Loops MLA 30+ Looking for Correct Measurement

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I want this loop to look like a loop and not an oval. 65cm from top of dowel gives a oval shape. At 60cm the top of the loop overshoots the top of the dowel. This detail is what I am literally stabbing in the dark trying to find. Someone out there knows the right measurement. Preferably from wingnuts to top of loop.

Dirk_SDR

I want this loop to look like a loop and not an oval. 65cm from top of dowel gives a oval shape. At 60cm the top of the loop overshoots the top of the dowel. This detail is what I am literally stabbing in the dark trying to find. Someone out there knows the right measurement. Preferably from wingnuts to top of loop.
If you measure the length of the loop wire from one 90° angle to the other and add the width of the MLA 30+ case, then you get the loop circumference (c).
Then the diameter d (from top of the MLA 30+ case to top of loop) is: d = c / Pi

Last edited:

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
If you measure the length of the loop wire from one 90° angle to the other and add the width of the MLA 30+ case, then you get the loop circumference (c).
Then the diameter d (from top of the MLA 30+ case to top of loop) is: d = c / Pi
would that result be in inches, feet, centimeters, or meters?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
took 10cm off the measurement. Settled on 65cm top to bottom from box. Secured box and top of loop to the rod. Then measured left and right of the loop at the center. It measured at 65cm. Kind of symmetrical and it works.

Dirk_SDR

took 10cm off the measurement. Settled on 65cm top to bottom from box. Secured box and top of loop to the rod. Then measured left and right of the loop at the center. It measured at 65cm. Kind of symmetrical and it works.
???

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
65cm top of amp box to top of loop. 65cm side to side of the loop half way up the loop. That was the end result. Symmetrical vertical 65cm horizontal 65cm. your formulas then subtract 10 gives the symmetrical measurements.

theleman

What would happen if you used elements larger than specified? Would it resonate and cover lower frequencies? Or would it just overload?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I changed the measurements. I found that placing the amplifier/balun box 70cm from top wall of box to top of loop gives 60cm between both sides of the loop. This provided better nulling effect ableit minor improvement.

What would happen if you used elements larger than specified? Would it resonate and cover lower frequencies? Or would it just overload?
Not sure. Some guy off this website reverse engineered it and said something inside is not the right impedance. Waiting for someone to speak up on using a bigger radial.

I also want to say that the MLA 30+ will have a higher noise floor but it pulls in way more signals than a telescoping whip can receive. This makes me think of the idiom that says, "When the tide is high, so are the ships."

Last edited:

Ubbe

Loops are by design low noise but also low signal and needs to be amplified. The amplifier it uses are not well designed and has a high internal noise and it overloads easily as well as its impedance matching are off. There are modification instructions on the internet to improve the amplifier. As the loop have a 60cm diameter and the radio waves you receive are 10 meters or longer the size are then not matched to the frequency. You can make the loop bigger to receive a higher signal level and the null will probably also be bigger. They selected to use this small size to not be too big for indoor use. My outdoor ALA loop are at least double the size.

/Ubbe

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Actual symmetrical is 65cm from top of pole to screw hole of MLA 30+ amplifier box.