• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 Motorola XTS 3000 trunking in simplex?...

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I don't know if this might be a dumb question. I'm new to the XTS platform and don't fully understand the Trunking systems, but is it possible to have a XTS 3000 set up for trunking without a repeater or control point on analog? I would like to communicate with some Baofeng type radios and another XTS on GMRS with still having the TPT and sending MDC 1200 at the end of transmissions. Thanks for any replies.

-Cashanova

nokones

Premium Subscriber
No, you don't need a Trunking personality unless you're communicating on a Government or SMR radio system and especially not for GMRS.

What is TPT?

Anyways, I doubt that you will find any Cheap Chinese Radio with Trunking capabilities and if that was possible, also be compatible with any P25 or EDACS Trunking system.

KD9RTX

TPT = talk permit tone. Basically he wants copsounds (tm).

Also no Baofengs use MDC that I'm aware of.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
OP wants Cop Sounds™. Talk Permit Tone and MDC1200. Yea you can turn on MDC1200 and make your chirps to annoy those without DOS on a repeater or slam the ptt for your own desires off repeater. No trunking TPT on conventional on a 3000. You can setup MDC1200 to make a tone on PTT so you can fufill the fantasy of hearing some type of tone like you're on trunking.

Last edited:

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I always called it "Side Tone" for the PT-T ID/MDC feature or the "Go Ahead Tone". I never thought of calling it by the real name.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Thanks for the help, with my group working in a noiser environments I was hoping there would be a way to have tpt. We are using mdc for those who do have Motorola spec equipment. Those who use Bofengs just miss out on signaling over air. Is there any way to have a roger beep setup on the CTS 3k's?

clbsquared

Thanks for the help, with my group working in a noiser environments I was hoping there would be a way to have tpt. We are using mdc for those who do have Motorola spec equipment. Those who use Bofengs just miss out on signaling over air. Is there any way to have a roger beep setup on the CTS 3k's?
You can set the MDC to Pre or Post.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
MDC, Roger beep, TPT. Jesus, how much noise do you want your radios to make? Why not throw in some FDNY tones while you're at it?
I was just wondering if we had our radios set up for mdc pre message if ew could do a.roger beep at the end instead of MDC twice. We are prone to operating in loud conditions.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Throw away the baofeng radios. Or use them to stop fast moving sledgehammers. And if you don't NEED MDC signalling, ditch it. It serves no purpose other than "Sounding cool" which it does NOT, after about the third time you use it.

Sounds to me like you like to play with radios more than you need reliable functional communications.

If whatever you're doing puts you into a noisy environment, consider earpieces.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Throw away the baofeng radios. Or use them to stop fast moving sledgehammers. And if you don't NEED MDC signalling, ditch it. It serves no purpose other than "Sounding cool" which it does NOT, after about the third time you use it.

Sounds to me like you like to play with radios more than you need reliable functional communications.

If whatever you're doing puts you into a noisy environment, consider earpieces.
Thanks, with what we're doing we use GMRS (GRS for those who aren't licensed) as a back up to phones and for on site coordination.