Need HELP Using UASD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2ns

Poeple here on the forum tell me that the Uniden software is so much better than FreeScan, so I just downloaded the Uniden software for my BCD396T. I looked through EVERY window, tab, etc., but for the life of me, I cannot find any screen to enter systems, groups, and channels. WHERE IS IT ???

I uploaded my current configuration from my scanner, and I see the 4 systems that I programmed in manually yesterday (what a chore naming them--twisting the knob for every letter in the name), but I DO NOT see any groups or individual channels anywhere. WHERE ARE THEY ??? The HELP associated with the UASD software is USELESS !!!

FREESCAN is so much easier to configure--NOTHING IS HIDDEN.

RON

Last edited:

Airdorn

See on the main menu where it says 'System Editor'? Select that.

The system editor window opens up. Select the system you want to edit. A 'System', as defined by Uniden with these scanners, is any arbitrary collection of frequencies that generally make up a common radio system you want to scan. You can create a 'System' with just 1 or 2 conventional frequencies, or a System that is made up of dozens of frequencies in a trunked radio system and hundreds of talkgroups.

Your local police department's trunked radio system might be a system, with all their talkgroups organized neatly for alpha display on your scanner. Or your state might have an entire radio system used by all the county sheriffs, local police, EMS, fire, etc. and all that might be organized as a single huge system. Or, you might just have created a new System of conventional frequencies for maybe local police/fire/EMS/public works departments.

So anyway...

When you select the System editor from the main UASD menu, the system editor menu comes up, and you'll see a list of current Systems stored on your computer. Select one of them, and the editor for that particular system comes up.

If the system you selected to edit is a conventional one, then under Group Settings, you will see the alpha descriptors and the frequencies.

If the system you selected to edit is an LTR trunked system, then the frequencies for that radio system are on the first edit page. If it is a Motorola system, then look under 'Site settings' for the place to enter frequencies and other characteristics of that particular system. It really DOES make good sense for all this.

Once you get all your radio systems created and edited to your liking, you still need to put the information on your scanner from your computer. Select Configuration Editor from the main menu. Select the relevant configuration file. When the editor comes up, select the Systems tab.

The window on the left represents the Systems to be stored on your Scanner. The window on the right represents all the systems in your computer's database. Move systems from right to left as needed.

Now choose 'Write to Scanner', make sure your serial connection works, and you'll be presented with a window for writing the new Systems to your scanner.

Your list of Systems in your computer database should be closely guarded. Mine is well manicured and I water it daily. I'm always tweaking frequencies, talk groups, alpha descriptors, etc.

Just remember that the 'BANK' paradigm isn't really relevant with your 396. Like a computer, there's a central pool of memory and you're free to use it up as your see fit. But I guess a "System" is roughly equivalent to a 'BANK' on older scanners, except that a System can be just about any size, and it is further organized into groups and channels.

I hope that helps.

k2ns

See on the main menu where it says 'System Editor'? Select that.

Thanks for the info, but I DO NOT have a main menu. I want to get a screen shot, but the only format I can get it in is .clp for the windows clipboard, and I cannot convert it to a jpg to display it here.

RON

Airdorn

Get it on screen.

Push Print Screen key.

Open MS Paint..

Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint

Select Edit > Paste

Your screenshot will paste into the program.

Save it as a jpg.

Anyways, maybe you need to enter the reg code from uniden.com -- its free if you bought a 396/996.

k2ns

Picture of my screen

OK, here is a picture of what I get when I open up the UASD software for my 396. I already entered the 8 digit key that they E-mailed me.

RON

Attachments

• uasd.jpg
    uasd.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 307

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
After you hit "SAVE" then click the DATABASE tab and your systems are there.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Ron, now you see why I don't like UASD! :D

Switch to BC Tool. It's free, and there is a Yahoogroup for support from the developer, and it's excellent. The program and the support, that is.

Here: http://www.bctool.org/

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Click on the DATABASE tab and you will see the systems. Then follow the info given above. Also, review the HELP file with the software. It includes both detailed instructions and an overview of how the software works.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
IIA, please post all questions regarding software (like the UASD) in the software forum.

Thanx for your future cooperation 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.