MRRS System (MTA PD)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As has been stated many, many times...it's all about affiliation. If no subscriber is affiliated with a particular zone, regardless of the proximity to the agency in question, no traffic will be carried. This system makes heavy use of LTE to carry voice traffic, and so if all subscribers happen to be using LTE at any given time, the RF resources are going to be silent.

Oh and PS, you are absolutely not receiving the Corning Tower (which is in Albany) while in White Plains. Some of the frequencies are shared between zones, so you're almost certainly picking up Zone 3.

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
As has been stated many, many times...it's all about affiliation. If no subscriber is affiliated with a particular zone, regardless of the proximity to the agency in question, no traffic will be carried. This system makes heavy use of LTE to carry voice traffic, and so if all subscribers happen to be using LTE at any given time, the RF resources are going to be silent.

Oh and PS, you are absolutely not receiving the Corning Tower (which is in Albany) while in White Plains. Some of the frequencies are shared between zones, so you're almost certainly picking up Zone 3.
If I'm outside the Port Chester area I review them on Zone 3. According to the display it shows Corning Tower

Attachments

• PXL_20241002_203415258.jpg
    PXL_20241002_203415258.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It shows Corning Tower because you're scanning the site while in Westchester, well outside the reception area. Lock out that site, there is absolutely no reason for you to be scanning it unless you're in Albany, and I guarantee the scanner will stop on Zone 3.

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
It shows Corning Tower because you're scanning the site while in Westchester, well outside the reception area. Lock out that site, there is absolutely no reason for you to be scanning it unless you're in Albany, and I guarantee the scanner will stop on Zone 3.
Okay. What about the Metro 25 site should I scan that?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Okay. What about the Metro 25 site should I scan that?
Only scan the sites that you can actually receive. Trying to scan sites that you can't reliably receive is a waste of time. I suggest sticking with Zone 3 only based on your location.

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
Only scan the sites that you can actually receive. Trying to scan sites that you can't reliably receive is a waste of time. I suggest sticking with Zone 3 only based on your location.
Thank you very much for your help and knowledge

seagravebuff60

Short Bus Reject
Feed Provider
Corning Tower in white plains?... Hmm, that's a new one....

In all seriousness, to expand on GTR's point in post #581 above, yes, it is all about affiliations. While I haven't heard that the specific PDs in question use LTE heavily, I assume they may use it sometimes, so of course, you won't hear them; you will only hear them if they affiliate with RF. There have been many issues with others trying to pick up Zone 3 in that area, so you are not alone. Both have been stated here many, many times. So, That poor horse must be decayed at this point. lol

Additionally, Zone 3 and the Corning Tower in Albany share 769.90625, which is Zone 3's active control channel right now. So I bet you were scanning all the sites, and the scanner mistook 769.90625 as Corning when it, in fact, was Zone 3. That's why reading off the scanner, especially when searching, isn't always 100% accurate. The site NAC would be an excellent giveaway to see what site you are actually picking up.

If you just want to listen to PDs in the Port Chester area, I'd agree to stick with zone 3. Having other zones/simulcasts programmed wastes time because the scanner will get busy scanning nothing, so you will miss important transmissions. But if you want to scan all the PDs on MRRS in Westchester (like me lol), I recommend scanning Zones 2 & 3. Some departments only affiliate to one zone, and some affiliate to both.

I hope this helps as well!

Last edited:

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
Corning Tower in white plains?... Hmm, that's a new one....

In all seriousness, to expand on GTR's point in post #581 above, yes, it is all about affiliations. While I haven't heard that the specific PDs in question use LTE heavily, I assume they may use it sometimes, so of course, you won't hear them; you will only hear them if they affiliate with RF. There have been many issues with others trying to pick up Zone 3 in that area, so you are not alone. Both have been stated here many, many times. So, That poor horse must be decayed at this point. lol

Additionally, Zone 3 and the Corning Tower in Albany share 769.90625, which is Zone 3's active control channel right now. So I bet you were scanning all the sites, and the scanner mistook 769.90625 as Corning when it, in fact, was Zone 3. That's why reading off the scanner, especially when searching, isn't always 100% accurate. The site NAC would be an excellent giveaway to see what site you are actually picking up.

If you just want to listen to PDs in the Port Chester area, I'd agree to stick with zone 3. Having other zones/simulcasts programmed wastes time because the scanner will get busy scanning nothing, so you will miss important transmissions. But if you want to scan all the PDs on MRRS in Westchester (like me lol), I recommend scanning Zones 2 & 3. Some departments only affiliate to one zone, and some affiliate to both.

I hope this helps as well!
Very helpful thank you. I do believe Port Chester relies heavily on LTE. We've been told the RF coverage is not that good in the area and they are supposed to be building out a site in Harrison

seagravebuff60

Short Bus Reject
Feed Provider
We've been told the RF coverage is not that good in the area
Ah, okay. I'm assuming that might be a contributing factor to why you can't pick it up. I'm not 100% familiar with the area, but all I know is there aren't monster sites for zone 3 at high elevations. FCC won't be reviling on the site locations because it's a blanket NYS Licence. See post #419 for additional info.

they are supposed to be building out a site in Harrison
Where in Harrison? I also think they are trying to build a subsite at Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck.

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
Ah, okay. I'm assuming that might be a contributing factor to why you can't pick it up. I'm not 100% familiar with the area, but all I know is there aren't monster sites for zone 3 at high elevations. FCC won't be reviling on the site locations because it's a blanket NYS Licence. See post #419 for additional info.

Where in Harrison? I also think they are trying to build a subsite at Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck.
I heard Westchester County Club since the Town of Harrison PD is now on the system.

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
Mamaroneck Town & Village plus Village of Larchmont Police are on a legacy VHF "system"

The County should just build out the current P25 system or find a way to have a County wide system for all agencies.

seagravebuff60

Short Bus Reject
Feed Provider
The County should just build out the current P25 system or find a way to have a County wide system for all agencies.
True. I wish, but DES will likely never let that happen; they are very protective of their system. But that's another rabbit hole discussion for later, lol.

I bet we will see every PD agency in the county go to MRRS at some point before they join A66 and DES will be left to figure out what they did wrong.

joeya7

Premium Subscriber
True. I wish, but DES will likely never let that happen; they are very protective of their system. But that's another rabbit hole discussion for later, lol.

I bet we will see every PD agency in the county go to MRRS at some point before they join A66 and DES will be left to figure out what they did wrong.
Valid point

KC2GSP

Premium Subscriber
I was skeptical about my job joining the system but we did a lot of fair and unbiased testing over the course of a month with a pair of loaner radios that MTA will give to you to use if you're interested in joining.

The takeaway was that the system was often as good or exceeded the abilities of our current system; analog, UHF with *2 microwave receivers (it's supposed to be 3 but the third is down indefinitely due to location issues). The price tag was the major deterrent at roughly $7k per radio. We've been purchasing 7-8 Kenwood NX series radios for the same cost to replace our fleet or aging HT1250's.

The interoperability alone from MRRS and the multiband radios would have been nice. Oh well. I still monitor the system in my office with my G5 while at work