NJICS Municipal Migration Discussion - Statewide

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Seeing some USAR radios affiliating to TG 4769. Maybe TGs 4769 to 4787 and the 247xxxx radios are actually NJTF1 and not NJSP? That would probably explain why I randomly see a 247xxxx radio affiliated to RWJ TGs (Right now 2470134 is affiliated to RWJ 1 Central 4407).

There's some indications (unconfirmed) 4769 might be the RTCC Talkgroup.

Also, Springfield First Aid Squad now has APX's with Maxrad AN000131A01's mounted for antennas.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Looking through UT files from run other day, a few notes, these have been mentioned from time to time. Off site (7). Encrypted.

TG 5119 (60) hits RID 254xxx No 254 radios found on other TG’s
TG 4771 (12) hits RID 247xxx No 247 radio found on other TG’s

RTCC?

jpb

Premium Subscriber
Any scuttlebutt on a new source for a Holmdel live stream? I realize this now only applies to Fire and First Aid...

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
With Homdel switching to NJICS. Any information on their "old" frequencies wether or not they are patched in and or now allocated to local and or backup use to NJICS?

techno981

Just got the word that Holmdel Twp switches to the state system today. Currently doing a roll call at 11 am.
Brand new to digital radio but knew something was up when no more analog transmissions across the board on all assigned Holmdel channels. Question is which trunking digital scanner to purchase to be able to pick up some of these channels ? Police is encrypted so I know that's off the table. Any guidance / assistance appreciated.

Last edited:

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Brand new to digital radio but knew something was up when no more analog transmissions across the board on all assigned Holmdel channels. Question is which trunking digital scanner to purchase to be able to pick up some of these channels ? Police is encrypted so I know that's off the table. Any guidance / assistance appreciated.

For Phase II - NJICS you need at minimum BCD996p2, BCD325p2. Also new new scanners from Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 - I am not sure what Whistler scanners do - but any scanner that handles Phase 2 will do it.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber

If you are going to invest in scanner to monitor the NJICS I would suggest going for the Uniden SDS 100 or SDS 200, or the Unication G5. The less expensive Phase 2 capable scanners do not work nearly as well on the NJICS, often missing a considerable number of transmissions in some areas. Also when in a location where multiple sites are received they may have trouble locking onto a control channel even in strong signal areas. If you search "Linear Simulcast Modulation" in the forum you can learn about some of the difficulties the early Phase 2 scanners had with NJICS. My SDS 100 and G5 run circles around my Uniden 436HP and BCD325P2.

techno981

If you are going to invest in scanner to monitor the NJICS I would suggest going for the Uniden SDS 100 or SDS 200, or the Unication G5. The less expensive Phase 2 capable scanners do not work nearly as well on the NJICS, often missing a considerable number of transmissions in some areas. Also when in a location where multiple sites are received they may have trouble locking onto a control channel even in strong signal areas. If you search "Linear Simulcast Modulation" in the forum you can learn about some of the difficulties the early Phase 2 scanners had with NJICS. My SDS 100 and G5 run circles around my Uniden 436HP and BCD325P2.
Thank you - already reading all about NJICS and it looks like the SDS100 is the way to go - might order today :) Trying to figure out what the Programming Upgrade Keys provide (DMR, ProVoice, NXDN) - back to doing some research !

techno981

For Phase II - NJICS you need at minimum BCD996p2, BCD325p2. Also new new scanners from Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 - I am not sure what Whistler scanners do - but any scanner that handles Phase 2 will do it.
Thank you ! Oh man - this is gonna be expensive :)

N2NHL

Thank you ! Oh man - this is gonna be expensive :)20210211_155124334_iOS.jpg

I had been out of the hobby for a while until I started back again with an original Home Patrol in 2015. Radio Shack had it for an insane price at their going out of business fire sale. I also picked up their Pro-668 (Whistler WS-1080 cousin) at an equally crazy price. These were my go-to for a while when it became clear that the PRO-668 wasn't doing well on receiving and decoding NJICS. I upgraded to SDS100 in 2018, followed by adding the SDS200 last year before the pandemic started. I am done buying scanners for a while (at least I keep telling myself that), but both the SDS100 and SD200 are great on NJICS. I have a soft-spot for the Home Patrol for all of the conventional VHF/UHF analog and trunked, but it also does well on P25 conventional and P25 Phase I - so I kept it. If you start up with one to begin with, just make it a good one. The SDS100 would not be a bad choice.

