New Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

R-32

I kinda sit back and watch what goes down on the board, dont post much.

I have been a 9-1-1 Fire/Aid dispatcher for going on 10 years now. I did the Vol FF/EMT thing with Monroe Dist 3 for 12 years. I gave the FF thing up last year due to work being a killer on time/family the last 2 years. ( Really poor management, let us fall to staffing levels that were danger low). I will be going to a different department at the end of the summer. Also did the Search & Rescue thing for 10 years, along with being a Medic in the National Guard for 8 years.

Now I am enjoying my free time for the first time since I was 16. :)

I run a Pro-2042 for my Mil-air, a Pro-90, and Pro-2050 for the Snohomish County TRS.

For my Amateur Radio needs, I run a Yaesu FT-8800, FT857D, VX-6R,and a couple of older Alinco, and Radio Shack HT's.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Well folks lets keep this going and welcome to some of the newer people here, I myself can not believe after all the years in the radio thing that I am still just as hooked as I was when I was a young Man, darn my Dad for getting into this and a big thanks to Him for getting me involved in this great hobby.

wildwillboo

Born : Westerly RI, Curently Reside @ (Gods Countr
Roll Call

WILDWILLBOO.
(Bob) Puyallup Wa. Down the road from PCFD Station 94. I remember as a kid about twelve years old my best bud's father was a Police officer for the Groton Town Police Dept in CT. This was about 1974 and he had his scanner on top of the fridge. I remember watching the red led lights and he would look at me and laugh. He was a differnt breed.
I became interested in scanning because well lets face it your all busy buddies I just like to know whats going on in the area. and now that Im getting older I'm bored.
But I do enjoy it and it does take a little smarts to figure out who's talking to who on what towers.
My prayers to the family and friends of Chief Packer.
It is good to know that people as such, live in Pierce County . If ever there was a emergency ,it is a sure thing that public servents will be there for all. Job well done.

K7SCH

Scanning in the Claw

Howdy All – Kelvin here, I reside in Enumclaw and listen to Enumclaw PD, Enumclaw FD, most of the shared frequencies, Buckley PD, Buckley FD, and local WSP. My father is a full time fire fighter in Enumclaw and has been since 1990, so I have listened to his radio when he was here, and then he got us a base Plectron so we could listen to him when he was at work. So I have been listening to fire radio for many many years. About a year and a half ago, I did a ride along and was fascinated with public safety radio communications and knew that I had to start listening. Therefore, after that I bought a Pro-97, and figured out how to program it correctly, all thanks to RR. Since then over about a year I just found myself buying radios, I have two Pro-97s, two Pro-90s, one pro-2055, and one pro-2040. I have one of the pro-90s in my car and the pro-2055 in my car as well. I walk around with one of the pro-97s all the time and the rest stay in the room. Beware I had another Pro-97 but it was stolen when we were in the parking lot at Sports Authority in Auburn at the Supermall, along with a Motorola EFD pager. I have been interested in getting into ham, but I don’t know what to get and what to do, I guess there is a test but I will be doing more research, any recommendations for ham radios, and does anyone know if there is any volunteer emergency response teams out in this area?

rodentkj

Feed Provider
Sno Co.

Well lets see....

I started playing around with scanners before I was a teenager. My dad bought a crystal scanner from the PX that use to be in Paine Field. I use to run up there to by new crystals for the different freqs I would want to listen to.

Around 16 I purchased a programable scanner from some magazine that came in the mail. I think it was a Uniden. I remember having to pay monthly for it using a coupon book they sent me. :eek:

Around 20 I joined up as a FF for Silver Lake District 11 where I was there for about 5 years. I was on the resident program so I worked a few 12 or 24 hour shifts a week. Sometime during that time frame I purchased a couple more Radio Shack scanners. One was a base and the other was a hand held. I still have the hand held and use it every year when I go to Seafair so I can listen in on the Blue Angels. I sold the base scanner years ago on Ebay. I remember paying something like 500 bucks for it from RS.

Now I'm a FF with King Co 47. I have two Uniden BC246T and one BCT15 which is installed in my car. One of the BC246T is used to host my Live scanner feed on the Incident Broadcast Network and the other I just carry around for when I'm in the fire district. And when in "stealth" mode I bring up my feed on my PPC phone and listen to it via my bluetooth headset.

j86u

I live in North Central Wa and have a Radio Shack Pro 162. I really enjoy scanning and only wish there was more action where I live.

dsviper22

Hello, My name is Chris and i'm in Silverdale,WA

I have a Radio Shack Pro-96, Pro-2054 and a Unident BR330T.
I listen to a lot of local PD and FD traffic and whatever unencrypted voice traffic I can get over the Bangor Trunk system.

SCPD

QRT
Nick
n7zya

Been into radio since the mid-to-late 80s. My grandmother had this old (realistic?) combo boom-box. It received VHF, UHF, AM/FM, and AIR. I was shocked that she let me have it. I listened to it for hours on end.

Side note: Ha, i just found one on E-Bay. It's a Patrolman-6 model. (I still have mine too!)

Radio Shack had a sale on the Pro-34 and I begged my parents for it for my birthday. I ended up getting it a good month early and was in scanner heaven. It was *really* fun having a single scanner that could do it all.

In the early 90s, I got my HAM license. Tech class. I'm now working up to my General ticket.

Radios:

Pro 34, Pro-90, BC396T, Pro-2006, AOR900
Drake R8, Icom R75 and an Icom IC-7000.
Alinco DJ580T, Yaesu VX-1 and Yaesu VX-170 handheld.

