• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NMO antenna mount installtion on aluminum F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
With the singing, has anyone found if a few pieces of elec tape, a string or flagging of some sort stops it? Something that breaks the wind up just slightly? I don't need pink flagging 24/7 on my antennas, but on the long trips with family where it becomes near mutiny, I couldn't care less how it looks.

OhSixTJ

With the singing, has anyone found if a few pieces of elec tape, a string or flagging of some sort stops it? Something that breaks the wind up just slightly? I don't need pink flagging 24/7 on my antennas, but on the long trips with family where it becomes near mutiny, I couldn't care less how it looks.

I’ve tried zip ties all over the whole and making little flags with electrical tap and neither helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emmett518

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for some instruction and guidance on installing an NMO mount on the roof of my 2019 Ford F-150. I have experience drilling through body panels and mounting antennas, but I'm not sure how the aluminum body affects the installation. I've read some threads here about aluminum Ford trucks that mention galvanic corrosion, but I didn't come across any complete examples of installation or what additional measures need to be taken when installing the antenna mount. How do I properly drill and install an NMO mount on the aluminum roof of my truck?
Any reason you can't use a Greenlee Chassis punch to create the 3/4 inch hole?

W5lz

I have no idea what the brand name of the thing is/was but I just used the correct size 'hole-drill' to drill the hole. The biggy is to make sure there isn't something on the other side of that body panel that will be affected.
I've had one instance where an antenna 'sang', that I know of, there was enough other noise that I may not have heard any singing. In that one instance a length of string near the top of the antenna 'cured' it. You can also play with the length of that string to change the tone of the singing if you want. Unless it was a particularly offensive 'note' I just didn't care. ... You could always hum along with it...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

No reason at all. I have one in my box of tricks that I sometimes use.
As long as it is a 0.750" punch, you're good. Only mistake I've seen people make is that they'll mistakenly grab a 3/4" "trade size" punch, which is designed for 3/4" knock outs on electrical boxes for connecting conduit. Those are around 1.11" size, and won't work with an NMO mount.

K7MFC

WRAA720

I suppose I could, but I already own an NMO hole saw bit so no need for me to go out and buy a new tool for this particular job.

cmdrwill

There was someone who mentioned a 'back up plate' under the roof held in place with the NMO mount.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber

I put DynaMat sections in the roof under the antenna mounts. Quieted mine right down.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Quick update on this - I've procured all the supplies I need to get started on the F150 install (including a new CS800D for some DMR fun!), and the first step will be drilling and installing the antenna mounts in the roof. I appreciate all the advice in this thread but want to double check one more thing before I get started this weekend. I recently found this service bulletin from Ford: "Attaching Accessories to Aluminum Panels and Structure." It states a few guidelines, including the following:
  • When installing fasteners into the mounting hole the fastener should not have contact or have an interference fit with the sheet metal.
  • For further protection, an isolation layer should be used between the two dissimilar metals.
This seems to contradict some things stated in this thread, given the Larsen NMO mounts I have are a nickel, copper and zinc alloy and the roof is aluminum. I'm just a bit confused about what exactly to do. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the information in the service bulletin, but Ford says galvanic corrosion "occurs where there is contact between different metals" and this doesn't seem to imply that water is necessary for it to occur.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are a lot of aluminum body Ford pickups out there in municipal fleets with antennas installed.
We have a few at work, and I haven't noticed any issues.

I check my antennas pretty regularly and usually remove the antenna after washing the trucks to make sure it's all OK under the antenna. I've never noticed any issues.

A properly installed NMO mount will have a gasket that will prevent water from getting under the mount. Using the Larsen NMOQ style 1/4 wave antennas gives you the big wide gasket, so again, no water getting under there. Only place that metal on metal occurs is on the underside, and it looks like it's been coated/sprayed with something.

I think the TSB that you are reading is more concerned with people running sheet metal screws through the body. I've seen installers screw down tool boxes with whatever self tapping screw they have laying around. Probably not a good idea.

prcguy

Or you could dump it and buy a Tundra. I think that will be my standard answer for any topic in the future. Truck is noisy? CB radio shuts down due to high SWR? Scanner doesn't receive P25 Phase 2? Dump it all and buy a Tundra.

Sometimes. Or I just roll all the windows down and enjoy it.
Had to make a run up the coast yesterday in the work truck. It was a bit foggy, so the antennas were really singing in the damp air.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Thank for your help as always, mmckenna. That's good to hear that you have not seen any issues in the late model Fords.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the information in the service bulletin, but Ford says galvanic corrosion "occurs where there is contact between different metals" and this doesn't seem to imply that water is necessary for it to occur.

You need an electrolyte for the corrosion to happen. Done right, there won't be any moisture able to get in there.

And aluminum has been used for ambulance bodies for a long time without issue.

Firekite

This seems to contradict some things stated in this thread, given the Larsen NMO mounts I have are a nickel, copper and zinc alloy and the roof is aluminum.
As compared to steel, which isn’t nickel, copper, or zinc alloy, either?

Status
Not open for further replies.