techno981

I had been out of the hobby for a while until I started back again with an original Home Patrol in 2015. Radio Shack had it for an insane price at their going out of business fire sale. I also picked up their Pro-668 (Whistler WS-1080 cousin) at an equally crazy price. These were my go-to for a while when it became clear that the PRO-668 wasn't doing well on receiving and decoding NJICS. I upgraded to SDS100 in 2018, followed by adding the SDS200 last year before the pandemic started. I am done buying scanners for a while (at least I keep telling myself that), but both the SDS100 and SD200 are great on NJICS. I have a soft-spot for the Home Patrol for all of the conventional VHF/UHF analog and trunked, but it also does well on P25 conventional and P25 Phase I - so I kept it. If you start up with one to begin with, just make it a good one. The SDS100 would not be a bad choice.
Thank you for this - I have to Radioshack Pro-97 which has worked extremely well over the years. Absolutely looking at the SDS100 or SDS200. Have you had to purchase (DMR, ProVoice, NXDN) keys... researching what they are and why I need them. I'm a fast learner so studying all of this...

NParkNJ

On the Road
Thank you - already reading all about NJICS and it looks like the SDS100 is the way to go - might order today :) Trying to figure out what the Programming Upgrade Keys provide (DMR, ProVoice, NXDN) - back to doing some research !

Depending where you are in the state, you may not even need or want any upgrades.

DMR is sporadically used throughout the state for PD's. Up by me, Pequannock, Kinnelon, lately Bloomingdale, and Rockaway out west, Vernon, and Hopatcong have it. It is more commonly used for businesses, DPW, etc.

Same with NXDN. Very very few law enforcement agencies use it. I believer Denville does. Again DPW, and businesses use NXDN generally. My town uses it for a tac channel(and even then, it's 1/2 encrypted).

ProVoice is a dying thing. Most notable was Middlesex County for a number of years, and some other agencies. They have since dumped those systems. I know up by me, there isn't any agency that I'm aware of using it.

I personally wouldn't spend the money(you have to if buying new, or if not already installed by someone else if buying used), unless what you want to listen to has those types of voice. Just my .02

techno981

With Homdel switching to NJICS. Any information on their "old" frequencies wether or not they are patched in and or now allocated to local and or backup use to NJICS?
Still hearing FD and First Aid on VHF 154.1000 - must be patched
I can confirm as of 2/11/2021 Still hearing FD and First Aid on VHF 154.1000 for Holmdel - might be patched

techno981

Depending where you are in the state, you may not even need or want any upgrades.

DMR is sporadically used throughout the state for PD's. Up by me, Pequannock, Kinnelon, lately Bloomingdale, and Rockaway out west, Vernon, and Hopatcong have it. It is more commonly used for businesses, DPW, etc.

Same with NXDN. Very very few law enforcement agencies use it. I believer Denville does. Again DPW, and businesses use NXDN generally. My town uses it for a tac channel(and even then, it's 1/2 encrypted).

ProVoice is a dying thing. Most notable was Middlesex County for a number of years, and some other agencies. They have since dumped those systems. I know up by me, there isn't any agency that I'm aware of using it.

I personally wouldn't spend the money(you have to if buying new, or if not already installed by someone else if buying used), unless what you want to listen to has those types of voice. Just my .02
This is very helpful - thank you !

edisonfire

I can confirm as of 2/11/2021 Still hearing FD and First Aid on VHF 154.1000 for Holmdel - might be patched
Will Holmdel primarily being hitting the Telegraph Hill site? I understand that a chief may be out of town at work etc and will affiliate into a much wider area. Meaning would it be the exception rather than the rule that Holmdel would be found on Union Simulcast site?

ProgMan66

I also heard Holmdel page out a mutual aid request today around 2pm on their 154.100 VHF FD/EMS channel. At least that side of their legacy system is still active.