New Tram antenna, new ft2980r, barely making repeater

K6GBW

Considering the terrain, you are trying to talk from I'm not surprised. Rolling hills and trees can really mess with your signal. The Tram 1480 is very similar to the Comet GP-6 and isn't necessarily a bad antenna. It's just your location more than anything. VHF and UHF are both line of sight, meaning that the higher you can get your antenna the further to the horizon you can see. In the Army we used VHF and usually got no more than 5-10 miles with it. Beyond that we had to use HF (I was before satellite). So, about the only option you have left is to get it higher if you can. If you can't then this may be as good as it's going to get.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I live in a very hilly region.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that you make any changes from your present set-up, but here's some brief antenna theory as food for thought:
The Tram 1480 is (supposedly) a high-gain antenna. Antennas achieve gain by compressing or focusing their pattern towards the horizon, at the expense of the higher angles. Think of the light from a normal light bulb (all directions) versus the flatter pattern from, say, car headlights.

Gain antennas are great for prominent mountaintop stations and areas where the surrounding terrain is essentially flat, but they can be a detriment in hilly locales since the flatter pattern cannot go very far without running into a hill. Because of this difference in antenna pattern between a gain antenna and a lesser gain/no gain antenna, sometimes a lesser antenna will work better since there is a greater opportunity for the signal to bounce around or reflect off the nearby hills.

All of this theory depends, of course, on the actual physical conditions at your location, so I'm not suggesting that you tear down your antenna and put up a simple ground plane. That said, however, you might wish to experiment to see how a non-gain antenna might work from your location. I also live in a hilly area and I've found that a standard whip antenna on my truck seems to work better than one with high gain numbers.

John_S

Premium Subscriber
Location and surrounding terrain on VHF/UHF is everything and makes a huge difference. With 40 watts and my GP-6, I can easily work 2M repeaters 40-60 miles or more away, but my terrain is relatively flat and some of those machines are very well situated. When I try working simplex to my west, a major hill 20 miles away cuts me right off, even when using a small beam and the other party is at an elevation of over 2000'. Line of sight is a major rule of thumb. Take a look at this neat on line tool and see what you find. https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/rf-line-of-sight/