New Uniden BCD396T Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomadder49

Decided to go digital and when I looked the the owner's manual I thought, now this can't be so bad, but I am totally lost with setting this scanner up. If anyone in Delaware has one and would be willing to help I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Many thanks,
Nomadder49

doctordave

Your best plan of action is to download the Uniden 396's programming software & get familiar with it. Once you have the software up, programming the radio is actually a piece of cake.

You'll want to set up individual systems for NCC, Kent and Sussex Counties. Each system will have its own set of trunking frequencies (see our DE database for sites 001, 002 & 003, respectively). Take a little time to play around w/ the software & let us know how it's going.

Nomadder49

Thanks Dave for responding so quickly. I downloaded the Uniden programming software for the 396T. You referenced the DE database for sites 001, 002 & 003, are you referring to the K-TAC channels? Also, when I start programming the scanner do I need to know the frequencies for each town or how is it set up? You mentioned to get aquainted with the software so do I just connect the scanner and go with it? Does the program have a demo mode? I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I don't want to mess up this unit by not knowing what to do.

Thanks again,
Jerry (Nomadder49)

doctordave

Jerry,

You won't have to worry about causing any problems w/ the unit by playing around w/ settings, programming, etc....you can always overwrite whatever you create again and again.

As far as the sites.... look in the database at the following link:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=411

You'll see collections of frequencies under 001, 002, 003. Each collection will constitute the freqs for the NCC, Kent Co & Sussex Co systems, respectively. Choose "Motorola Type II standard" as the system type. You may also choose which particular talk groups, within each system, you might want to scan....as opposed to searching through each system & hearing everything including the dog catcher.

Your software may require you to register via uniden.com for a software key - so that you can unlock the full features. Mine actually never required this. No charge for the key & full features.

See how you make out w/ entering the data. Then the scanner may be connected to the computer via included cable & the data may be downloaded. Quite a complex radio, so it will take some time to get the hang of it. Keep us posted on how you are coming along. The learning curve w/ these new digitals is steep.

See the following links for some easier to follow info on the radio:
http://www.grove-ent.com/SCANNERPROGRAMMING.htm
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396T

Last edited:

Nomadder49

Still not able to program BCD396T

Well Dave, here I am again. I called Uniden support and they would not assist me with programming. They told me to look at the simplified instructions. I have, and still do not understand. I downloaded the firmware, but nothing is working. I connected my scanner to my computer, took out the battries and held the L/O and '6' keys and got the blue screen. I got to the BC_VUB firmware update version 1.0.0.8 and pressed "guided" and then selected COM1 and hit ok. I then came to a screen which lists file name, which is blank and type of file it lists below in the next box firmware *.scn. If I hit ok nothing comes up because there is no file name! Do know of anyone in Delaware that can either program this thing for me or that I can go to and walk me through it? I would greatly appreciate it. I am about to the end of my rope on this one. Thanks, Jerry

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I then came to a screen which lists file name, which is blank and type of file it lists below in the next box firmware *.scn. If I hit ok nothing comes up because there is no file name!

At this point, you should select the firmware load you are trying to apply. This load is a seperate file you download from here: BCD396T_V1_11_03.zip (you actually d/l then unzip the above...the zipped file is the "scn" file the updater is looking for at that prompt).

Nomadder49

BCD 396T Problems....

White Russian,

I live in Clayton and work at Christiana Hospital

Jerry

WhiteRussian

Hi Jerry.

I have commercial software to program your scanner in my office in North Wilmington (just off of Marsh Road) on Philadelphia Pike. If you'd like we can schedule a meeting. I'm usually on the road during the days but I'm in my office from 7:30AM till 8:30AM or so and then at the end of the day from 4:00 PM till around 6PM.

I used to have a 396T.

Let me know if any of this works for you.

Best,
Brian

doctordave

Jerry,

You probably DO NOT need the firmware update.....I have a few 396s that work beautifully on the DE systems w/ the prior versions of firmware. Hold off on this for now.

Go to the below-listed website and download the actual software for programming:
http://www.uniden.com/index/downloadfile.cfm?product=BCD396T&dwnld_id=123

Once you get the software loaded up, let me know. I think you'll find it easy enough to navigate w/ a little help. I can even try to email you my DE files.

Check your PM.... I sent you some brief instructions for getting the software programmed.

Last edited:

maansman

Premium Subscriber
Jerry -

I was the same way. Being new to Delaware, I needed a new scanner for the digital stuff. After spending over $500, I figured I was ready. Well, few weeks gone by and I was stumped.

Now, I am pretty good at programming it (Had it for about 2 months) and using the software. At first, a member here gave me the files for all Delaware scanning. I have since learned to modifiy some of that info, to customize for me....but, loading it in the software help me understand.

Now that I know how to use it, I love it. Best scanner I ever owned. I even program the Fire-Tone out for my local fire deparment when I visit Long Island, where I am originally from.

Now, I am not a super expert, but I know enough to get it going.

I live New Castle, DE, and would be willing to help you with what ever you need.

Best of luck -
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.