MRRS System (MTA PD)

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Any further Info for this TG 9258? Not seeing it affiliate with Zone 3 Unless they are using LTE
I’m not entirely sure but I don’t think local agency radios on the MRRS system have LTE.. I’ve seen a bronxville PD xl200P Once and it did not have LTE like MTAPD units

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I’m not entirely sure but I don’t think local agency radios on the MRRS system have LTE.. I’ve seen a bronxville PD xl200P Once and it did not have LTE like MTAPD units
When I was listening to the Port Chester testing, they would do test counts on P25 then LTE. Whether its being utilized or not I don't know. Just know they were testing it.

seagravebuff60

Short Bus Reject
Feed Provider
Sounds like Rye PD or someone in that area is doing testing on TG 9554 today. Zone 3 Westchester. Sounds like Half P25 and half LTE

Last edited:

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I spoke with a colleague who is working on the MRRS on the systems side and said they are generally impressed how carrier LTE supplemented the RF coverage and is seamless to the user.

Supposedly the subscriber radios are also FirstNet ready so I presume that will the tertiary fallback when commercial carrier LTE and RF fails?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Supposedly the subscriber radios are also FirstNet ready so I presume that will the tertiary fallback when commercial carrier LTE and RF fails?
The LTE coverage is using FirstNet already.

FirstNet is essentially commercial carrier LTE with some public safety enhancements, however it runs on the same AT&T channels as their "regular" LTE. Yes, Band 14 was created for FirstNet, however there is a provision in the contract that allows regular AT&T subscribers to use that channel when loading is light and preemption/priority is not required. Also, FirstNet works on other AT&T bands, it's not limited to just Band 14.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I have in my notes Amtrak Fire caught on 8999 in the summer of 2021.

I have in my records Long Island RailRoad Fire Marshals on 9135. Their radio IDs are consistent with what was heard on the Nassau County P25 system but I have rarely caught them on both systems since 2022.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
The rid that answered the check was 4210106

Which tg on NCPD's system? LIRR/MTA has one?

I caught them on Firecom 1 [5051] and Firecom 2 [5052] on the Nassau 800 side. I'm not aware if LIRR/MTA has dedicated talkgroups on the P25 since since the EDACS system retired

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
Soooo I'm in the southern Westchester area and i have an SDS200 uniden scanner, I'm trying to listen to the Metro-25/ MTA MRRS system, i downloaded straight from the RadioRefrence website via Proscan. The talk group specifically under the system I'm trying to listen to is (Port Chester PD DSP) also downloaded straight from the RadioRefrence website via ProScan. The issue is I'm not receiving anything. I've tried low squelch, high squelch, stock antenna, glass mount antenna and even a roof mounted antenna on a building all with no luck. I'm lost trying to program this unit. I downloaded the whole entire MTA system to make sure i wasn't missing any zones or sites and still cant hear anything from anyone even Port Chester PD the only talk group I'm interested in. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what I'm doing wrong

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Soooo I've live in NY, more specifically Westchester NY and i have an SDS200 uniden scanner

For future reference it's always best to post state-specific questions in your state's forum, though please don't post a duplicate thread.

@Whiskey3JMC meant moving forward as now you have 2 threads. I will ask mod to delete the other.

In your duplicate thread, you asked about LTE. While I can't tell you what they use when they tx, I can tell you that when I was listing to the techs doing testing on that tg, they were using LTE and P25 and it sounded very good on my SDS200 here, 30 miles away line of site on Long Island. I am able to receive on Zone 1 Nassau. What sites are you scanning and do you hear any other tg's at all? Do you have Law Dispatch and Law tac service types enabled on your scanner? What is your range set at?

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
@Whiskey3JMC meant moving forward as now you have 2 threads. I will ask mod to delete the other.

In your duplicate thread, you asked about LTE. While I can't tell you what they use when they tx, I can tell you that when I was listing to the techs doing testing on that tg, they were using LTE and P25 and it sounded very good on my SDS200 here, 30 miles away line of site on Long Island. I am able to receive on Zone 1 Nassau. What sites are you scanning and do you hear any other tg's at all? Do you have Law Dispatch and Law tac service types enabled on your scanner? What is your range set at?

My apologies I'm new to posting here i tried to delete my other post, but i uploaded all the zone/ sites under the system and feel like ive tried everything from swapping antennas and squelch adjustments. When scanning certain sites I'm getting bar signal as expected but don't hear any transmissions I'm in the zone 3 area and even tried just that one site with the talk group and same results.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can you hold on just site 3? What is your range set at and are the proper service types enabled? Also, go into the menu, then manage favorites. Then that favorite list. Look for Review Avoids and make sure there are no avoids on that system.

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
Can you hold on just site 3? What is your range set at and are the proper service types enabled? Also, go into the menu, then manage favorites. Then that favorite list. Look for Review Avoids and make sure there are no avoids on that system.

I tried the avoid option and there isn't anything in there and i cant remember off the top of my head what the range and if the service type is enabled i'm going to have to look into that when i get home. I also tried holding the talk group/ zone during a transmission and i don't receive anything but i get a 3-5 bar service level on holding and scan. If everyone else has no issues hearing them has to be a setting issue on my end as all the data and stuff is uploaded from the RR site.

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
Ok so now i can hear the MTA system fine on the zones after deleting and re-downloading the system, my problem now is Port Chester DSP works at my house in the New Rochelle/ Larchmont area fine but in Rye/Port Chester/ Rye Brook area when im driving i get nothing. The Zone 3 area I'm in range is set to 10 miles and the Port Chester DSP talk group range is set to 1.5 miles didn't change them from when i downloaded the system from the RR site. could that be my problem?? my Squelch is set a 2 and i have service types all on after looking into it. not sure what the problem is now.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Port Chester DSP talk group range is set to 1.5 miles didn't change them from when i downloaded the system from the RR site

Port Chester is about 3 miles long so from the center, it would be a 1.5 mile radius. The only way for that to change would be to edit in Sentinel but it most likely would not change anything as your 10 mile range should overlap it.

There are 3 range settings.

Site range which is set to 10 miles and looks to cover all of that area.

Department range is set to 1.5 miles and looks to be inside the 10 mile range of site 3.

Then there's scan range in your scanner. Menu-Set Your Location-Set Range. What do you have that set for?

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
Port Chester is about 3 miles long so from the center, it would be a 1.5 mile radius. The only way for that to change would be to edit in Sentinel but it most likely would not change anything as your 10 mile range should overlap it.

There are 3 range settings.

Site range which is set to 10 miles and looks to cover all of that area.

Department range is set to 1.5 miles and looks to be inside the 10 mile range of site 3.

Then there's scan range in your scanner. Menu-Set Your Location-Set Range. What do you have that set for?
I never set my scan range i guess that is where i can be having the issue.... ill have to try that and see if that works. Thanks much appreciated!!