• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APCO P25 phase 2 handheld radios

kidcarr51

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what Motorola HT's are capable to recieve Michigans APCO P25 Phase 2 systems? I can't seem to find a definite answer on what models would be able to be programed to monitor all of Michigans P25 phase 2 system? I have a Unication G5 pager which in two months after purchasing from a private owner that it needs to be sent back to Unication to be flashed for $200.00 because it is out of warrantee. I would much rather put the money toward a good HT to monitor the phase 2 system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Only the APX line of radios can receive Phase 2 TDMA systems and they start in the $1K price range in the used market. They also require special cables ($$$) and programming software and require extensive knowledge to program correctly so that they will not affiliate/register on the system you are trying to monitor. No offense but If you have never dealt with actual subscriber programming before I would not invest in an APX radio. Too much risk of you causing interference with actual system users and you stand a good chance of having your radio inhibited/bricked and possibly violating local laws. Stick to Unication pagers or Uniden Scanners and leave the actual subscriber units to those of us who get paid to program/maintain them as a vocation.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
As an owner of several Unication devices why are you having to send it in to be flashed for $200? that makes no sense as they come with phase 2 P25 out of the box.
I have a Unication G5 pager which in two months after purchasing from a private owner that it needs to be sent back to Unication to be flashed for $200.00 because it is out of warrantee.

Very old G5s did not have the P2, but that was corrected with a FW update that the user could do. A message to a dealer would get you answers on how and certainly wouldn't cost $200, might even be free.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
If you have no experience in programing professional radios, I would stick to the 200 upgrade. Much cheaper then getting a radio, software, programing cables, etc. The only Motorola radio that can do P2 is the APX. You are looking at 1200 plus just for the radio. Then you need the software and other "programs" to get a system key to program the trunked system into the radio. Possession of a unauthorized system key is a big deal.

You already have the pager. Pay the 200 for the upgrade.

Asunakiyori

Lurker
Not to rehash whats been said above.. but... the $200 flash is a MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper option. unless you can afford an APX series with a TDMA flashcode and can find the Software.. and the.. ahem.. other things but that be a hassle

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Very old G5s did not have the P2, but that was corrected with a FW update that the user could do. A message to a dealer would get you answers on how and certainly wouldn't cost $200, might even be free.
I bought my G5 in 2017. I think I paid $95 and had to ship it to Texas to get it enabled for phase 2. Worth every penny.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Even if the update is $200, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the many thousands you'll have to spend to get an APX 6000, APX 8000, or the NEXT on a retail single buy purchase order.

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
Beware, Motorola radios transmit short bursts of data without you realizing it, even if you never press the PTT button. You would potentially be transmitting (inadvertently) on public safety frequencies which is a big no-no. There's other hoops you'd have to run through like system keys, software, and the difficult technical knowledge it takes to program the radio. It will not be worth the hassle.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The BK/Relm KNG/KNG-2 are the only 100 percent true RX only P25 radios that don't require system keys or hacked questionable software. Beyond that, a scanner or Unication is better bet for the average hobbyists. No one ever got in legal trouble for programming them, the same cannot be said for unauthorized trunking radios.