting missions. When other E6Bs were over the Atlantic and Gulf at the same time they didn't broadcast those BV strings, just their 2-hour window CJ traffic. It's not clear if the FJ series strings have been part of these HF restorals; or, for that matter if the HFGCS use them at the h+00/h+30 restoral window. I've seen no examples of them.

mdmonitor

0945- Some rare weekend activity in W386. Unid flt of 4 (probably F-22s) check in w/Giantkiller (238.1.) At Same time ADS-B showing PA ANG KC-135 (Steel 71) in AR 636. Steel 71 working AR 636 primary (238.9). I'm guessing the F-22s are VA ANG guys.

1005- Couple of flts of DC ANG F-16s (calls missed) off ADW (348.725). A2A is 238.175 & 319.175. Maybe related--hearing acft on ZNY Ship Bottom (307.275) & W107 (255.0)

1030- Some Langley T-38s (4 X Mig) coming out to join the party in W386. Freqs: 238.1/255.65/285.15. Freq 255,65 was id'd as Aux 13.

Last edited:

john8436

0945- Some rare weekend activity in W386. Unid flt of 4 (probably F-22s) check in w/Giantkiller (238.1.) At Same time ADS-B showing PA ANG KC-135 (Steel 71) in AR 636. Steel 71 working AR 636 primary (238.9)

1005- Couple of flts of DC ANG F-16s (calls missed) off ADW (348.725). A2A is 238.175 & 319.175.
I was picking up 5/5 comms on 285.1500, listed as 149th FS A2A. One aircraft had comm problems and had to go to secondary comms.

Clear day and picking up distant comms!! good day for listening!!

Picking up Barns F15's on 326.375 A2A. Must be replacement Nobles.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
HF 11175 sounds like Zimbalist awaiting traffic then goes into long EAM..

Couple more NOBLES 21,22 enroute CAP A/A 326.375 and ZNY 322.400 now some A/A 259.900
and Potomac CAP freq 269.500

Today's Navy game flyover..
3:21:30 pm - National Anthem, followed by a flyover
• Saturday's fly-over will feature 2 F-35B Lightning II's from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 542 out of Cherry Point, N.C. and 2 F/A-18 Foxtrot Super Hornets from Navy Strike Fighter Squadron 32, the Fighting Swordsmen, out of NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, Va. Flying in the lead F-35 will be Maj. Scott "Humpty" Aquino, celebrating his 10-year reunion as a member of the Naval Academy Class of 2014. In the second F-35, flying in the "dash-2" position, will be Capt. Matthew "Low-T" Hundt, Class of 2018. Piloting the F/A-18 in the "Dash 3" position will be Lt. Isabelle "T-PAIN" Babb, Class of 2018, with the Commanding Officer of VFA-32, Cmdr. Jason "IAD…S" Hoch, in the back seat. Finally, in the F/A-18 in the "Dash 4" position will be Lt. Brittany "Hot Wheels" Kramer, Class of 2018 and Lt. Cmdr. Aaron Robinson.

Last edited:

morfis

Related to STRATCOMM GT25 exercise?
14:30 ZIMBALIST - standing by for traffic
14:32 ZIMBALIST For ALPHA FORCE (PJ prefix, message faded and I wasn't monitoring other HFGCS frequencies at the time)