Need information

Rescue541

I monitor slc primarily, but interested in davis county and sl county. With all that is happening what kind of portable scanner should I get? TY

KD7DDC

I have enjoyed my BCD436HP
I would second that. It's been a great radio. it also is easy to program once you get the hang of it. The other option is the SDS100, which is mostly similar but has a fancy color display. Though I have heard it has some issues with simulcast.

N7YUO

Imagine having a 20 year old analog cellphone today.
Well that's the analogy of the state 800 MHz system that we currently monitor.
Motorola no longer supports it, so getting parts and maintenance is nearly impossible.
It's been said that sometime this year, they will be switching to a new 700 MHz, P25 phase 2 system.
So, before you buy a scanner that will soon become obsolete, you should consider a P25 phase 2 model.
So, without getting too technical, P25 is digital, and phase 2 is 2 channels on each frequency.
Here is a link to Scanner Master and they have several models to choose from.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Scanner Master or any products they sell.
This one site will give you information on all of the various models available.

Reactions: wtp

DanLP456

Premium Subscriber
I monitor slc primarily, but interested in davis county and sl county. With all that is happening what kind of portable scanner should I get? TY
I enjoy the simplicity of my HomePatrol-2. I bought the Arc Patrol software to program my own lists.

DanLP456

Premium Subscriber
Imagine having a 20 year old analog cellphone today.
Well that's the analogy of the state 800 MHz system that we currently monitor.
Motorola no longer supports it, so getting parts and maintenance is nearly impossible.
It's been said that sometime this year, they will be switching to a new 700 MHz, P25 phase 2 system.
So, before you buy a scanner that will soon become obsolete, you should consider a P25 phase 2 model.
So, without getting too technical, P25 is digital, and phase 2 is 2 channels on each frequency.
Here is a link to Scanner Master and they have several models to choose from.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Scanner Master or any products they sell.
This one site will give you information on all of the various models available.
I’m curious what antenna would be best for 700 mhz listening. I’m currently using an 800 mhz antenna, and I wonder if that would be fine for the new system.

N7YUO

When I travel to Lava Hot Springs, ID, I receive the 700 MHz ICAWIN
Public Safety TRS on my WS1040 with the Rubber Duck antenna.
P25 Phase 1

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I got a 700-800 mhz (maybe even 900mhz) yagi on my roof with rotator thanks to Chris hansen, mine works great for that range. It should be fine if its just 800mhz, it may cover 700mhz and 900mhz just as well as the 800mhz

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
If you plan on listening to the new UCAN P25 system you will need a SDS100. BCD436, BCD536, Home Patrol 2 will not receive simulcast systems, such as the Davis Simulcast site on the new UCAN P25 system. Plan ahead, there will be simulcast systems in the future where there are none at the moment.

DanLP456

Premium Subscriber
If you plan on listening to the new UCAN P25 system you will need a SDS100. BCD436, BCD536, Home Patrol 2 will not receive simulcast systems, such as the Davis Simulcast site on the new UCAN P25 system. Plan ahead, there will be simulcast systems in the future where there are none at the moment.
Uh oh this is news to me! What about HP2 makes it unable to receive simulcast systems on the new system? Right now I listen to the Wasatch simulcast no problem.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Uh oh this is news to me! What about HP2 makes it unable to receive simulcast systems on the new system? Right now I listen to the Wasatch simulcast no problem.
When it comes to listening to simulcast systems your mileage will vary and it really does depend on location. My TRX-1 and WS1080 picks up our county simulcast P25 system (and the now defunct Motorola Type II system) great at home, but a half a mile or so away it is very difficult to pick it up.

Just because you do or do not receive a system doesn't mean the next person will have the same luck, or lack of luck.

KD7DDC

When it comes to listening to simulcast systems your mileage will vary and it really does depend on location. My TRX-1 and WS1080 picks up our county simulcast P25 system (and the now defunct Motorola Type II system) great at home, but a half a mile or so away it is very difficult to pick it up.

Just because you do or do not receive a system doesn't mean the next person will have the same luck, or lack of luck.
I agree with this. I have heard lots of issues with simulcast on the SD200. That said, it seems at least the current way the system is setup in the Wasatch Front hasn't been an issue for most users here. as to when the P25 comes online, that may change.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I agree with this. I have heard lots of issues with simulcast on the SD200. That said, it seems at least the current way the system is setup in the Wasatch Front hasn't been an issue for most users here. as to when the P25 comes online, that may change.
Also keep in mind as well , currently the 700 mhz control channel sites that are online are broadcasting phase 1 p25, when they become online more and set them up for traffic it more than likely will change to p25 phase 2, which may or may not change things.. as of right now there isn't even neighbor sites listing coming from the control channel, so they are just online stand alone sites atm...