New to scanners. New Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stNight

Premium Subscriber
I found out I was getting a scanner for Christmas and signed up for this website. I've been reading some of the past questions that folks have posted but I havn't really found anything thatdescribes what I've gotten myself into. So here goes.

Equipment:
Radio Shack Pro-106 scanner
Radio Shack Scanner Programming Cable item number 20-546
ARC500 Software-paid for the software
Radio Reference member

Recent Status:
Downloaded 350 frequencies for my area from RadioReference.com.
After trying for 2 hours to upload to the scanner on Com1 I read in the forum to check which port my cable was actually trying to use. DOH!!! it's should be Com3. Successfully uploaded 350 frequencies using Com3.
I can push the PGM button and see all of the freq. that I've loaded into the scanner by using the ^ v keys.
I push the SCAN button and the scanner briefly flashes scanning and then says"Nothing enabled" and flashes what looks like channels 1-20.

Current Status:
Totally lost as to how to get the scanner to scan the freqs that I've uploaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you need to assign those 350 frequencies to various banks and then enable at least one bank to scan. I use win500 software to load my pro106 but I am fairly confident the method to assign the freqs to banks is similar. Try highlighting a frequency and then putting a check mark into one of the group keys. Also, you probably have to go about it by determining what is a TRS and what is a conventional frequency. You can mix the two in one bank.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I push the SCAN button and the scanner briefly flashes scanning and then says"Nothing enabled" and flashes what looks like channels 1-20.

Current Status:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Push the 1 key to enable scan list 1 (the default scan list), and see if that helps.

21stNight

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for both of your replies. I think you got me started on the right track. I went back to the software and in the column labeled "scan lists" I put a 1. Then I uploaded the list to the scanner and it rebooted and began to scan all the channels but only picking anything up on 1. I then went back into the software and grouped everything on 1,5,and 6 and uploaded again. The scanner rebooted and began scanning all the freqs on 1,5,and 6. I then went to the scanner and disabled everything except 1,5, and 6. So I have all Fire, PD, and road maintenance enabled. Looks like everything is scanning as it should. Scanner works great by the way.

Johncwlir

pro 160

[Current Status:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me Christmans day with my new pro 160. Seems that the software kept putting all the freq that I downloaded in the Not Scanned folder on my scanlist preview. I had to go into my scan lists and make sure that auto place into scan list was selected. After I did this, I had to download again, into the software then look to see that my scan lists were getting populated with the freq. Once I did that I uploaded to the radio again and I did not get the error message.

All seems to be good now.

dekindy

The good news is that AFAIK, Pro 95 user but have only had the Pro 106 a couple of days, you have everything that you need!

When you say you downloaded 350 frequencies, do you mean the 350 trunked radio systems in the U.S.? That number is probably not a coincidence. This was an unnecessary step since your Pro 106 came with that data already loaded! I hate to be a jerk, but have you read any of the maerials that came with your scanner? I went online and read the manual before purchasing the scanner and have looked through it several times and still have many questions. I suggest you do the same.

Go to page 76 of the manual and load a V-Scanner folder to the main memory. I live in Indiana so l loaded folder 14 which covers IN and MI and enabled lists 4 and 8 for Hamilton and Marion counties which is the area that I live. I have not been able to listen to anything yet and don't know why since everything appears to be set up properly. Page 74 explains the two memory storage types and the bottom of the page explains the preloaded 350 municipalities. There is a separate manual that came in your Pro 106 box detailing the V-folder content so that you know which V-scanner folder to load.

If you are using rechargeable batteries you have to set the battery type to Nicad or Nimh, page 18, since the default is for alkalines. Apparently the Pro 106 has a battery gauge.

I have experience with the Pro 95 and based upon my reading anticipated this would be a big adjustment and it is. However, the documentation for this scanner seems to be much better so I am hopeful.

BTW, the term "banks" is obsolete since it applies to Pro 9x series analog scanners. This and the new terminology is explained starting on page 9 of your manual.

Last edited:

Astrak

The stuff in the V folders aren't always accurate, the information for the Phoenix area was wrong in my PRO 106. It's just best to program it yourself.

dekindy

The stuff in the V folders aren't always accurate, the information for the Phoenix area was wrong in my PRO 106. It's just best to program it yourself.

Thank you, you are correct. I went to the database after posting my reply above and found that the Marion County, Indianapolis, has switched to digital as of April 2010 so the preloaded frequencies are out of date. Obviously this means that the unit I purchased on Christmas Eve was manufactured and preloaded before then. I thought it would be more current than that.

The Hamilton County database was updated November 2010 and appears to be the EDACS system that was preloaded. Apparently there has been a change that makes the preloaded data obsolete or they have switched to digital recently. I will have to find out.

I have read the manual extensively but am just now getting to the Radio Reference database. What is the best strategy for downloading frequencies for my area? Do I have to be selective for a major metropolitan area like Indianapolis or does the scanner have adequate memory to download everything? I live in Hamilton County, a major suburb or Indianapolis so I want to cover that area also. Do I download all airport frequencies to V-folder 1, police and fire to V-folder 2, etc?

OP, hope I am not hijacking your thread but I am sure you have these questions also.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
21, unzip and load this ARC500 to your. Scanlist 8 (WVA Interop P25) and list 9 + 10 (WV Conv) are ready to run.

Last edited:

jimsmowin

manual

i go to radio shack web and print the manuals off the printer on 8.5x11 paper then put in a three ring binder, found that they are much easer to read this way, just a sugestion

Status
Not open for further replies.