Newbie request for sub $500USD wideband listening equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC_63559

Hi all. A friend and I are looking into purchasing our first listening equipment. I'm in rural NE Missouri, he is near Quebec. We are both in our 60s and have similar desires: start a new retiree hobby, having the time now to enjoy one - have some money but not infinite - want to buy once and not regret what we buy (mostly a fear that we have missed some critical feature) - consider units like the Eton 750 and Grundig 800 "sexy" - and enjoying the time we are spending reading reviews. We both realize that SW is fading in the world, are both computer literate (and recognize that fade is mostly due to the internet), but want to be able to listen in on what's happening in the world both now, and should TSHTF. Going full bore HAM would be uncomfortable financially - there is just too much cool equipment out there and we would be tempted, so are limiting ourselves to listening. Portability is not at play here. My unit, for instance, will sit on a shelf in my office - likely way too close to computer monitors, cell phones, etc., but that is where we live (follows the general guideline that "the best piece of equipment is the one you actually use frequently"). So the equipment will be in our man caves where we spend 10+ hours a day. We will both add external antenna's so care less about whip performance (initially something like the MLA 30+ unless you educate us differently) or other built-in antennas, with a desire to be able to bypass them when an external is plugged in. We are both comfortable doing very basic electronic modifications like the well documented MW122A power supply mods. Don't ask us to do anything that requires wave soldering or to work with chips placed with tweezers! (e.g. Old eyes, old hands).

Over the past few days we have been reading reviews and taking notes. On our list so far (in order of research):

Eton Elite 750 - sexy, good size - but concerned about build quality
Sangean ATS-909x2 - love the NiMH support (anything that takes standard batteries will probably get rechargeable full voltage Li Ion batteries used in it)
Tecsun PL-660 - QC issues
ATS20/25 - just to small for me, acceptable for him.
Tecsun S-8800
Grundig 800 - good rep, max size we will consider
Panasonic RF+B65 - Nice look but 30+ year old tech
Tecsun H-501 - nice size
Tecsun PL-990 - seems like one of the latest
maybe a used Icom R75
and a few others we simply rejected out of hand due to no SSB or no reviews

We would buy new anything still available that way, but are not overly shy buying something used that is older and simply better (e.g. built at an original price point that allowed for it be better than todays tech).

Given that we both live on our computers, and have or will have adequate backup power to run them should the internet/grid go away, we would consider some radio receivers that plug into those computers that are software driven - if that was the recommendation. Will missing tuning with a knob though <smile>. We have not done any research beyond indications such devices exist.

Some features, like Bluetooth that allows the use of the radios speakers, is beyond us. Or other electronics have their own, superior, speaker systems. Now if we could Bluetooth the radio into them... <lol>

Anyhow, we would greatly appreciate both recommendations and steerage away duds (so long as something is left on the list or you recommend an alternative in our price range). For instance, we read that the Eton/Grundig Elite 750 was good but the Satellite 750 should be avoided...

Thanks in advance for your support!

KevinC_63559

I own one and it's a great base shortwave receiver. It's in a class above all the other radios you are considering. It has excellent ergonomics too.

Appreciate that. Are there reputable used dealers or must one depend on e-bay? Purchased used radio equipment is not something either of us have experience with.

KevinC_63559

I see that the R75 spec goes up to 60MHz. My understanding is that FM goes up to 108MHz, so only partial coverage of that band. Should I care? That would also preclude hearing aircraft right? (Pretty sure I don't care about that unless somebody explains to me why I should given that I'm well over 100 miles from anything other than regional airports without towers.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

I see that the R75 spec goes up to 60MHz. My understanding is that FM goes up to 108MHz, so only partial coverage of that band. Should I care? That would also preclude hearing aircraft right? (Pretty sure I don't care about that unless somebody explains to me why I should given that I'm well over 100 miles from anything other than regional airports without towers.
I would get a second receiver for the higher VHF bands. ICOM ICR-8500 or similar. If FM broadcast is what you seek, you cannot beat a good FM stereo receiver from the 70's or 80's . I have a DENON tuner from that era that will drive small speakers and has multipath scope outputs.

merlin

I think the R75 will do you justice, but a key secret in LF, MF, HF monitoring is dont skimp on the antenna and feed. 2nd best antenna I have had was a 1/2 wave, 240 meter T3FD with ladder line feed.
Configured as a slopper, it is much omnidirectional.
Recomended preselector.
I fed that to a Collins R-390URR and if any decent signal cold reach me, I could hear it.
Think of your listening post as a system where your weakest link is the best you get.
Propagation, time of day or night, Solar flux. all play a part.

