• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to CB and New to the Forum...

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I'm hoping to prove out (good or bad) how accurate the on board SWR meter is in the QT60/Q5...

View attachment 164780

Here's to hoping that it's pretty accurate...

That's from a dead key this morning

You’ll see on other forums where the tech savvy (genuine article) re-adjust factory spec on the meter. Too much base station antenna, and a new diesel pickup worth of test bench gear.

For us knuckle-draggers ALL meter readings are relative in re what we’re hearing.

Always blame conditions: “Sorry, will repeat, got trapped behind a Ford”. That there is a moment TX Clarity will crack ‘em up given one’s vocal edge admits wisdom bought thru the pain of having suffered 19-yr old lance corporals.

IMG_1206.jpeg

Is that man headed the other way?,
is how I use the meters. Might be a crossing highway. That’ll get your attention they announce a fatality accident.

Long as SWR looks good . . . I’m good. (After dial-in, then after morning pre-trip inspection).

Rain can change it. Ice is a real problem. And anything under 1.5:1 is gold.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Step bit is the usual choice. For roof, though:

IMG_2175.jpeg

I used an ancient radio chassis punch allegedly owned by Marconi’s grandson (cough) to install the puck mount on my Dodge.

IMG_2253.jpeg

Super clean cut (for those following along) and — past Pilot hole — zero metal shavings. Just have to have access for quarter-drive from one side and closed-end on other. Dropped headliner on one side.

LAIRD makes a hole-saw of exact depth for those doing NMO in roof, which is the lowest risk choice. See posts by @mmckenna .

Don’t drop headliner, just access thru dome light.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

Don’t drop headliner, just access thru dome light.

No worries with the headliner; Hole is going in the topper.

Company owns the truck, still can't drill there. But we split the cost of the topper. Ergo it's half mine.

Still a permission verses forgiveness equation if something happens, but more to my favor than a hole in the truck.

Cab and topper nearly equal length. Front of topper is nearly truck center and slightly higher (couple inches) than cab. Assuming proper bonding should be best location.

I thought you had it all set up for a 7 foot skip shooter?

I do. The wife and I had a little miscommunication about antenna lengths for my Father's day request, and now I have two 7' skipshooters

Truth is I'm already up to 4 antennas all on Hustler QDs.

I'm also giving serious thought to adding the Predator 10K as #5.

If I'm going to get the most out of that "Goofy Antenna" she's going on a puck.

Topper has serious reinforcement up top. 300# rolling payload and 700# static. So no worries with wind loading.

Has to come off when I hit the woods though, and still weighing options to protect the bare mount.

Topper has preinstalled rails for crossbars. Also still considering some sort of shark fin fore and aft to act as a deflector.

I plan to complete both installs and use a Coax Switch like this so I'm not jacking with coax too.

Just one QD off, one QD on, and the flip of a switch.

Flexibility for best performance in given condition.

.... you drilling a hole in the wife's vehicle???

:censored: Ssshhhhh....

I do have an extra 7' skip shooter though. Be a shame not to use it...

Kinda her fault anyway, :ROFLMAO:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
This would be tougher than the 10K. What I run on the big truck. The “toughness” makes up for small change from 10k which is Modular, it’s a beaut, but you’ll be buying new sections.

On one of these.

No need to remove, just lay over.

IMG_5774.jpeg

Have to figure out which mount. Jerry is not a radio guy if you call him, but he knows his offerings. The 5k is not light, is tall and — while a lower wind load than 10K — may need a more substantial mount.

He might say, CB BALL. Just got expensive
. Tool needed to lay over unless separate one bought.

Since you’re getting yourself a VNA, then figuring out which shaft length past the 5” it’s sold with (if needed) can be gotten from Walcott.

Their sale price today is great.

This is 163 DukDik in the Desert. It’s maybe the one good video he’s done. How to think about coil seal, etc.

It’ll extend past hatch when down. So, something to cushion & locate, plus some way to get it up out of the way when accessing bed. The whip has pretty good flex.

I run this Corona ball on the tips of mine. See eBay and MACO for types. RF JUNK. That’ll help in avoiding SS eye-jabber stick.

IMG_5776.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
NOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING????? I thought you had it all set up for a 7 foot skip shooter? .... you drilling a hole in the wife's vehicle???

You and I are gonna meet up and find him. An after dark o’clock install of multi-colored rock lights under his truck that fire & flash whenever he keys up.

A novelty horn under back bumper that fires from key-off wodger bip and as reversing alarm, Aircraft Stall Warning

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

This is the single brand I see recommended, over and over. $$$

Need one of the big dogs to advise. Start a search for good opinion at lower cost.

Someday.

jcrmadden

On one of these.

No need to remove, just lay over.

Something like this... Puck Mount

Would rather have 6x6 backing plate and SO239 over ring terminal. I will reach out soon and ask what he can do with that...

A novelty horn under back bumper that fires from key-off wodger bip and as reversing alarm, Aircraft Stall Warning

The Dixie Horn version may be a better, more colloquial option... That or the AhOOOgA!

The anthem of our soul's true proclivities.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Good choice.

