Icom: New D-STAR handheld: Icom ID-52A/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

The drop in charger is the same as for the 51? I seeing some conflicting information.
The ID-51Plus2 came with BC202, IC-705 came with BC202IP2. The ID-52 will come with the BC202IP2 - it's just faster and compatible with the optional large battery for the IC-705/ID-52. I don't know if the BC202 can handle the largest battery.

Hit_Factor

Will wait for someone to get one in hand and verify the RX coverage before purchasing one.
Playing around with CS-52 today and noticed there isn't Broadcast AM band like the CS-51 (ID-51Plus2) has.

BTW, I'll bet you the coverage is exactly what the specs say it is. What do you want to put on this?

N4DJC

The ID-51Plus2 came with BC202, IC-705 came with BC202IP2. The ID-52 will come with the BC202IP2 - it's just faster and compatible with the optional large battery for the IC-705/ID-52. I don't know if the BC202 can handle the largest battery.

The BC202IP2 is correct and comes with the correct wall wart. I don't think it's included.

N4DJC

Looking at the brochure it comes with the BC-167SA wall charger.

You are right, desktop charger and appropriate wall wart is an option.

The brochure on the Icom America site oddly shows the BC-202IP3. The Japanese site shows both as being correct. The BC-167SA is .5 amps. The BC-123SA that is supplied with the BC-202IP2 is 1.0 amps.

Hit_Factor

The brochure on the Icom America site oddly shows the BC-202IP3. The Japanese site shows both as being correct. The BC-167SA is .5 amps. The BC-123SA that is supplied with the BC-202IP2 is 1.0 amps.
I just downloaded the brochure again (icom America and Japan), I can't find BC-202IP3 in either file.

The BC202IP3 allows daisy chains of this model charger. BC-226 WALL WART outputs 4A at 15 vdc. The plug is 5.5 mm. I'm not in the market for this charger. I suspect it's intended for other product line HTs used by organizations instead of hams.

N4DJC

@Hit_Factor I was wrong, it is the only charger listed on the options tab, not the brochure. I better grab a BC-202IP2 before the onslaught :)

Hit_Factor

@Hit_Factor I was wrong, it is the only charger listed on the options tab, not the brochure. I better grab a BC-202IP2 before the onslaught :)
I have one already, not sure how it got in my shack. At one point I had several ID-51s (just one now) and a IC-705. So I have plenty of 'need' for it. I consider the drop in charger to be a must have option. Less likely to damage the HT using a drop in.

I found a ID-52 basic manual pdf today. Might be an early draft, as it contains a few grammatical errors.

ve2ihs

How does it fares against the TH-D74? Looks less capable, maybe the glonass satellites option but can't tell, and noradays I aint much grazing on ex soviet pastures. I'm not even sure the D74 acquires glonass. (it's just a little detail)

Hit_Factor

The obvious difference is 1.2m and APRS is not possible on the ID-52. But the ID-52 dual band, memory functions and scanning are leaps ahead of Kenwood.

Kenwood is end of life and quite frankly difficult to operate.

ID-52 is just getting started.

@ve2ihs what exactly does less capable mean?

N4DJC

The D74A has wider coverage RX wise, plus SSB. I've never used mine for WX satellites, so can't comment on how it would work. It does have a built in TNC. Regardless of it's age, nothing else on the market has all the 74's features in a handheld. I'm keeping mine, I know the menu very well and need an APRS handheld for satellites. The APRS implantation is excellent.

The 52 is just a beast, I don't consider it as competition to the D74A. So far, from what I"ve seen online, what is does it does very well.

KC3ECJ

I just don't see that as a huge benefit. Hooking up an HT to a giant HF antenna is a bit of a stretch.

Icom has several receivers for wide coverage and multiple modes.
I got an icom handheld that just does AM and FM receive wise. Using a RadioShack loaded scanner antenna and a shoulder mic as a counterpoise I was picking up 40 metres alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.