I just recently put a Uniden BCT-15 and Icom V8000 in the vehicle for my mobile setup.

jrw14493

Hey everyone! My name is Joey and I too, Like Mike, (not the movie) am located in Yakima, WA. I volunteer here for West Valley Fire-Rescue and love it. For a career, I'm not sure, but I'm only 19 so some would say I have a little time before I need to decide on a career.

I own a few radios...here it goes.

My dad was a deputy with the Yakima County Sheriff's Office until his death in 2004. As a kid, I always went over to my grandparents house and my grandma had scanners all over the place listening mostly to the Sheriff's office. I eventually got interested and received a PRO-79 for Christmas in 2000. Since then, I've evolved into a PRO-95 and most lately a PRO-97.

For the fire department, I own a Kenwood TK-2180 and TK-2170 both with full DTMF keypads. I really like the 2180. The receiver in it at times has outperformed the /\/\ HT-1250's that guys on the dept. use. Wish I could say the same for the 2170. It's really light to carry around and it still puts out 5 watts, but the receiver for some reason is really crappy. I have to hold the radio sometimes up in the air to receive something and leaving it on your belt and trying to receive anything is a joke. Hopefully that problem will be resolved soon. I also carry a Dept. issued Motorola Minitor 5. What a brick piece of crap. I'm glad that we finally got it stop going off at 3 o'clock in the morning for no reason.

I work for a family fun center here in Yakima where we have a Bumper Boat pond, Go-kart track, batting cages, 18-hole miniature golf course and a 65-game video arcade. To coordinate everything, we use /\/\ SP10's single channel, single watt radios. I of course got on eBay and paid $40 for my own because I wanted to.

The other day I made a website with lights/radio pics. Link: http://www.jrw14493.xtreemhost.com. It's not much but the radio page has Yakima scanner frequencies on it.

Other than that I really enjoy the hobby. Getting my ham license is in my future, sometime. I really enjoyed the the Intercept Northwest meeting we had earlier this month in Kent. I really also enjoyed coming home and telling my girlfriend that there are guys out there that have more antennas and lights on/in their trucks than I do!!

Almost forgot! -- Two Radio Shack PRO-2055's. One in my truck, one in my room. Great unit, mobile version of the PRO-97 so I use Starr's Win97 to program them.

Last edited:

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
OK, like I don't have enough scanners here, I went out and bought a pro-163 to add to the pile 2051,97,96,500 and more older one's. like 93,36,95,51 and the list just goes on. any one else get a new toy this weekend, my kid picked out a new nano while we where there and all I can say about rat shack has very poor service at best, they where jumping all over the place to sale a cell phone, but I brought my 10 year old son in to the shack and it ain't the same shack that myself and my Dad went to years ago, I mean good God what the heck happened. when I could get someone to sale me something all you could smell is weed on her and she was the manger. Now I would have taken my money down the road but the sale on these items ended today.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a pro-197 earlier this month. So far I have imported my pro97 files using win500. into it to save some time but the object oriented memory is still confusing. It works great, however there seems to be some front end overloading on the 800 trunked systems which is typical for these I hear. I may need to play around with the multi-site roam or stationary feature. I took a road trip over to Vantage/Yakima area yesterday and was picking up the Benton County system from Mattawa and all the way into Yakima before it dropped out.

It stayed with some of the countywide King Co TG's till just after Stampede Exit heading east. Pretty impressed.

Even with a open coil 800mhz antenna, fender mount with LMR200 coax, I was receiving WSP units on Hwy 16 in Tacoma from Olympia.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I picked up a pro-197 earlier this month. So far I have imported my pro97 files using win500. into it to save some time but the object oriented memory is still confusing. It works great, however there seems to be some front end overloading on the 800 trunked systems which is typical for these I hear. I may need to play around with the multi-site roam or stationary feature. I took a road trip over to Vantage/Yakima area yesterday and was picking up the Benton County system from Mattawa and all the way into Yakima before it dropped out.

It stayed with some of the countywide King Co TG's till just after Stampede Exit heading east. Pretty impressed.

Even with a open coil 800mhz antenna, fender mount with LMR200 coax, I was receiving WSP units on Hwy 16 in Tacoma from Olympia.
I know it can be a hand full my PSR-500 has a very big learning curve to it.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I finally split up Clackamas and Washington Co. into two separate scan lists but still missed a step in naming scan list 11 as Clackamas Co, so more tinkering around. I wish there was a better tutorial for these. It's mostly been luck. The updated GRE manual is better.

weco12

Hi everyone. Name: Brian Preston. I live in Moses Lake and work for a 2-way radio dealer. My hobby began around 20 years ago. Spectrum Communications, Inc. is a Kenwood Radio dealer as well as EF Johnson, and Relm/BK. We service ALL business and public service entities in the Pacific Northwest. We do programming and frequency selection as well.

I run a website for local frequencies. http://www.scannerfreqs.org

If I can be of assistance for ANY frequencies, etc for areas of Eastern Washington/Eastern Oregon, please ask.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Hi All:

I'm Rob. I live in the Fremont/Phinney Ridge area of Seattle. I'm an active ham, commercial radio gear geek and scanner listener.

My primary scanners are a couple of Pro-97 handhelds. One in the truck, one in the house. I mostly monitor Seattle Fire. Other radios include a Thales 25, a VHF EFJ5100, several /\/\oto radios, including a selection of Astro Sabers, 900 Mhz MTS2000, a bunch of low band and VHF MT1000 (I think those reproduce when I'm not looking!) and in the truck is a TK-730/830, TM-D700, FT-100 and lowband GE Orion.

Aside from being a ham, I'm involved with King County SAR and the American Red Cross, thus all the radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.