Need both sites for Pinellas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webley445

With the recent reprogramming I've done I am trying to enter all freqs instead of just CC's. What I see now is that I can only enter 32 frequencies per trunked system.

what I'm wondering is do I absolutely have to have both Ridgecrest and Toy Town entered to get all traffic covered?

EDIT**
Sitting here making note of the freqs being displayed during traffic. Have seen 16 Ridgecrest freqs but only 3 from Toytown.
Guess it kinda answers my question.

Last edited:

DickH

With the recent reprogramming I've done I am trying to enter all freqs instead of just CC's. What I see now is that I can only enter 32 frequencies per trunked system ...

You don't need ALL the freqs., only the control channels.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
You don't need ALL the freqs., only the control channels.

True, but as we've found out, control channels change. Technically, any of the frequencies can become a control channel.

While those using CC-only went into panic mode, those who entered all the frequencies didn't notice anything. Which is why it's a good idea to put all of the frequencies in and you're good to go unless more frequencies are added to the system.

webley445

Just to clarify, I do understand I can use only CC freqs. That is how I had the scanner programmed for a good long while now.

I'm using a PSR500, so to experiment, I have two setups saved internally, one with just the 2 new CC's, the other with site 1 freqs.

I've been bouncing back and forth between the two set ups this evening and it seems the configuration using all the site 1 freqs is getting the best reception of traffic. With just the CC channels I'm getting long delays and dead air.
So I am going to use the site 1 set up for now because it is working better, for me.

Personally I don't understand how it was working so well with just the CC channels before but not now.

As far as setting up two separate sites for one system in my scanner, not quite sure about doing that. I have a setting for multi-site but it looks like it is meant for use with CC programming. Maybe I'll jump into the GRE section and see if someone there can point the way for me.

Regardless I appreciate all the help and info everyone has contributed.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Personally I don't understand how it was working so well with just the CC channels before but not now.

Because if the control channel changes to a frequency you don't have programmed, it won't work property.

Now that you have all 24 frequencies on site 1 programmed, it doesn't matter what frequency the control changes to because you have all the frequencies in.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think you need to add the Toy Town site. I don't know what agencies operate on that site, but from what I understand it's all simulcasted on the Ridgecrest site anyway.

I only have Ridgecrest and I hear traffic from all the LEO's and FD.

webley445

Well I dont want this turning into an argument about which way is better to program.
You have a very valid point, but the function is there for CC only decoding so its up to the user what they want to use.

I'm wondering if there are more than just the two new CC's? Would that explain my change in reception?

I too am curious if Toytown is a simulcast or not.

Something else I am very curious about. I have been watching my display while monitoring and looking to see what freqs show up. Tonight I was able to track about 15 of the 24. Why don't they all show up?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
No one's getting into an argument. Lots of people had trouble with this CC switch and it's completely avoidable.

Control Channel Only - The RadioReference Wiki
"Note that if the control channel should change, and it isn't in the list, trunking using CCO will fail."

If you want to reprogram your scanner every time the CC changes, then that's up to you. If you want the scanner to follow the system no matter what the CC is, you can program all the site frequencies. Just like the "set it and forget it" commercials.

Again, no argument here. Just stating a factual solution to your problem. How you program your scanner is up to you.

DickH

No one's getting into an argument. Lots of people had trouble with this CC switch and it's completely avoidable.

Control Channel Only - The RadioReference Wiki
"Note that if the control channel should change, and it isn't in the list, trunking using CCO will fail."

If you want to reprogram your scanner every time the CC changes, then that's up to you. If you want the scanner to follow the system no matter what the CC is, you can program all the site frequencies. Just like the "set it and forget it" commercials.

Again, no argument here. Just stating a factual solution to your problem. How you program your scanner is up to you.

You will find the real problem is there is only ONE CC listed for each site. Most Motorola systems use FOUR freqs. for control channels. I suspect that is also true with the Pinellas county system, but the RR database does not list all FOUR.

You already know TWO, now you will just have to wait until they change again.
Better yet, find out from a friend who works on the system.

kayleesdad

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I keep it both ways in the uniden and keep one locked out but check it periodically. With all cc's, sometimes I have to lock out a distant cc from another county that is also one of our voice channels.

