• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to CB and New to the Forum...

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
“Most” of a great mobile system is $650. It’s easy to go past that. I don’t think I’ve ever exceeded $1,300 on the big truck which complicates every factor.

The expense is more tools & supply than one might guess.

Q5 + NMO antenna + excellent power system is about $450-$500. Add coax choke plus DX-901 and $50 in RF Bonds (DIY) and it’s an additional $200.

$650-$700 is fair, IMO, as it’s the direct replacement cost which is at issue (not tools, supply, labor).

That’s one helluva system right there. Another $200 isn’t going to seem like much after all that work. And even if experiments make little improvement, one’s other systems may benefit.

The money seems impressive, but really it’s the labor of doing one’s best. Needs 2-3 installs done before it gets easier.

Given your video of looking for an empty channel, I’d say the base station was well worth it.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The cost vs. benefit thing matters. Back in 1997, I bought a new vehicle, had it immediately outfitted with dual-band ham & SSB capable CB. I drove it across the country, a few weeks later, and it allowed me to avoid a 16 mile backup. I figured that the CB, at a minimum, paid for itself with just that incident.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
The cost vs. benefit thing matters. Back in 1997, I bought a new vehicle, had it immediately outfitted with dual-band ham & SSB capable CB. I drove it across the country, a few weeks later, and it allowed me to avoid a 16 mile backup. I figured that the CB, at a minimum, paid for itself with just that incident.

One can find suitable metric.
Confidence he can find the information changes the way he travels.

merlin

Trust me, I'm trying, lol

I keyed up 51 days ago

This has all shown up since...

View attachment 165056

Obviously doesn't include what I'm actually running, or what I've passed off to the wife, or the extra antennas.

Not exactly extensive, but a pretty good start

If I keep up the pace I could be a divorced CB shop owner with a discount code in no time! 😂
If you get into the technicals of RF, Its gonna cost you a fortune in tools/test equipment.
I started almost 5 decades ago and figure my full bench, 100 pounds of hand tools would cost $30 K to replace.
Not counting all the RF junk I hav acquired. Most recent was a Nano VNA and Tiny SA ultra. (those are cost effective.)

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
$30k into a Harley isn’t remarkable.
And it’s good for nothing.
Which is why it’s pushed by Hollywood.

KI4ZNG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it's not hard to sink a bunch of money in this hobby! I too have bought some items that did not live up to my expectations or was just pure junk.

niceguy71

I thought the whole purpose was to be able to go through the woods with your antenna?
I kept figuring you would get a very whippy antenna ..... or maybe get a Styker AR10 that you can unscrew and put a weather cap on when you're going through heavy woods..... then I thought I bet he eventually will put a 102 stainless steel whip on and when you go through the woods you'll bend it down and bungy cord it to the passenger mirror?
but that rigid antenna is the last thing I thought you would settle on seeing you need to go into the woods.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Big Ears precedes a loud mouth. That antenna will do both. A 108” doesn’t exceed it (except maybe stationary), and a Predator 10K mid-coil is its only rival. Both are a lot taller. The Stryker base load is a re-badged, re-cased Wilson 5000.

With a fold-over on a top mount, he can do most of what he’ll want to do. I wouldn’t have guessed he’d try it, either.

Highway King.

niceguy71

A 108” doesn’t exceed it (except maybe stationary),

I was thinking of the 108 SS Whip for the woods... it takes a pretty good beating and performs pretty well so they tell me.. and if it does get a bend in it or break what do they cost? $20? so even if he had to replace it a few times a year I thought it would be an all around solution for what he wanted.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I was thinking of the 108 SS Whip for the woods... it takes a pretty good beating and performs pretty well so they tell me.. and if it does get a bend in it or break what do they cost? $20? so even if he had to replace it a few times a year I thought it would be an all around solution for what he wanted.

Too tall. Whips around like mad at highway speed.

15’ plus clearance on my truck.

GR45 is 11’

jcrmadden

that rigid antenna is the last thing I thought you would settle on seeing you need to go into the woods.

Nothing is settled... I'm just addicted to antennas on QD's

Change of scenery, better swap that antenna...

Both mounts are still wired up and the new one will be too. Just swap coax at the back of the radio until I pull the trigger on the coax switch (inevitable really).

a Predator 10K mid-coil is its only rival.

A Predator 10k-27 is probably my next antenna, lol

Assuming I can keep walking passed that Wilson 20k hanging in the travel center... It comes in black you know...

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
WILSON ain’t what it used to be.

Major loss of street cred vs LIGHTNING or COWTOWN ANTENNAS.

I read that Kales son took over manufacture of the latter. When you read, “Aerospace Aluminum”, realize that they’re right down the road from Air Force Plant 4 in Fort Worth, TX near the complex of sub-contractors.

IMG_6035.png

Bar at the best steakhouse after your tour:

IMG_1663.jpeg

Last (final) great city in Texas.

Last edited:

niceguy71