We’re here to have some fun. In amongst what tasks Honor & Duty demand. So it’s no longer at the expense of another so much as the stories which reveal.

Underside of mine. 2’ coax run. You’ll want LMR-240UF or similar. Times-Microwave or Messi & Paoloni equivalent. Best grade of AMPHENOL 90-degree connector just ahead of an Antenna feedpoint choke unless you DIY.

May have plug in floor of truck to run coax thru.

IMG_2294.jpeg

Nothing funnier than when a man can tell stories on himself. Pryor could take it to the next level.

Doesn’t take anywhere near this much charisma in chicken-band land once NRC onboard.

It’s just enough to light the fuse.
And start getting this cluster un-f.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

**Giggles in HF**

KIMG2384~2.JPG

"Moron probably screws wearing Micky Mouse ears"

P.s. This was just for kicks and they're already off... No need to throw shade...

If you have the toys you might as well play, and the cophase harness made for cheap fun.

Total height was 12' 5" but there's only 4' between them so no benefit.

Did manage to get SWR to 1.8. Probably could do better, but ran out of tuning nail.

For anyone else playing with SkipShooters a galvanized spiral decking nail fits beautifully and they come in longer lengths

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
“Imaginative” on-air comments may result.

Does they light up?

IMG_5784.jpeg

End of the world comes then you and the old lady just need to accessorize a little to git outta town with no hassle.

IMG_5786.jpeg

IMG_5785.png

All leg-pullin’ aside, there’s no substitute for experience in trying to make it work.

One of my favorite stories involved a gee-whiz smart country boy who tuned an 1800W amateur transceiver rig to use a soldered metal shed roof as the antenna base. Called it, The Dual Use Raccoon Roaster.

As they’d have said in my state, That wasn’t his first rodeo.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Someone else will wonder, so:

From FIRESTIK:

Spacing of the antennas in a dual antenna installation will have an affect on the radiation pattern of the antennas. Technically, spacing between the antennas should be nine feet (2.7m) to have the most balanced pattern. If that distance cannot be achieved, that alone should not discourage you from using co-phased antennas as you will still receive most of the benefits of a dual antenna set-up. However, spacing less than five feet (1.5m) may require some special tuning skills in order to achieve satisfactory SWR readings.

FWIW, I have yet to hear a cophase pickup sound as good as a single done right. Pilot Car Granny with a 45W Export running thru a base mount Wilson 5000 on a mini-van roof kicks tarnation out of everybody else.

Literally, some of my longest-ever contacts have been with those.

Cophase is a workaround for big trucks with that 13’ 2” trailer back there.

You see a Uni-bilt Pete tanker-yanker with an antenna on the cab or sleeper (not back) you may have run into The King of the Road.

The cophase pickups have a tendency to be in the “compensating for something” crowd cause they have to add a 667 Texas Star to get out.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Cophase on a pickup has roots:

IMG_5787.jpeg
He was Daddy & Grandaddy of the dueling banjo boy.

Aint memes something?

To think they owe it all to CB radio chatter.

Shut down 19 with those ideas expressed the right way as 10” lift weaves 85 thru traffic . . and become one of the exalted:

.IMG_2391.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
**Giggles in HF**

View attachment 164889

"Moron probably screws wearing Micky Mouse ears"

P.s. This was just for kicks and they're already off... No need to throw shade...

If you have the toys you might as well play, and the cophase harness made for cheap fun.

Total height was 12' 5" but there's only 4' between them so no benefit.

Did manage to get SWR to 1.8. Probably could do better, but ran out of tuning nail.

For anyone else playing with SkipShooters a galvanized spiral decking nail fits beautifully and they come in longer lengths

Very nice that TTL Clearance at 12’-5”. That’s just below my “in-town” 7’ antenna at 13’ which I consider easy-to-live-with (I don’t do drive-thru as it wastes diesel + increases engine wear, and I don’t live where parking garages clearance is needed).

KANE4109

**Sighs**

**Adds to Cart**
Do those really DO anything for the antenna?
Years ago my middle son (the only radio type!!!!) picked me up a 102" whip from a friend and gave it to me. I noticed it didn't have the corona ball on it... I guess somebody cut it off somewhere along the way.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Years ago my middle son (the only radio type!!!!) picked me up a 102" whip from a friend and gave it to me. I noticed it didn't have the corona ball on it... I guess somebody cut it off somewhere along the way.

You’ll see the argument made about needing larger size,,etc. To me it’s a visual reference, & a way of avoiding getting stabbed

102 ought to have had a very small end item.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

At reasonable CB power, no, not necessary.

A lot of those 102" whip were not tunable, as in the whip was not removable from the 3/8 x 24 stud. The only way to cut them was to start at the top. Common to see this on the old VHF low band 1/4 wave whips.

The ball on the end, in this application, is more about safety. You don't want the sharp end whiping around and hitting someone.

jcrmadden

NanoVNA deployed today...

SWR for channel 19 is approximately 1.8

KIMG2448~2.JPG

Best SWR is at the bottom of the range (~1.5)

KIMG2450~2.JPG

Worst is at the top of the range (~2.3)

KIMG2451~2.JPG

On board meter at channel 19...

KIMG2367~2.JPG