KevinC_63559

I would get a second receiver for the higher VHF bands. ICOM ICR-8500 or similar. If FM broadcast is what you seek, you cannot beat a good FM stereo receiver from the 70's or 80's . I have a DENON tuner from that era that will drive small speakers and has multipath scope outputs.
In reality, most FM stations are now available on the Internet - and hardly represent something I would require access to if things go very badly. But I agree - I had a really nice tuner back in the day.

Guess I'm missing what is of value, in the HF bands. Its not like I want to listen in on my neighbors cell phones or ancient 2GHz portable phones. This is likely just a total lack of education of my part, so please address.

KevinC_63559

The ICOM ICR-8500 tunes continuously from 0.1 to 2000 MHz,* with 10 Hz resolution

Yeah, nice unit. Seeing two on e-bay for $950 used. Well past my target price of $500... but...

BTW - How important is the R75's 1 Hz tuning vs. the 8500's 10 Hz tuning.

Still trying to get a grip on caring about anything over 30MHz. Would love some basic education on that.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yeah, nice unit. Seeing two on e-bay for $950 used. Well past my target price of $500... but...

BTW - How important is the R75's 1 Hz tuning vs. the 8500's 10 Hz tuning.

Still trying to get a grip on caring about anything over 30MHz. Would love some basic education on that.
You would probably not hear a 10hz difference in tuning.

Dirk_SDR

"Wideband listening equipment" is a nearly perfect description for SDR (software defined radio).
There are some good receivers like the Airspy HF+ Discovery, Nooelec NESDR SMArt v5 and others.
The rest of the $500 goes for (many) antennas, filters, baluns, ...

FKimble

(anything that takes standard batteries will probably get rechargeable full voltage Li Ion batteries used in it)
Your above statement makes me nervous. NiMh AA's in place of regular AA batteries can work fine. But Li Ion batteries come in different sizes an substituting say 4 Li Ion's (16.8 vDC) for 4 reg AA's (6 vDC) can release the magic smoke! Now a custom made external battery pack with the correct voltage would work fine with a good Li Ion charger.

Frank

KevinC_63559

(anything that takes standard batteries will probably get rechargeable full voltage Li Ion batteries used in it)
Your above statement makes me nervous. NiMh AA's in place of regular AA batteries can work fine. But Li Ion batteries come in different sizes an substituting say 4 Li Ion's (16.8 vDC) for 4 reg AA's (6 vDC) can release the magic smoke! Now a custom made external battery pack with the correct voltage would work fine with a good Li Ion charger.

Frank

I've been buying Li Ion AA and C cells for awhile now. (Just search on Amazon for "lithium rechargeable batteries aa"). Each comes in at 1.5V, just like an alkaline. NiMH make me nervous since they rate 1.2V, which is enough, most of the time, but has to be pushing the envelope. Of course, the charger needs to know the difference.

The Sangean ATS-909x2 manual indicates its designed for NiCad (ancient) and NiMH - so I'd go with NiMH there, not Li Ion.

The Tecsun H-501 build in charger is designed for its specialty Li Ion battery, so no choice there.

Anything else that uses regular AA, C, or D battery (Hello Eton 750) will not know the difference between a regular 1.5V Alkaline battery and a 1.5V Li Ion look-alike. I'll just be able to recharge the Li Ion offline. One note: beware low cost 1.5V C and D cell Li Ion's - they often just have a AA inserted into a bigger shell. Easy to tell, check the mAH rating...

Kevin

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for the R75, but I really like my IC-R20. You get the option to use battery pack or 3 AA batteries

KevinC_63559

"Wideband listening equipment" is a nearly perfect description for SDR (software defined radio).
There are some good receivers like the Airspy HF+ Discovery, Nooelec NESDR SMArt v5 and others.
The rest of the $500 goes for (many) antennas, filters, baluns, ...

Thanks for the shopping list! None of those were know to us prior to your post.

I'm still struggling with the value of wideband vs. 30MHz and down. Again, not looking to play FM stations on a $500+ rig with a mediocre speaker. I can play those through my surround sound systems if I so desire. Bluntly, likely due to lack of education, "Wideband" seems to be mostly a marketing thing - perhaps bragging rights - but what is worth listening too up in those ranges?

When I look at the https://www.ntia.doc.gov/ chart, I see the 6 meter band at 50Mhz - which the R75 would pull in. I'd miss out on the 2m band, which is sad. Aircraft band which are not exactly information packed is something I wouldn't miss (plus I'm along way from any major airport). Mobile bands are up there, but not interested in eavesdropping on private conversation. I see some amateur bands up around 2400MHz that the 8500 could pull in. Just curious what is out there that I'm not aware of that would be cool to listen in on???

Status
Not open for further replies.