• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Quantar Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl13

QRT
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Motorola Quantar Repeater and I found a possible candidate, but I need to make sure it is the correct band and power output I am looking for.

Here are the pictures of it:
Picture 1 - Back of repeater label
Picture 2 - Front of the repeater
Picture 3 - Power Supply
Picture 4 - Exciter on the left; Power amplifier on the right
Picture 5 - Receiver picture 1

Attachments

• Back Sticker.jpg
    Back Sticker.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Power Supply.jpg
    Power Supply.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Power Amp on the right; power Exciter on left.jpg
    Power Amp on the right; power Exciter on left.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 252
  • receiver 3.jpg
    receiver 3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

kjl13

QRT
More pictures:
Picture 1 - Receiver Picture 2
Picture 2 - Receiver Picture 3

Attachments

• receiver .jpg
    receiver .jpg
    33 KB · Views: 206
  • receiver 2.jpg
    receiver 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It would help if we knew what you were looking for. A model number breakdown can be found in the aqua tar service manual. It has a UHF receiver but you have to be careful with the Quantar as it is a fairly simple repeater to Frankenstein and put together with parts from various Quantars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjl13

QRT
I am looking for a UHF R2(440-470) with a 110w output quantar.

It would help if we knew what you were looking for. A model number breakdown can be found in the aqua tar service manual. It has a UHF receiver but you have to be careful with the Quantar as it is a fairly simple repeater to Frankenstein and put together with parts from various Quantars.

Last edited:

kjl13

QRT
Hey, I tried the classifieds on this website to find a qantar because that is what I got recommended to do. Someone offered me one, and I lost contact with him. I am really stuck on the buying process; I have tried eBay and I had no luck. If anyone knows of any dealers, please let me know.

Thanks!

Ubbe

It's probably some unique feature you're needing in a Quantar but I have done maintanance on both conventional and trunked Quantars for more than 20 years and I think they fail too often concidering what their costs are when buying them. It's often the power supply that fails but also control boards and other modules fails way too often.

A more modern basestation like MTR2000, that I had the pleasure to service at least 40 different ones over the years, only had two problems and that was a synthesizer that failed one week after delivery and one power supply failure after 10 years of almost constant data transmit. After the first year of burn in and aligment they never seem to need any more alignment during their life time.

/Ubbe

kjl13

QRT
It's probably some unique feature you're needing in a Quantar but I have done maintanance on both conventional and trunked Quantars for more than 20 years and I think they fail too often concidering what their costs are when buying them. It's often the power supply that fails but also control boards and other modules fails way too often.

A more modern basestation like MTR2000, that I had the pleasure to service at least 40 different ones over the years, only had two problems and that was a synthesizer that failed one week after delivery and one power supply failure after 10 years of almost constant data transmit. After the first year of burn in and aligment they never seem to need any more alignment during their life time.

/Ubbe

Thanks for the feedback, does the MTR series have p25 and cross mode support. And what would a MTR cost me?

Project25_MASTR

/Ubbe

MTR2000 isn’t any newer and both the MTR2000 and MTR3000 had a string of bad power supplies (Motorola had a trade-in deal that ended in October 2018 for the MTR3000 for example). When they fail, they short the circuit on the 110 side (DC is still functional though). Pretty much the only issue I’ve ever had with the MTR3000 (dozens of them for Capacity Plus and Connect Plus trunking) is related to the power supply.

kjl13

QRT
MTR2000 isn’t any newer and both the MTR2000 and MTR3000 had a string of bad power supplies (Motorola had a trade-in deal that ended in October 2018 for the MTR3000 for example). When they fail, they short the circuit on the 110 side (DC is still functional though). Pretty much the only issue I’ve ever had with the MTR3000 (dozens of them for Capacity Plus and Connect Plus trunking) is related to the power supply.

Alright, so I shouldn't go with an MTR? I haven't heard of the power supply issues with the quantars nor the MTRs.

crazyboy

Thanks for the feedback, does the MTR series have p25 and cross mode support. And what would a MTR cost me?

MTR will not do p25. You will need a Quantro, Quantar, GTR or another brand than Motorola.

scrotumola

The problem with the Quantar power supplies lied with the older Onan power supplies. They are easily identifiable by looking at the module itself. The Onans have a huge heat sink in front and the dotted vents take up about 80% of the face of the module. These units are infamous for a catastrophic quasi-explosive failure. If memory serves me correct, there is even video of one captured on video on youtube.

The newer, much more reliable power supplies have a fan visibile through the front plate, whose ventilation dotted vents take up only about 45% of the module face.

I have found the Quantar line to be very reliable and new old stock modules easy to come by. Many public safety entities, however are being driven to newer lines (GTR) by the ever increasing demands on newer technologies and FCC mandates.

Hope this helps

~S~

kjl13

QRT
The power supply with the big vent is a DC power supply, right? I remember reading into that. The one I was looking at had the smaller vent.

Project25_MASTR

The power supply with the big vent is a DC power supply, right? I remember reading into that. The one I was looking at had the smaller vent.

It depends on the power supply Quantars came with AC/DC supplies typically but were also offered in DC 48V versions (isolated from chassis ground for -48V).

kjl13

QRT
Still, no luck finding a Quantar; at this point, a VHF would work too.

If anyone has any places to buy one, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.