• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Monitoring individual trunked site with APX

Huntercw

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I know about the NAS method being such a hot topic so I'm not going to get into that. I have done ample amounts of reading many threads and have learned a lot so I appreciate everyone's knowledge on this forum. From my research, it seems that while not the most precise but the most absolutely safe way is conventional scanning of the trunked frequency of the site(s). I understand I would hear every talkgroup using that site, but it is not very active for more than a couple of talkgroups. My question is, would I need to put all the voice frequency's and control channel frequency's in or just the voice frequency's, again I am not talking about programming a trunking system in the radio, I am referring to entering frequency's from a multi-site trunked system as a conventional system. Thank you.

Also, if I were to hit the nuisance delete button during a transmission I didn't care about, would it mute that entire talkgroup or just that users UID?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you program the control channel as a conventional channel, the radio is going to hang on that frequency because of the constant carrier. Best not to program it, but of course if the control channel rolls and that frequency becomes a traffic channel, you won't hear anything on it because it's not programmed.

Oh and when you nuisance delete while scanning conventional channels, you're knocking the entire frequency out of the scan list, not a talkgroup as would happen when scanning via the control channel. For the record, there is no way to nuisance delete a single UID no matter what scan method or scan list type you're using, that's not a thing.

Huntercw

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I see, so there's more caveats than just hearing every talkgroup when setting it up this way. So the site has 3 control channels and 4 voice channels, I guess I will just program the voice frequency's and see how that goes, and that makes sense about the nuisance delete, I guess the radio doesn't even realize they are talkgroups anyway when its programmed like that, it just thinks its a conventional frequency. Thank for the info!

N4KVE

One of the towns near me has a small trunking system. For a while I’d just listen to the freq’s conventionally. There wasn’t much activity, & it worked reasonably well. I’d hear the meter reader from time to time, but other than that, it worked. But I wouldn’t attempt that on a large county system as it’d just jump from one conversation to another.

Huntercw

Premium Subscriber
One of the towns near me has a small trunking system. For a while I’d just listen to the freq’s conventionally. There wasn’t much activity, & it worked reasonably well. I’d hear the meter reader from time to time, but other than that, it worked. But I wouldn’t attempt that on a large county system as it’d just jump from one conversation to another.
Did you program the CC freq's? Did you miss transmissions?