Need PRO help

Status
Not open for further replies.

YumaJoker11

Greetings from Yuma, AZ!!

Thank you for reading my post. I will be as short and sweet as possible.

My company sponsors a HAM Radio club. I want to get into it. My ONE question is....

Has anyone been able to listen to YUMA POLICE DEPT. Radio traffic??
I believe it is P25. I know it is trunked and I know it is digital. I do not know if it is encrypted beyond listening for the average user.

Whether or not I can listen to the PD, is going to make or break my radio purchase. The price is not my issue.

Thanks!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

My company sponsors a HAM Radio club. I want to get into it. My ONE question is....

I believe it is P25. I know it is trunked and I know it is digital. I do not know if it is encrypted beyond listening for the average user.

Whether or not I can listen to the PD, is going to make or break my radio purchase. The price is not my issue.

Thanks!

Welcome.

It appears that Yuma is on the Yuma Regional Communication System. Make sure you have that system enabled on your radio.

If you want, I can move this thread to the Arizona forum and some who are a little more local to you may be able to help.

YumaJoker11

Yes please move

Thanks,
I did not know where to post it as a noob.

I don't yet have a radio. I am looking to get one.

Radio Shack doesn't keep these in stock where I live, so it would be a special order. I don't want to order it and then find out I can't use it at all for what I want.

Phoenix805

Thanks!

I don't know much about the Yuma system first hand, but it appears that Yuma PD is encrypted per Yuma Regional Communications System, (YRCS) Trunking System, Yuma, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies If that's the case, no scanner will be able to decode it to where you can hear it.Hopefully someone in the know can confirm this (or tell me I'm wrong).

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully someone from Yuma will chime in, but I also recall reading the Yuma PD is encrypted. I seem to remember mentions in the past of dispatch being in the clear, and mobiles encrypted. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

YumaJoker11

Is there another way?

I used to run an emulator to decrypt a well known satellite tv system. It consisted of tapping into the TV receiver, running to a PC that decoded and then wired back to the receiver. Free tv.

That was many moons ago.

But is there something similar to that for encrypted radio?

Not trying to break any laws. Just trying to find out stuff as a potential radio owner/user.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
First off, even if you were to break the encryption, it is not legal to monitor any encrypted radio traffic.

If they use DES type encryption it would be technically possible to crack the encryption key as this is a deprecated encryption technology. It is not likely that many agencies still use DES and they likely don't use it on the YRCS as it is a fairly new radio system.

They are likely using AES encryption, and there are no known methods for cracking this encryption mechanism.

YumaJoker11

Cellphone,
Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I appreciate the feedback.

Well, if there is no way to listen to the local PD chit chat, I cant justify spending that kind of money.

I suspect someone must be doing it. If satellite tv was hacked.....

But like I said, I am not looking to do anything to jeopardize my job or my family. So it is best I let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.