Icom: New D-STAR handheld: Icom ID-52A/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
HRO responded to my email stating it will be in store around christmas. Asked them to verify frequencies for mil air band still in tact. No response yet.

N4DJC

HRO responded to my email stating it will be in store around christmas. Asked them to verify frequencies for mil air band still in tact. No response yet.

Based on the original type acceptance from the FCC in December of last year, the frequencies are the same as listed in the manual.

kb9mwr

Lets hope they don't neuter the USA version. The asterisk on the specification for guaranteed frequencies has me wondering. If Icom would have included mil air in the IC 705, would not have sold it. Icom told me thats because of fcc certification requirement. If they neuter this radio, won't be buying it.

As far as I am concerned this day in age without open firmware its effectively neutered. It will never do anything more than the day you bought it. While pretty much Every other consumer electronics item IS updateable to some extent. Ham radio has a heck of a lot of talented software coders as evident by the 1000's of projects on github.. Its a shame, no change that to stupid, that we cannot have hardware to be able load applications on, rather than the antique approach of shelling out hundreds of dollars for a new piece of hardware.

dmaria

I have held off buying any new radios since the announcement of the ID-52A (August 2020). I, for one, am HAPPY AS HELL that it is finally going to be released. I have been on the waiting list with Gigaparts since the announcement last year. I hope they don't disappoint me.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I will wait for real world reports on this radio before spending the bucks on it. If it operates as advertised, I will get one.

dmaria

Received an email from Gigaparts stating that Icom told them the ID-52A would arrive in December and it was now time to pay up. MTC is also quoting the same price - $649.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Wow. I'll stick with my ID51. If I really want to play other stuff I'll use my 4100 or my 705. A little rich for my blood, especially with inflation

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
There are a few YouTube reviews on the ID-52.. One thing I found impressive is that it has a full color waterfall spectrum display.. I think that's a first for a hand held.

Not enough to get me to upgrade my ID-51 :)

Hit_Factor

I will wait for real world reports on this radio before spending the bucks on it. If it operates as advertised, I will get one.
When has Icom let you down?

It seems unusual that you are basing the purchase of this HT on how it performs on air band. Whereas the primary market is 2m, 70cm, and FM transceiver.

Maybe I missed something in your comments.

I'll call HRO and turn my reservation into an order. Heck, I already paid 2% a couple years ago ( so it seems).

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Hit factor, I am basing on on air bands. Not a ham but maybe one day I’ll get of my arse and study. I know it’s made for 2 meter, 70 cm and fm. Could be a good emergency radio plus the air band being a bonus. Already have a R30 that my be as good or better on air band but will wait for folks to post there opinions. One draw back on the R30 is the small screen. Otherwise it’s a sweet handheld receiver. Didn’t know it had a waterfall spectrum display. Have watched some you tube videos on this radio and don’t recall seeing that. Will have to look some more.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
There are a few YouTube reviews on the ID-52.. One thing I found impressive is that it has a full color waterfall spectrum display.. I think that's a first for a hand held.

Not enough to get me to upgrade my ID-51 :)
I tried looking for videos that show the waterfall spectrum display but no luck. If you come across it again, can you post a link?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Dam, now I want one. With rumors of icom discontinuing the R30, would be nice if icom made a R30 version with this big screen and water fall display.

N4DJC

Thanks. Dam, now I want one. With rumors of icom discontinuing the R30, would be nice if icom made a R30 version with this big screen and water fall display.

That would be great, hopefully sometime in the future.

N4DJC

The drop in charger is the same as for the 51? I seeing some conflicting information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.