Need a little of advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffbryce1

Premium Subscriber
So I currently have the BCD436HP with the RS800 antenna. I am usually listening while I am at home so I would like to set up something in our 2 1/2 story attic. How far can I pick stuff up? 50 miles? 150 miles? 200 miles? Could I have some suggestions that work well with the 436 in an attic? Id like to run a wire down into my room and have it hook to my scanner when I am home. It might sound crazy but about 120 miles would be great. I hear of people picking up stuff 100 miles away. Sometimes even 150 miles away. All suggestions would be great. I am scanning the 800mhz trunked phase 2 P25 system in Lucas county. Links, prices and ranges would be great.

phask

Premium Subscriber
The only thing you might get in Ohio that is 200 miles is the Space Station - point your yagi UP.

You need to learn some basic radio propagation. It is - more or less - line of sight. Now a 50 foot antenna receiving from a 200 foot antenna might get you 50- even 100 miles, it's unlikely, unless over flat land or water.

So I currently have the BCD436HP with the RS800 antenna. I am usually listening while I am at home so I would like to set up something in our 2 1/2 story attic. How far can I pick stuff up? 50 miles? 150 miles? 200 miles? Could I have some suggestions that work well with the 436 in an attic? Id like to run a wire down into my room and have it hook to my scanner when I am home. It might sound crazy but about 120 miles would be great. I hear of people picking up stuff 100 miles away. Sometimes even 150 miles away. All suggestions would be great. I am scanning the 800mhz trunked phase 2 P25 system in Lucas county. Links, prices and ranges would be great.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Ffbryce1- You've written what you are scanning locally ("...the 800mhz trunked phase 2 P25 system in Lucas county"). What is it (agency, locality, frequency if you know it) that you want to receive at 50, 100, and 150 miles? I assume you'll pretty quickly get beyond Lucas Co. at those ranges (?). If the stuff at 50, 100, and 150 miles you want to receive is on 800 mHz.... well, fuggedaboutit. Not happening, unless you're ready to shell out for a tower and some high-gain yagis... and I mean a tower big enough that your zoning commission and neighbors... and maybe the FAA... are not going to approve. OTOH, if what you want to hear is on the VHF High or Low bands... maybe even UHF.... you stand a chance at hearing some of that at those ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.