New Legacy Scanner Upgrade Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Whistler upgrades for RS/GRE scanners

I talked to the Whistler people at Dayton (aka Xenia). They said this has been in the works for quite a while. If I understood correctly, the upgrade will also make the scanner eligible for service by Whistler for future possible problems.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Hi Wendy,

If I understand correctly, with a PRO 668, after sending it in for the upgrade, I would no longer use the RS software and use the Whistler EZ Scan from that point forward ?

It wasn't too clear on how we go about programming it from that point on.

Thanks,

R

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hi Wendy,

If I understand correctly, with a PRO 668, after sending it in for the upgrade, I would no longer use the RS software and use the Whistler EZ Scan from that point forward ?

It wasn't too clear on how we go about programming it from that point on.

Thanks,

R

That is correct and Wendy confirmed as much on the first page of the thread. We would use EZ-Scan once the upgrade is done and no longer use I-Scan. In post #5 she said "Yes" in response to the question in post #2, which she clarified in posts #17 & 18. So you understand it correctly.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
That is correct and Wendy confirmed as much on the first page of the thread. We would use EZ-Scan once the upgrade is done and no longer use I-Scan. In post #5 she said "Yes" in response to the question in post #2, which she clarified in posts #17 & 18. So you understand it correctly.

Thanks

minasha

Hope Wendy can answer this simple question:
After doing the upgrade will my pro-668 be able to do future firmware upgrades written for the ws 1080?

CanesFan95

Will the upgrade provide proper rest channel following / control channel trunktracking? Or will the scanner be only conventionally scanning through DMR trunking frequencies hoping to follow talk groups?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
With the exception of recording in very limited circumstances, I've found my PSR800 close to useless. Thanks to Whistler for improving and evolving this platform into what they've done with the 1088 & TRX-1. I'm very open to any offers they make to actually improve the existing 800's.

Thanks, Whistler!

73/Allen (N4JRI)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hope Wendy can answer this simple question:
After doing the upgrade will my pro-668 be able to do future firmware upgrades written for the ws 1080?

Obviously Wendy can respond for herself, but my understanding is since we would be using EZ-Scan to run updates rather than I-Scan, that we would indeed be pulling down future updates designed for the WS-1080 platform. I can't imagine they would write separate updates for the Pro-18, Pro-668 and Pro-800 after doing the upgrade in their shop. It would be so much simpler to convert them to the WS-1080 platform to accept future updates just the same as a native WS-1080. Simply put - one model, one update.

Last edited:

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
Legacy Upgrade - EZScan update?

I currently use the EZScan for my PSR800. Once my hardware is upgraded, will I continue to use the existing EZScan for PSR800 software or will that also be upgraded to communicate with the upgraded hardware?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Why do people ask the same question that has already been answered. Basically they are turning your PSR-800 into a WS-1080. You will use the EZ-Scan version for the WS-1080 after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanesFan95

If they're turning into a WS-1080, then hopefully it won't freeze the audio on my PSR-800 like my last attempt did.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Quick question on the PRO 668 upgrade program. I have three brand new PRO 668's, not a mark on them.
Would I receive the same units back that I sent in? I do not want to send in my new units and get another owners units in return? Also would it be wise to send in all three units at once or send in one at a time? Thanks.
This is a great program to keep customers and win over more.

milcom_chaser

Quick question on the PRO 668 upgrade program. I have three brand new PRO 668's, not a mark on them.
Would I receive the same units back that I sent in? I do not want to send in my new units and get another owners units in return? Also would it be wise to send in all three units at once or send in one at a time? Thanks.

That's a phone call to Whistler kind of question

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber

Not to worry! Every unit sent in will be accompanied by a form you will fill out with your information including the Serial number from your unit. This form will be provided to you when you purchase the update.
You will receive your unit back.

milcom_chaser

Not to worry! Every unit sent in will be accompanied by a form you will fill out with your information including the Serial number from your unit. This form will be provided to you when you purchase the update.

You will receive your unit back.

Wendy, could you inquire about purchasing a 1088 front assembly, so we can upgrade our 1080's to the keypad version (1088). Can do the upgrade myself, or have Whistler do it in-house.

Thank you :)

allend

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if there will be any upgrades for the WS-1065?

The radio sure is a great scanner radio with excellent P25 decode.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
I have a similar question, since I will be sending PRO 668s for the up grade any chance the front panel could be replaced to the key pad version (WS1088)?

Status
Not open for further replies.