Monoc Air 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Just spoke to a person at Ocean Aire down at Miller Air Park. MONOC air 1 is located at that Airport in a hanger. I know Miller closes at dusk to General Aviation airport but have no idea how this affects MONOC operations if at all.

Tony M.
Harrison, NJ

kevin0536

OK, here's the deal with MONOC One: The helicopter moved to Miller on July 6; the TTN location was only intended to be temporary, until a more suitable location was identified. Allaire was originally picked, but the owner of the airport dragged his feet with the lease, and after a month of waiting for him, Miller offered space. Miller also happens to be a Eurocopter service center, which works out nicely. As Chris said, the owner of Allaire Airport was also afraid of noise complaints and had set up strict noise abatement procedures to avoid certain houses in the area...
Communications with medical control can be made in several ways. On the ground, cell phones are used to call the hospital console. Even though they will work in the air, it isn't legal to use cellular phones while in flight. Not because of interference, but because cell phones at altitude apparently tie up multiple cell sites. The helicopter has a sat phone which can be used in the air (in fact, it's tied into the ships comm system & works through the helmet electronics), however so far, the sat reception has been awful, and the Sat phone is rarely used. The third option is to call Control on a radio freq and be patched to the console via phone lines.
I hope that clears up some questions. Feel free to send me any others you may have.

kevin0536

I'm one of the flight medics, and the Clinical Coordinator; if I'm not mistaken, you and I used to work together at CMC...

Last edited:

mredding

Premium Subscriber
"DeathSTAR"

mondaro said:
I love to know too ??

DeathStar ??

Haha, it's a photoshopped old NorthSTAR Ground Support patch. "DeathSTAR" or "GroundSTAR" are common nicknames that originated back in the good ol' days when the bird might have to be reconfigured if the Governor was just flying around in it prior to a medivac, or it might not fly because the sky was too blue. Ask Central Jersey people; they'll tell you.

EDIT: Even if the stories are exaggerated a little. :)

But I digress.

Last edited:

mondaro

Feed Provider
I was recently visiting my friends at North Star at Somerset County Airport I never visited there new operations there. pretty nice I must say, beats Newark. Anyway I get the fly, no fly thing and the weather having to be near perfect like today in Northern NJ.

One crew member tells me that it is in the works that the nearest helicopter may start getting the missions this includes the private ships. For the patient that's great, Example say an MVA in Toms River area, As long as MONOC flight team has there act together and can get off the ground within 5 minutes after receiving the job then this new procedure would really benefit the patient who need the service.

If I find out more about this i'll post it.

Tony

DSYCUTTER

Premium Subscriber
Ok so that explains while the bird is in the air, the dispatcher tells all units to switch to nextels until further notice. Obviously that way MONOC 1 has uninterrupted use of the radio frequency.

mredding

Premium Subscriber
MONOC One was dispatched by radio again today at about 15:30 for a transport from CentraState to Jersey Shore. "Pt has three IVs and is not intubated." I guess that thoroughly answers that question.

scannersnstuff

here's a quick tip:for those that like to monitor monoc one but are not crazy about having to listen to their dispatch frequency.program 467.950 210.7 in.you will be able to hear the aircraft at a pretty good distance.if you want to you could then switch over to the repeater frquency to follow the conversation.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Should I assume now that Monoc Air 1 will handle most of the flights in Monmouth/Ocean County now ? Also, does anyone now if Southstar was moved to Atlantic City Airport yet ?

divcfd

I would not make that assumption. The request for medevac still has to go through N & S STAR before a private ship can take the job. That will probably be resolved in the near future by the State but until then Monoc cannot just take a job, same with Atlantic Air. Monoc 1 has taken scene jobs due to proximity and I have not heard any fall out from that yet but the law is not written that way. We'll see what happens in the future.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Hello Everyone...

While visitng Ocean County this week my wife wanted to visit the Pop Corn Park Zoo in Forked River. Well on the way back I have a friend who is a CFI at Miller Airpark MJX and low and behold there was MONOC 1 sitting there outside it's hanger. What the people for Ocean Aire tell me MONOC will be there for a while they have leased a lot of hanger space a kitchen and 3 offices, They started there lease in July.

Tony M.
Harrison, NJ

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Matt and all,

Totally off topic but what the hell? Bennies go home... in Freehold? What's the big attraction in FREE-HOld? Here in Point we give it a slight twist, Bennies go home but leave your money here. If they don't drop enough gelt on the boardwalk our gendarmarie, tickets in hand makes sure that Judge Collins has a full schedule. If they give us trouble they sleep with the fishes and we make a profit on that too, we put them on display at Jenkinson's Aquarium.

MONOC isn't too busy around here, our local EMS (Extra Money Squeezers) can handle it.

Welcome to the Jersey Shore
U TURN

is my favorite highway sign but I'll let YOU find it. Gotta love your avatar, give my regards to Lord Darth. (PSSSHHH uuuggghhh)

mredding

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
What's the big attraction in FREE-HOld?

I wonder myself. The mall I guess? Probably just shooting down US-9. I guess it's gotten better since the traffic circle came out and the construction's pretty much finished, even though the pattern for cross-traffic is ridiculous.

Sometimes I wonder if there's anything at Battlefield State Park I can crank up and get working ...

BellyTube

Amazing. A friend of my family was transported by the MONOC crew. Funny how we didn't hear them transmit that the breathing tube was not in the right spot and was in his belly. Maybe the employees need to spend more time educating than being on here. See you in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.