St ptersburg city services seem to be on toytown and not ridgecrest, if I recall. Occasionally it seems a st pete event ch will only be on toytown and maybe the sw beach cities (TI and SPB maybe) from time to time. Haven't checked it in awhile though.

Maybe its more like ridge crest simulcasts sppd from toytown, and just about everything else is on ridgecrest and not simulcasted on toytown? Tough to tell.

The xt update eliminated the cc only option awhile ago. The software still has it, though. So checking that option for a xt probably does nothing. Not sure if that option was updated out of the 396T.

Unidens pick up the first active cc pretty quickly(plus another second or so to read it), so it may be easier just to use all cc's amd lock out the occasional bleed over from afar. And then use group keys to divide an area rather than having a system for each city so you don't lose voice coms while the scanner is acquiring and reading the same cc again.

The 106 has the "check all cc" option which takes a lot of time and seems to only be able to handle 2 cc's at most before it cuts into voice time. With that option off (and not in roam mode) the 106 probably acts like an xt and picks up the first active cc.

Tryton

I agree, having ALL the freq's programed is the way to go. When I do get the occasional hit from toytown, it always sounds very weak.. most comms go through Ridgecrest.

usswood

Webley445, I did not know you have a PSR500, sorry if I confused you. Like everyone here said, it best to have all 24 frequencies programmed. 26 if if you read my reply on your other thread.

Thanks

Michael

funny, because all systems are set up with a CC and an Alt CC...why would he need ALL freqs loaded??

usswood

Because they can pick ANY freq in that pool at any time.

Who is "they"...they system Controller (Computer)...if a system is switching CCs all the time, then there is probably something wrong with the way the system is set up! Occasionally the CC might change to the ALT if there is a problem with the controller of Freq interference. But all in all, Type II CCs don't rotate as EDACS and other formats do! So programming all Freqs takes up room to add towers in the area that the OP might drive into if he goes on a Trip...remember the 500 only holds 32 Freqs per system...no way around that!

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
remember the 500 only holds 32 Freqs per system...no way around that!

There are only 24 for the main site. If someone wants to add the other sites they will have to create a new site if their scanner supports multi site trunking. If not, create a new system with the other site frequencies and add the applicable talkgroups. You can't put frequencies from multiple sites in the 1 site/bank.

Buddlite

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, glad I found this thread. Hopefully someone can help me. I have a Radio Shack PRO-164 Triple Trunking scanner that HAD been working fine until recently. Guess this rebanding thing has me since I can not hear anything anymore. I primarily listen to St Pete Police, or at least I did. I had paid a fellow to program it for me a year and more back and it worked fine, he put in talk groups and everything and it was great. Now I have nothing. I am not technical at all, am really hoping someone here in the Tampa Bay area can help out a 60 year old lady here and get it fixed for me. I am more than happy to pay you, will drive someplace and also buy you lunch. Just don't charge me an arm and a leg.:). Please any help Thank you

kayleesdad

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Maybe we should try to keep the known cc's and acc's listed in the database for those who download from rr. If we just post the current cc, someone is bound to become confused when they choose to download only control channels.

For example, ridgecrest switched back to its original post-reband cc this morning.

Also, I have yet to see the control channels go beyond what unitrunker lists as control channels with 0 voice coms. However, a fourth acc for toytown is being marginally used as a voice channel today.

We can add more to the list if more appear, but I doubt we'll see more than 3 or 4 for each site.

Klentathu

Premium Subscriber
The entire Pinellas system is located at the Ridgecrest site which is the Sunstar building on Walsingham road. I am the feed provider for Pinellas Law Enforcement and I only monitor the ridgecrest site. The toytown site was the original location for St Petersburg agencies and it had to be monitored seperately, but in June of this year, the Ridgecrest site began simulcasting the St. Pete traffic...most likely so the S.O. units could scan the channels....S.O. units always had the ability to communicate with SPPD, but it took their radios out of scan mode to do so.

kayleesdad

for ridgecrest unitrunker shows:

for toytown unitrunker shows:

Status
Not open for further replies.